HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Storey Theatres

Author Topic: Storey Theatres
Jack Coursey

- posted April 23, 2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any information regarding the Storey Theater chain, like what became of them and what theatres they owned or managed? I think they were based out of Atlanta, GA and also owned a couple of television stations such as WAGA.

|  IP: Logged

Raymond Stewart

- posted June 01, 2005 11:08 AM      Profile for Raymond Stewart   Email Raymond Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Storey was owned by Fred Storey, a big Georgia Tech booster. As I understood, his kids were not interested in taking it over so he sold out to Regal in 1996. At the time Storey was as big as anyone in the Atlanta area as number of screens go. UA, Cineplex Odeon & AMC had about as many screens and Regal was a more minor player in the market up until they bought out Storey. I don’t know if he got cash or stock, but I hope he got more cash than stock or was able to sell out before Regal went bankrupt!

Storey had locations around Metro Atlanta and I believe in Augusta, North Georgia and parts of western Alabama and southern Tennessee. They would give a try to locations that others closed with some success. They ran the old Wies/AMC Franklin Plaza 3 for a couple of years after AMC closed it and seemed to do pretty well. I think they also ran the Arrowhead Triple for a time. I know they took over Toco Hills for a few years after Eastern Federal closed it.

Regal shuttered many of the locations (Shannon Mall, Old National, 12 Oaks to name a few) pretty quickly. They closed the North 85 Drive-In to build the Hollywood 24.

I had the pleasure of meeting him when Storey did a grand re-opening of the 12 Oaks after they took it over, post Loews. He was a nice guy who ran a nice company. The "office" was on Morosogo Way, just across from MARTA's Lindberg Station in a very non-descript building that still stands, unmarked.

I believe Storey is stil alive and living in the Atlanta area.

As for WAGA/channel 5, that was Storer Communications, a whole different company. They were bought up/out by Gannett, who owns channel 11, WXIA and sold WAGA to FOX.

Hope this info helps!

Jack Coursey

- posted June 19, 2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it does! Thanks also for your responses at cinema treasures.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.