CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Largest multiplex? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Largest multiplex?
Daniel J. Fredrickson

- posted August 08, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Daniel J. Fredrickson   Email Daniel J. Fredrickson         Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre, Harkins Superstition Springs has 25 auditoriums, and of those, 15 of them only have 80 seats. 2 have 120 seats, and 6 range from 160-300 seats. The 2 other are largest and have 460 seats.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Rivest

- posted August 23, 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinepolis in Europe has the real mosterplexes, the Antwerp 24 has 8368 seats and the world's biggest cinema complex, the Kinepolis Studio 24 in Madrid has an whopping 9,196 seats [Cool] (i belive that 3 of the auditoriums has over 1000 seats each.), this is the reason that AMC built these 24-30 plexes.

http://investors.kinepolis.com/index.cfm?PageID=15860

and they have the biggest 20-plex in the world (in Poland) not the planned one by Warren near OK city.

can anybody find me a cinema that has more than 9196 seats?
i guess not [bow down]

It may be tougher to program movies at
Cineplex Galaxy Colossus 18 (the movie spaceship on the left of the google image and AMC Interchange 30 (on the right) as they are about less then a mile apart (Canada's biggest and 2nd biggest cinemas)

Map

or
StarCite Ste Foy 18 (to be sold to Wallace?)(Bottom right of aerial) and the Cineplex Odeon Ste Foy 14 next door
Google aerial at Map

or
Edwards Palace 22 (has IMAX) and AMC Ontario Mills 30
aerial map here Map

[ August 24, 2005, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Chris Utley

- posted August 23, 2005 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal (Edwards) Ontario 22 and the AMC Ontario Mills 30 tend to run the same programming, believe it or not. There are rare occasions -mostly during the summer and Thanksgiving/Christmas- when the programming varies. But ususally it's the same flicks playing across all 52 screens.

Amanda Jones

- posted August 24, 2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Amanda Jones   Email Amanda Jones         Edit/Delete Post 
What benefit, if any, is there to opening a theater bigger than 16 screens?

A few years ago I was vacationing in Cananda and was reading the paper and was shocked to see that Ontario AMC had a movie on 7 screens. Though I don't remember the title of the movie I remember thinking to myself, that is crazy. I do remember that it was a crappy movie that most other theaters would open on one screen and would be lucky to draw 50 or so people a day. I figured it was so that they could have a movie running in every auditorium.

Heck I work for a 16 screen theater and sometimes I wonder why we open certain movies on more than one screen. Seriously did we really need 2 screens of Bad News Bears or 2 screens of Deuce Bigalow 2. But then we open some other movies on one screen when we needed another print. The opening weekend of Pacifier we sold out all of our shows and we only had it one screen with no capability to interlock it.

William Newman

- posted August 24, 2005 06:20 AM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Only theatre complex in State of Washington has 20 screens. AMC River Park Square 20.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted September 09, 2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda, if the "Ontario AMC" you're talking about is the Interchange 30, they're in the middle of a relatively high income area of impatient immigrants that will pay too see anything as long as it starts "right now".

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted January 07, 2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
In Southeastern Pennsylvania, the two biggest theatres are: AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatre , wher I work at, in Bensalem, and REG's Regal Marketplace 24 Theatre, in Oaks. The next biggest is REG's Regal Warrington Crossing Stadium 22 Theatre, in Warrington.

In South Jersey, the two biggest are: AMC Hamilton 24 Theatre, in Hamilton, and AMC (Loews Cineplex) Cherry Hill 24 Theatre, in Cherry Hill. (The Cherry Hill will be a AMC after the merger with Loews Cineplex is completed). [Smile]

John J. Fink

- posted January 08, 2006 08:27 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Muvico's new Medowlands Xandu in New Jersey claims that it may be the largest theater (in terms of seats) in the country, I'm excited about it - a movie theater with a Helipad for private VIP access, that's badass.

Daniel J. Fredrickson

- posted January 10, 2006 07:19 AM      Profile for Daniel J. Fredrickson   Email Daniel J. Fredrickson         Edit/Delete Post 
There is actually a fairly large theatre under construction at the moment in Denver. The Harkins Stapleton 18 Cine Capri theatre will have around 4,800 seats. It is being built with 18 auditoriums along with Harkins' Signature Cine Capri Auditorium with 600 seats, and a 70 foot screen. The Cine Capri is much like a very ritzy IMAX theater running regular features.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2004/05/17/daily53.html?jst=s_cn_hl

Fred Einsle

- posted March 22, 2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Fred Einsle   Email Fred Einsle         Edit/Delete Post 
How many Imax screens can you have in one market area, most combined with multi-plex theaters

*Chicago Navy Pier Imax- Single screen tourist site
*Chicago Museum of Science and Industry - Henry Crown Space Center OmniMax
*Cinemark Imax at Seven Bridges - Lisle, IL
*Lincolnshire Regal 20 and Imax
*Addison - Marcus with Imax
*Batavia - Goodrich Randall 16 - proposed Imax

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted March 27, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
There are only 2 IMAX Theatres in Philadelphia:
  • Tuttleman Omniverse Theatre
  • REG King of Prussia Stadium 16 and IMAX Theatre

Jonathan Smith

- posted May 11, 2006 11:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards has an 18 screen multiplex about 5 minutes from where I am,
while, in Mission Valley, AMC has a 20-plex, and near the end of San Diego, AMC has a 24-plex.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.