HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » New California Theatre

Author Topic: New California Theatre
David E. Young

- posted March 10, 2005 08:02 PM      Profile for David E. Young   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Young         Edit/Delete Post 
Much of the info on this site theatres info page on this theatre at http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=13451 is missing or incorrect. Here are the corrections. I will be posting more on the missing history of this amazing theatre in this forum as well over the coming weeks.

First, the address 1122 4th St., San Diego, CA.

It was not closed in 1975. It was closed in 1991.

Its seating capacity was changed from 2200 to 1750 in 1964 during a lobby expansion.

The architect was John Paxton Perrine. He also designed several other cinemas and theatres for West Coast Cinemas and Fox Theatres, incouding co-designing the San Francisco Fox. He went on to design commercial buildings and ocean ports, and eventually the Oakland Airport runways, which are still in use today. He invented the California Earthquake Code in building, and all of his designs have survived every earthquake.

It used to have a very famous Werlitzer Organ, but the organ was tragicly destroyed in a fire in 1996 at a church where it was being stored.

That deals with the missing/incorrect info here. I will post more about its amazing history later.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 10, 2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
While it's perfectly ok to post, if you would like the info changed in the tour, you should also e-mail any information to newsroom@cinematour.com to make sure. It may take some time for your information to be posted there, but it will get done eventually.

The best way to format the e-mail would be
SUBJECT: #13451 - California Theatre - San Diego, CA
And then include all the information you have for this one theatre.

If you have multiple theatres you'd like to submit changes/info on, just make the subject line INFO UPDATE and then make sure you list the theatre number and info within the body of the e-mail.

Keep in mind that for the most part this website is run by one person, and he has a lot of outside obligations that prevent him from focussing on Cinematour 24/7.

If you find any other information that is out of date or incorrect, please send it politely to the newsroom.

David E. Young

- posted March 10, 2005 09:39 PM      Profile for David E. Young   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Young         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I spent more than an hour trying to find a way to e-mail or contact a moderator before posting this, and found nothing on any way to communicate with those who run this site apart from the forums.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 10, 2005 11:45 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- Adam thought it would be best to remove all the e-mail links for awhile since he was so backed up with the updates.

As long as you submit the updates to him and have patience, they will be posted eventually.

David E. Young

- posted March 11, 2005 12:36 AM      Profile for David E. Young   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Young         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Scott. I just sent the e-mail.

Keep an eye on this theatre. I am working right now on setting events in motion that would have it restored and re-opened in mid 2007.

Here is a copy of the original architectural drawing from 1925:
 -
Today, the building looks almost exactly as it was drawn. This drawing posted by permission from the San Diego Historical Society.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.