HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Missing Theatres on Cinematour

Author Topic: Missing Theatres on Cinematour
John H. Colvin

- posted February 12, 2005 06:56 AM      Profile for John H. Colvin   Email John H. Colvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently become a member and have noticed that there are a few theatres missing from the site. I have been managing theatres for over 30 years so I have been around a few. I thought I would post them here for future updates to the site.

Theatres missing in action.

The Seminary South Cinemas Ft Worth Texas located in the parking lot of the Seminary South Shopping Center. Run by General Cinemas it was a 3 screener with large auditoriums, closed sometime in the 1980's when the Shopping Center remodel became what is now Town Center and GCC built a 8 screen theatre inside the mall. The 3 screen building was a Bingo hall for a while and the building still stands vacant.

The Six Flags Mall Cinema 5 in Arlington Texas. This theatre also in the parking lot of the mall, started out as a 2 screener and became a 5 screen 2 building theatre in the 70's. It was unusual in that GCC built the additional 3 screens behind the two screen complex, this one also closed in the late 80's. Cinemark has an operating theatre now inside the mall. Again last time I looked the vacant theatre still stands.

The Opera House Cinema Ft Worth Texas. This was a built in the 60's by General Cinema was located off university in what I believe was called the 1810 Village, A small Shopping center. The Opera House was the Flagship theatre for GCC it was a large single screen theatre that showed exculsive performances most notably it was the only place in Ft Worth the view the original Star Wars. This also closed in the 80's and has been torn down.

The Southbrook Mall 7 theatre in Memphis Tn. Originally a 4 screen theatre run by United Artists in the 50's thru the late 80's, 3 additional screens were built in the late 70's at the far end of the mall (this was a very small mall). They built a boxoffice in the middle of the mall to service both the theatres. The Regal Chain bought it in the early 90's. Sorry this is all I know about it I left the area in 1988.
One Historical fact about this theatre is a certain patron who lived down the street would call the manager to open up late and run a movie for him and his friends, Elvis fans would show up at the front doors just to look at the theatre when I was there in the 80's.

If anyone else remember any of these theatres let me know and maybe I wont feel so old and Nostalgic.

John H. Colvin
Currently GM at the Regal/UA Fossil Creek theatre Ft Worth Texas

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 12, 2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are a ton of missing theatres that we know.

York theatre in Eagle Rock, CA.

And I still need to email adam to update some around here.

Jim Ziegler

- posted February 12, 2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Ziegler         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jayhawk Theatre in Topeka, KS is being slowly restored. There are some pics up at http://www.jayhawktheatre.com

Brad Miller

- posted February 13, 2005 02:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John! Haven't heard from you in forever.

I didn't know about the Seminary South 3 plex. I'll have to swing by the next time I'm over there and get pictures of the building. Can you give me some clues as to what it looks like now, or it's more precise location? Adam just loooooooooooooooves pictures of old ex-theater buildings! [Cool]

Lorene Grimes

- posted February 13, 2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Lorene Grimes   Email Lorene Grimes         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are a few in London Kentucky that are no listed. The Fearless Flick was originally called The Jerry Lewis Theatre and rumor has it that it had to change the name because it was named after Jerry Lewis without his approval. The London Drive-In was originally called The Reda Drive-In, because there was a Reda walk-in that was downtown and had closed. Also, in Lily there was the Ronnie Drive-In, which is in the same county. I have another walk-in that was the first London theatre but I'll have to look up that name. If these get posted, I can get a photo of the Ronnie the way it looks now, which is not good. I can also maybe the Reda walk-in and the other theatre downtown.

Mark Escorcia

- posted March 09, 2005 12:39 AM      Profile for Mark Escorcia   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Escorcia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked out the New York listings,and have noticed some errors and omissions...I'll try to list them as short as possible.
7631 Village Cinema 7
145 N Franklin St (Hempstead)
(516) 481-5200 theatre closed

7641 Dix Hills Theatre
31 Wagon Wheel Ln (Dix Hills/Huntington Station)It’s a residence of a independent theatre owner

7647 Islip Triplex
410 W Main St. (Islip) Theatre is open,not closed

7661 Cineplex Odeon Theatres
Smith Haven Mall Theatre
15 Smith Haven Mall(Lake Grove)
(516) 724-9550 theatre is closed

7668 Levittown Theater
3080 Hempstead Tpke (Levittown)
(516) 731-0516 theatre is closed

Studio 78 (1978-1986)
Carman Rd (Massapequa Park)needs to be added/ theatre is closed

United Artists Pequa(not listed)
Sunrise Hwy Massapequa -theatre is closed

Jerry Lewis Twin (on old drive in property) Sunrise Hwy.Massapequa Park theatre is closed

7692 Sunrise Mall Theatres
319 Sunrise Mall (list as Massapequa Park),theatre closed in 2000

7696 National Amusements
Brookhaven Multiplex Cinemas
440 Long Island Expy
(631) 289-8900 theatre closed in 2003

Merrick Movies(not listed)(and not the old twin,this is a quad.)
Sunrise Hwy(Merrick)

7864[1956-1999]United Artists Syosset Theater
Jericho Tpke
AKA: Syosset Cinerama ,D-150 Theatre closed around 1999,last movie played there was "Miss Congeniality"

Uniondale Cinema
Jerusalem Ave,Uniondale,theatre is closed

West Babylon
RKO Twin
Montauk Hwy (West Babylon)
Theatre is closed

I grew up with most of these theatres...a couple are new.

Hope this helps...I also have a few photos of the UA Meadowbrook in East Meadow.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.