CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Beaumont, Texas closed-down theatres

Author Topic: Beaumont, Texas closed-down theatres
Chet Cuccia

- posted May 20, 2005 10:49 AM      Profile for Chet Cuccia   Email Chet Cuccia         Edit/Delete Post 
You have mispelled the Gaylynn Theatre in Beaumont, Texas. On the tour, you have it spelled "Gaylyum" (#13585).

Yes, I have many fond memories of the Gaylynn Theatre. The last time that I went to it was back in 1981.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted May 23, 2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Beaumont for business about six months ago, and killed some time driving around looking for now-abandoned theaters.

Was the Gaylynn on the site of what is now a hospital? I think I remember the other now-closed theaters I was looking for are still standing, though they've been adapted for other uses now (except for one, which was sitting empty and run down).

Jack Doyle

- posted June 19, 2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Jack Doyle   Email Jack Doyle         Edit/Delete Post 
during my stint as City Manager for Martin Theatres (now Carmike Cinemas) in Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange in the eighties, I shared office space with the District Manager in rooms off the balcony of the Gaylynn Theatre,which were originally designed as a toddlers playroom so mothers could enjoy a matinee without interupting other patrons. By then the balcony had been converted into a 240 seat theatre, making the Gaylynn a twin. I assume the "run down abandoned theatre" mentioned by Mark Richey in his reply was the Lamar Theatre which was donated to Lamar University during this period.

Mark Richey

- posted July 04, 2005 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I didn't find the Lamar, though I vaguely remember seeing an article in the Beaumont Enterprise archives about how run down and neglected it was. I don't remember when the article was written, but I think it was sometime in the last ten years. The abandoned and empty theater I saw was an old UA six-plex-the Phelan 6, I believe. They had the parking lot blocked off from the street, so I didn't get to go by to take a look, but from what I saw, it was definitely left to rot.

I've actually been transferred to Beaumont, and will be living there in about a month, so I'll hopefully be able to find the Lamar, and see if it's still standing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.