HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Discount Movies for Irvine

Author Topic: Discount Movies for Irvine
Ron Pierce

- posted June 25, 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Starplex Cinemas took over the Woodbridge 5 in Irvine, California on June 24. Their policy is to show films that have just dropped out of first run in Orange County (Kicking and Screaming, the Interpreter and Sahara) and charge $2 and $3.
The Woodbridge 5 was built by Mann in 1980 as Irvine's first theatre but was taken over by Edwards even before it opened. Most recently is was operated by Captain Blood.
This theatre is not in a deteriorating strip mall. It is in a family-oriented upscale neighborhood center near a lake. The surrounding homes are very expensive.
Regal/Edwards have five locations in Irvine plus one in Tustin. The closest to the Woodbridge 5 is a little over a mile away in Westpark.
Is this the start of a trend back to discount houses? Is it to soon for Regal to start worrying? Stay tuned.
http://www.starplexcinemas.com

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 25, 2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Regal is shaking in their boots yet...after all, this isn't a new theatre, it's an old theatre under new management.

If someone really wants to get Regal nervous, they should build a big 14 plex in the vicinity of Irvine Spectrum to capitalize on Spectrum's big weakness: 5 big auditoriums, 17 crappy shoeboxes.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 26, 2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I just noticed that most of these theatres were under Interstate Theatres at one point (La Mirada 7, Movies 6 Bakersfield, etc)

I wonder did the company change their name or did someone buy them out?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 26, 2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
Interstate and Starplex are both sister companies owned by Cinemark. For some strange reason, all of the Interstate theaters are listed on the Starplex website and when you click one, it takes you to the Interstate site. [Shrug]

Ron Pierce

- posted June 26, 2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it in the news yet, but Vestar development has an AMC theatre on the site map for their District at Tustin Legacy. At one time I heard there were going to be 16 screens there.
This is about 8.3 miles from the Irvine Spectrum. At 1,200,000 square feet it will be about 100,000 square feet more than the Vestar's Long Beach Towne Center.
http://www.vestar.com/newsite/PropDev.html

Chris Utley

- posted June 27, 2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
So AMC won, huh? BO-RING...

Nevertheless, this will probably signal the end of that Regal/Edwards 6 screener on the Tustin side of the Marketplace. The stadiums across the street on the Irvine side should survive.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 27, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Wanted to go into south OC, I guess this will be their only footstep into it. This theatre should be nicer than the dull bland Regal 22 in Foothill Ranch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.