CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » No Stadiums?

Author Topic: No Stadiums?
Ron Pierce

- posted July 17, 2005 11:11 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I am wrong. I Have never actually been inside Loews Universal City Walk in Los Angeles, but I can't remember if their conventional screens have ever converted to stadiums.
Is it because they have a captive audience with no competition?
Ditto for the Magic Johnson 15. I can understand Loew's Beverly Center 15 (auditoriums to small) and the Marina Market Place (to old). But the City Walk? Can anyone name any other high-profile venues that haven't converted.

|  IP: Logged

George Gates

- posted July 18, 2005 08:08 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been there either, but I question the need for stadium seating to be retrofitted into existing auditoriums. If the seats are staggered (always) and the screen is large, what's the purpose, except for an advertising gimmick and the illusion that you've provided a better view?

Chris Utley

- posted July 18, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, you are correct about Universal Citywalk. None of their auditoriums have been reconverted into stadium seating. Only the IMAX room on the second floor has stadium seating...not to mention the most awkward seats I've ever sat in!

Magic Johnson Theatres started out as a non-stadium 12 screener with 6 auds to the left and 6 to the right 10 years ago. A couple of years later (I think in 1997), they added 3 stadium seating auditoriums on the right side of the complex.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 18, 2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Loew's Beverly Center just 13 screens, not 15? In the Santa Monica area only the Criterion Theatre has three rooms that are stadium seating. The AMC 7 and Loews Broadway 4 are still standard rooms.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.