HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Grand Theatre, Elizabeth, PA

Author Topic: Grand Theatre, Elizabeth, PA
Margaret Fleischauer

- posted March 20, 2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Margaret Fleischauer   Email Margaret Fleischauer         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for old photos, memorabilia, memories, history, etc. of the Grand Theatre in Elizabeth, PA, about 10 miles south of Pittsburgh. The current owners are still in the renovation/restoration phase and would love to have some history about the theatre.

The front doors and art deco pattern around the doors are still intact. Would love to find out at least who the architect was, and get some photos of the original marquee.

-

|  IP: Logged

James William Kastner

- posted March 20, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for James William Kastner   Email James William Kastner         Edit/Delete Post 
Margaret,

I do not have any info on the theatre in Elizabeth, PA, but I just wanted to say "hello" to you. I live in Murrysville, PA, about 3 miles east of Monroeville. My interests are in the theatres that once graced Downtown Pittsburgh.

Sincerely,

Jim Kastner

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted March 21, 2005 06:24 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
The THEATRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA at www.HistoricTheatrs.org is the largest repository of information on theatres in the USA, so an inquiry to their Ex.Director, Richared Sklenar, may be your best bet.

Do not forget your local sources which may be the most fruitful for smaller communities; your Register of Deeds at the county seat is most likely to have records in any rural or semirural setting. From a search of these you may well learn the name of the architect. Likewise, ask city hall or the county governance who did building inspection when the theatre was built, and then try to trace down any archive that might contain those records. Oftentimes, rural or small communities will send their records to the state capitol, so an inquiry to your state Historic Preservation officer may well be in order.
A search of any old newspapers of the time the theatre was built will often contain articles near opening about the owners as well as mentioning the architect. If it was an out-of-town firm, they may still exist elsewhere and contacting the American Institue of Architects may reveal where their records and blueprints went. The nearest library may have such records for local architects, and while there, ask them what they might have in their local history collection, which is often not cataloged, so you must paw through boxes of items.
Best Wishes, Jim

Margaret Fleischauer

- posted March 21, 2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Margaret Fleischauer   Email Margaret Fleischauer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim, lots of good information there. I had already contacted the Theatrical Historical Society regarding information and waiting to hear back. Will get started right away with some of your suggestions.

David Wodeyla

- posted April 28, 2005 08:31 AM      Profile for David Wodeyla   Author's Homepage   Email David Wodeyla         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the theatre historical society have a complete library of Boxoffice Magazine? I also wonder if there's an index of every issue that can be used to search for particular topics.

William Hooper

- posted April 28, 2005 10:32 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Email William Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Check with your local library to get microfilms of Boxoffice on interlibrary loan.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.