CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » 5th Ave. Inglewood, CA.

Author Topic: 5th Ave. Inglewood, CA.
Ron Pierce

- posted June 21, 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but just for the record, the photo listed under the Fifth Avenue Theatre in Inglewood, California (record# 16201) is not the Fith Avenue. The photo is of the former New Boulevard Theatre (aka Huggy Boy) in East Los Angeles (record# 16071).
About the Fifth Avenue, there are plans to build senior citizen aapartments on the site. Check out the church web site (http://ccfc-s.org/)
2003 photo of 5th Avenue:  -

|  IP: Logged

Gordon Bachlund

- posted June 23, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Email Gordon Bachlund         Edit/Delete Post 
The photo included with Mr. Pierce's post is indeed the 5th Avenue Theatre on Manchester Blvd. at 5th Avenue in Inglewood. As I recall it was a Fox house like the nearby newer Academy Theatre. I lived in the neighborhood in the early 1950s and attended both.

Good catch, Mr. Pierce. [Smile]

John Dodge

- posted July 24, 2005 08:07 PM      Profile for John Dodge   Email John Dodge         Edit/Delete Post 
IT IS HARD TO RECOGNIZE OLD THEATRES AFTER BEING TORN DOWN. HAVING BEEN A FILM PROJECTIONIST 25 YEARS I WOULD LIKE TO NOTE A FACT ABOUT THE FOX FIFTH AVENUE. THIS WAS THE THEATRE WHERE JIM GRAHAM WORKED ABOUT 25 YEARS. JIM WAS THE SOLE INVENTOR OF THE CUE METER. THIS CIRCULAR DEVICE THE SIZE OF A LARGE ALARM CLOCK HAD 2 NEEDLES ALMOST LIKE CLOCK HANDS. YOU SET THEM BASED ON THE FOOTAGE OF EACH REEL AND AN ALARM WOULD GO OFF 1 MINUTE BEFORE THE CHANGEOVER AND THEN JUST BEFORE THE 12 FOOT CUE MARKS ALLOWING THE OPERATOR TO NEVER MISS A CHANGEOVER IN CASE HE WAS DOING SOMETHING AND TIME CREPT BY. I HAVE 2 GOOD PICS OF THE 5TH AVENUE IN MY ONLINE THEATRE COLLECTION FOR L.A. THEATRES. JOHN D. LOCAL 150-IATSE-RETIRED.

Ron Newman

- posted July 25, 2005 04:05 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
please get a new keyboard that has small letters on it.

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted July 25, 2005 08:40 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
John Dodge: It isn't as though Ron is jumping on you for nothing nor does anyone want to hurt your feelings, but you should know that using only CAPITALS (upper case) to write messages is called "SHOUTING" in the parlance of those who use the Net, and is annoying to readers. You will notice a light on your keyboard labeled 'Caps Lock' or sometimes only 'A' to signify that the Caps Lock key had been depressed to turn on only caps (capital letters). If you press your Caps Lock key again, it will turn off this light and the all caps that your text appears in, from then on. It is just a matter of courtesy to your readers. We do enjoy your posts, so do keep them from shouting, please.

By the way, if your caps lock key keeps on getting hit accidentally, as it does for me, then on many computers you can cause it sound a special beep when it turns on, and another type of beep when it turns off. This is handled by one of your settings called something like Sounds or the like. Simply check the box that permits such a sound, and it will all be easier for you from then on.

George Gates

- posted July 25, 2005 12:46 PM      Profile for George Gates           Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back on topic before someone [Wink] removes the post, the "photo" shown looks more like a realist style water color than it does a photo. What book did you get that from?

Bill Gabel

- posted July 25, 2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Fifth Ave Theatre sits on the north side of the street on one of those picture (no pun) days during the afternoon in Southern California. I've taken many shots of local theatres that have came out that nice.

Ken Roe

- posted July 25, 2005 05:11 PM      Profile for Ken Roe   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Roe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys and gals, the pics on the 5th Avenue Theatre listing come from my collection, so I must have sent them to Adam incorrectly labled. Please accept my apologies.

They need to be changed Adam>>>if you could please re-locate them to the Boulevard Theatre, East Los Angeles. I will send you correct pics of the 5th Avenue Theatre, Inglewood. Thanks

David Wodeyla

- posted July 25, 2005 05:42 PM      Profile for David Wodeyla   Author's Homepage   Email David Wodeyla         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, that's a beautiful photo. Do you have others to share?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.