HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Cinemark 14 -- Grand Rapids, MI

Author Topic: Cinemark 14 -- Grand Rapids, MI
David Smitherman

- posted July 01, 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for David Smitherman   Email David Smitherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems Cinemark is opening a 14-screener in Grand Rapids at the new Woodland Mall. 50,000 sq feet and 2,500 seats. It seems as though the area is being "flooded" with screens. Jack Loeks' chain is also building a 16-plex (65,00 sq feet, 2,600 seats). They are both slated to open in November. I live nowhere near MI but am concerned that these theatres might not do very much business just based on the fact there are so many. Anybody near this area with any input?
 -

|  IP: Logged

Chuck Cook

- posted July 01, 2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
As a matter of fact, I live just down the road from the new Cinemark. The Woodland itself is an old mall, built in 1968. They used to have a UA, The Movies at Woodland, but it closed a few years back.

This particular area of town has no theatre since the Showcase Cascade closed and was torn down to make way for a Costco in 2003.

David Smitherman

- posted July 02, 2005 01:13 PM      Profile for David Smitherman   Email David Smitherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input... Yeah as far as I know now, this theatre will dominate the Southeast(i think its Southeast GR) area and Kentwood. Who knows maybe it'll do well.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 04, 2005 08:37 AM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to know if it actually opens with a red Hummer on display in front of it like in the painting.

What...Did the guy who drew that just wake up and say "I feel like drawing a Hummer today"?

David Smitherman

- posted July 04, 2005 05:17 PM      Profile for David Smitherman   Email David Smitherman         Edit/Delete Post 
lol...yea i was wondering the same thing...it turns out the shopping center is doing a promotion with Hummer, and there will be a Hummer display there.

Kevin Dupruy

- posted July 17, 2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Dupruy   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A similar thing is happening here in Baton Rouge. For an area of about a quarter of a million people, there are around 55 screens currently in operation, after the 2 expected theaters are constructed, there will be 86 first run! A new 16 screen Cinemark is going in to the Perkins Rowe "Urban Lifestyle Center" on Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Blvd., and a new Rave 15 screen next to the Mall of Louisiana on Bluebonnet, less than a mile away from the Cinemark, and both theaters are less than 3 miles away from 10 screen Tinseltown and UA Siegen on Seigen Ln.. About ten miles away from there is a 16 screen Rave and 8 scren Grand Cinema on O'Neal Ln., about 7 miles from there is a 11 screen UA Citiplace on College Dr. Got All That? Niether do I.

Chuck Cook

- posted July 17, 2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
Woodland has a promotion with a local luxury car dealer to pimp their cars. It explains why with you're inside the mall, you'll see a Lexus or even a Hummer.

I went to the site today, and it appears that the cinema won't even connect with the mall (but I might be wrong). It is taking shape, and damn is it nice. They'll also be two restuarants outside the building as well, including an On the Border Mexican place.

I want to get pics, but the mall has a "no pictures" policy. I was even caught with my camera once there.

David Smitherman

- posted July 18, 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for David Smitherman   Email David Smitherman         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad we can't get pics! ohhh well, how far along is the construction anyways? The last picture I saw it was just framework.

Chuck Cook

- posted July 19, 2005 12:16 AM      Profile for Chuck Cook   Email Chuck Cook         Edit/Delete Post 
The outside of the cinema's almost completed. Now, they need to build the restaurants and the interior of the theatre as well, plus give mallgoers the parking space they're lacking due to construction.

(Sorry I didn't complete my earlier thought; 10-hour night at work...)

[ July 19, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Cook ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.