CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » #1268: Ottumwa, Iowa - Capri V Closed, New Ottumwa 8 Theater

Author Topic: #1268: Ottumwa, Iowa - Capri V Closed, New Ottumwa 8 Theater
Brian McMillin

- posted July 06, 2005 11:02 PM      Profile for Brian McMillin   Author's Homepage   Email Brian McMillin         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings:

I've really enjoyed browsing the Cinema Tour site today and wanted to provide an update to listing #1268 for the Ottumwa, Iowa "Capri V" theater.

The theater is now closed; however, the closing of the former downtown theater coincided with the opening of a larger theater featuring stadium seating in the town's retail district. It's simply called the "Ottumwa 8 Theater." Both owned by CEC, the new theater began operations on December 17, 2004. An article from the Ottumwa Courier is linked here.

Although I am living in Des Moines for the summer, I will try to get pictures of the theater when I'm next in town for the website.

An article from the Ottumwa Courier also talks about the future of the theater: it was purchased by a local investor and will not be turned into a theater. Currently, I am unaware of any activity at the former theater site.

Two additional notes: I believe I read the design of the theater was identical to a similar theater opened by CEC in Clinton, Iowa, called the "Clinton 8 Theater." Finally, there is an article in the Iowa City Press-Citizen about the expansion of "Cinema 6" in Iowa City.

|  IP: Logged

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 07, 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The one and only movie I ever saw at the Capri V was "My Own Private Idaho". It was a Saturday night in a half-filled auditorium.

It became clear quickly that those who bought tickets did so based on star power (Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix), with no knowledge of the plot.

My girlfriend and I were sitting in the back near the aisle. Steadily throughout the show, people got up and walked out with stunned looks on their faces.

I can't even begin to describe how entertaining that was.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.