CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Largest multiplex? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Largest multiplex?
Tom Mundell

- posted July 21, 2005 06:36 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Blatant curiosity really.

In most of the larger plexes I've been to there is quite a difference between different auditoriums, often with the smaller ones mixed in the same wings as the larger ones. It would be aggrivating to have a small 50 seat auditorium with tiny screen and aweful sound left open while a larger screen/better sound system auditorium was closed. The largest I've been to is 25 screens though, so I'm not sure what the layout in these 30 screen theaters is like...

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted July 21, 2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how the large AMCs are layed out since I've only been in one once... when I fell down a non-visible (zero lighting) set of stairs in front of the projection port holes and broke a bone in my foot. I haven't been back since.

With an average seat count of 200 seats though, I'd imagine they don't have too many auditoriums with fewer than 150 seats. There probably isn't a huge difference in screen size between all but the largest ~6 auditoriums either.

George Gates

- posted July 22, 2005 06:39 AM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl has that right, as the problem with shoebox auditoriums only occurs with cinemas that were split. By the time they started building 25-30 screen megaplexes, they knew the public didn't like living room size theatres.

What's the smallest theatre on record? (hope I'm not going off topic here [Wink] ) Although maybe it would be food for further discussion on these fascinating "issues". [Roll Eyes]

Tom Mundell

- posted July 22, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with small auditoriums isn't necessarily that they're shoebox shaped (especially in stadium seating plexes) For example, the Loews 21 in Nyack NY has three screens with 50-90 seats. These auditoriums aren't very long (roughly square shaped), and due to the stadium seating there is an extremely sharp angle from the projector to screen making the image very keystoned. The 150-200 seat auditoriums are similar width but much longer (shoebox shaped) and the projection angle isn't so steep so the image is significantly better. And the larger auditoriums (200+ seats) are nice in that the screen isn't pushed off to the side by an exit door. Sound wise, the general rule there seems to be the smaller the auditorium, the worse it sounds; they just used cheap or inadequate equipment in the smaller theaters. So really there is quite a bit of variation depending on auditorium, and Loews has apparently followed this pattern in a lot of their larger theaters I've been to (usually around 20 screens). So yeah, only 3 out of 21 are those ultra small crappy theaters, but I'd still be annoyed if one of those was left open and one of the slightly better ones closed. I don't know how AMC designs their smallest screens so it might not matter there.

Smallest theater? smallest I've seen is the 50 seat theater at the above mentioned Loews and the two small theaters at Regal Cinema 10 in Concord NH (probably also around 50 seats w/o stadium seating).

Ron Newman

- posted July 22, 2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Smallest cinema? I'd guess the 49-seat single-screen Central Cinema in Alameda, California.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 22, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Burbank Media Center 8 has a 53 Seat Theatre (#5) that is horrible.

Not all 30-plexes are teh same. The Block is by far more different than those in Ontario and Covina.

AMC's 30 Plexes in Ontario and Covina are almost the same (Ontario's wing, however was brought in more to accomadate the mall) . An H-shape that has a lot of the small theaters in two of the H wings. Here is a kinda layout of it (its freehand, so obvously its not to scale but generally a good layout - and yes i forgot the box offices).

Here is a pic:
 -
If you cant read the numbers, the size of the rooms are:
1 - 4, 27-30: 75
5, 10-12, 19-21, 26: 90
13,18: 103
6,25: 132
9,22: 178
6-7, 23-24: 289
14,17: 379
15-16: 489

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted July 22, 2005 09:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a separate thread for smallest cinema.

Lauren Grubb

- posted July 22, 2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Lauren Grubb   Author's Homepage   Email Lauren Grubb         Edit/Delete Post 
They're apparantly building a new 20-plex in Moore, OK. The sign proclaims it to be the "World's Largest Luxery 20-Plex" or something like that.

Here's an article from news-star.com:
quote:
Luxury movie theater planned for Moore

MOORE, Okla. (AP) -- A Kansas company plans to build a $30 million luxury movie theater in Moore and hire about 200 people, officials said.
Wichita, Kan.-based Warren Theatres plans to break ground in five months on the theater, which will seat 7,000 people and have 20 screens. The theater will allow only adults into a balcony area with love seats and cocktails and also feature a sit-down family restaurant in the lobby, Warren chief executive officer Bill Warren said Friday.

The 150,000-square-foot complex is planned for a 25-acre tract on the west side of Interstate 35, just south of the Moore Medical Center that is scheduled to open this summer. Theaters will range in capacity from 175 to 700 people.

Moore plans to spend $1.5 million to build a drainage channel through 60 acres of undeveloped land, including the movie theater site. The city expects the cost of the channel to be repaid through sales tax revenue in "a very, very short amount of time," said Deidre Ebrey, economic development director.

Developer Ron Wilhite of Norman said another 10 to 15 acres of the land is under contract for another use, which is not being disclosed.

Mark Hajducki

- posted July 23, 2005 05:11 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AMC's 30 Plexes in Ontario and Covina are almost the same (Ontario's wing, however was brought in more to accomadate the mall) . An H-shape that has a lot of the small theaters in two of the H wings. Here is a kinda layout of it (its freehand, so obvously its not to scale but generally a good layout - and yes i forgot the box offices).
Assuming that customers enter from the bottom center of H, full operation would require 3 sets of ticket checkers and consessions staff so closing off one of the side wings would result in lower costs at quiet times.

If the cinema is within a mall, what shape is the rest of the mall? (I would have expected a V shape so as to reduce the frontage occupied and to force customers to pass other units on their way)

Tom Mundell

- posted July 23, 2005 05:39 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the diagram, Jeff. The layout looks rather similar to what AMC does with some of their 24-plexes. Mark, at the 24-plexes I've been to (and even at the Empire 25 in NY) they only had one ticket taker when you first entered the theater, even at busy times. When it's slow they seem to close the two extra concession stands anyway; I've only seen those open when it's very busy.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 23, 2005 07:20 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Covina 30 was never a really busy 30-plex when it opened. For the first year, it was suffering with sub-par attendance. We opened with 200 staff, then let it go down to 80.

One person was ticket taker.

Weekdays, we would usually have:
1 box office
1 guest services
1 Projectionist
2-3 concessionists
2 ushers

but with only 800 attendance on a weekday, it was not hard for ushers to clean empty theatres.

Today, Im happy to say, the theatre is doing very well.

Satellite Concession stands, btw, were only open during the busiest times (Friday after 6pm, Saturday after 4pm, Sunday before 6pm). Usually the person doing house assignments would try to get all the busier movies in one wing, so we would only open one of the satellites. Summertime always had two open.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted July 23, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC 30 in Ontario is also very good with its disabled patrons,as well.

They provide an elevator so the disabled seating is in the very back at the top of the theatre.

AFAIK,It isn't for all the screens,unfortunately,just for screens 16 through 19.

The Cinemastar Empire 20 in San Bernardino has a similar set up there.

Anyone know of another theatre that provides this kind of service?

John Dodge

- posted July 23, 2005 10:30 PM      Profile for John Dodge   Email John Dodge         Edit/Delete Post 
MANY OF YOU WILL ARGUE ABOUT NUMBER BUT I HAVE A STORY. MANAGEMENT ALWAYS WANTS THE ADVANTAGE. I WORKED THE BEVERLY CENTER WHEN IT WAS NEW. YES, IT WAS FRIGHTENING. IT WAS A 13 PLEX. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS BUT A PROJECTIONIST WHAT IT IS TO GET A PLATTER BACK ON THE SCREEN WHEN FILM BREAKS. IT IS NOT LIKE A REEL. IT IS GOD-AWFUL AND STRESSFUL WITH A FULL HOUSE OF PATRONS ON A WEEKEND NITE. ALSO, WHEN A ZENON BULB BLOWS IT STOPS THAT PLATTER PRESENTATION COMPLETELY. PLATTERS EVENTUALLY LED TO THE END OF UNION OPERATORS NATIONALLY. ONE MAN RUNNING 6 TO 8 PLATTERS AT A TIME WAS HARD AS HELL. AND NO ONE KNOWS OR EVEN UNDERSTANDS WHAT IT IS LIKE TO TEARDOWN 6 OR 8 FILMS TO 2000 FOOT REELS AND THEN BUILDUP 6 OR 8 MORE FILMS TO PLATTERS. IT TAKES ALL NIGHT LONG. DON'T WORRY SO DAMN MUCH ABOUT WHO HAS THE BIGGEST MULTI-PLEX. WORRY ABOUT THE OPERATOR WHO HAS TO CONTROL THESE KILLERS. LUCKILY, I LEFT PROJECTION AFTER A SHORT TERM AT THE BEVERLY CENTER. 8 SCREENS WERE ON 1 LEVEL AND THE SECOND OPERATOR HAD TO WALK 40 YARDS AWAY AND UPSTAIRS TO THE OTHER FIVE. UP UNTIL THE BEVERLY CENTER FIASCO I HAD BEEN FORCED TO WORK TRIPLEXES, QUADS AND A SIX PLEX. I SAID TO RALPH KEMP THE BUSINESS AGENT WHEN WILL THIS STOP? WELL, OBVIOUSLY IT DIDN'T BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE WANT TO GET EXCITED ABOUT A 30 PLEX. HOW ABOUT A 40 OR 50 PLEX. THEN ALL THE OPERATORS CAN CARRY DEATH-BENEFIT INSURANCE. LOOK BEHIND THE SURFACE?? JOHN D. RETIRED MEMBER(25 YEARS) LOCAL 150-IATSE

Roger Katz

- posted July 24, 2005 05:57 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't type in all capitals. [Mad]

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted July 25, 2005 10:24 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the seating for the AMC Theatre that I work at, the AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatre:

• House 1 & 24: 617
  • House 2 & 23: 433
  • House 3-5 & 20-22: 79
  • House 6 & 19: 106
  • House 7 & 18: 188
  • House 8-11 & 14-17: 157
  • House 12 & 13: 207
When you walk in Neshaminy, who have House 1 & 2 on the left, and House 23 & 24 on the right, all 4 are in the front, with 2 Metro concession stands. One of these stands is always open, we switch each day between the Blue Metro stand (between #1 & #2) and the Purple Metro stand (between #23 & #24). The first hallways off the main hallway, after #2 & 23, you have House 3 to 6 on the left, and 19 to 22 on the right. Down the main hallway will lead you to the Uptown concession stand (which we open only of Friday, Saturday & Sunday), on your left is House 7 to 12, and on your right is house 13 to 18. The exit doors are as follows:
Left side: next to House #3, and between House #10 & 11
Right side: next to House #22, and between House # 15 & 16
Main exit goes right into Neshaminy Mall.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.