CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Thrifty Drive-In Theatres?

Author Topic: Thrifty Drive-In Theatres?
Daniel Fuentz

- posted August 20, 2005 11:04 AM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across this on Ebay, a printing block for a "Thrifty Drive-In Theatres, Inc." My first thought was that it was something to do with Thrifty Drug Stores, since the logos are very similar. Has anyone ever heard of this circuit?

Thrifty Drive-In logo:
 -

Thrifty Drug logo:
 -

|  IP: Logged

Joe Vogel

- posted August 21, 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Joe Vogel   Email Joe Vogel         Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about Thrifty Drug Company ever operating drive-in theatres, but I can say that the theatre logo is not just similar, but identical to the drug store logo as it was before the letters were fattened (which I think took place sometime in the 1960s.) I remember seeing the logo with thinner letters painted on the wall of the Thrifty Drug Store in Alhambra, California, when I was very young.

I Googled for an image of the old logo, and the best I could find was the sign in this photo from 1959 of a store in Phoenix. The painted signs used earlier were even closer in appearance to the drive-in logo.

Incidentally, the page where I found that photo also has a picture of a Phoenix Drive-In called the Silver Dollar, and, even better, links at the bottom leading to pages dedicated to the Fox and Orpheum Theatres in Phoenix. Lots of nice pictures.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 22, 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The Monterey Park Thrifty Drug looked almost identical to the picture posted. It was sold to Rite Aid and recently closed, but kept the same interior from the beginning, and Rite Aid never remodeled the store.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.