CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Remaining General Cinemas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Remaining General Cinemas
Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 31, 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say that we've had this thread somewhere else, but I can't seem to find it... so here it goes again.

I'm wondering what General Cinema buildings still remain in your area and whether or not they're vacant or being operated by somebody else. I also don't know what would be the best way of listing them in the forums, but I'm definitely interested in knowing since a search for General Cinema only provides you with stuff that no other company has picked up.

So if people could chime in with what they know about, I'd love it. And if you could also make mention of what kind of building it is, whether a "60's" CINEMA I-II-II sort of design, "80's" with the wood panelling / 3 panel marquees or "90's" with the art-decoish fronts and Popcorn Bob logos.

My primary reason for asking, is that I'd like to know where I can go to see various GCC's that are still intact, whether they're open or closed.

Also -- does anybody have a list of the 66 GCC's that were sold to AMC?

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted January 31, 2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we ever had General Cinemas here in Connecticut.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 31, 2005 05:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Los Angeles Area still standing:

Open:
AMC Galleria 16
AMC Avco 4
Laemelle Fallbrook 7 (7plex expanded to 10, reduced back to 7, the 3 screen addition are now shops)
Redondo Cinema 3 (Independent dollar house)
Pacific Sherman Oaks 5 (move over house for Galleria 16 now, sometimes opens films)

Closed (last chain to run it):
AMC Beverly Connection 6 (looks like its now gutted)
AMC Hollywood Galaxy 6 (gutted, gym soon)
AMC Sherman Oaks 2
Glendale 5 (gutted recently)
GCC Rancho (still standing empty)

Tom Mundell

- posted January 31, 2005 06:46 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe all of the AMC theatres in MA were General Cinema's and AMC hasn't actually built any theatres here (lucky!). For sure I know these:

Fenway 13: a new stadium theatre
Braintree 10: an 80's style with wood panelling
Burlington 10: an 80's style with wood panelling
Chestnut Hill 5: an older Cinema I-II style split into 5 screens
Framingham 16: an early 90's style, the 5 large auditoriums have stadium seating
Tyngsboro 12: don't remember much about this one
Dartmouth Mall 12: don't remember much about this one

I don't think GCC ever had much in NH. All I remember is one Hoyts that is now demolished which had the Cinema I-II design so I suspect it may have been GC originally (but it's gone now anyway...).

David Wodeyla

- posted January 31, 2005 09:57 AM      Profile for David Wodeyla   Author's Homepage   Email David Wodeyla         Edit/Delete Post 
GCC had several in Connecticut; Naugatuck, Meriden, Milford, Newington, Waterbury. In NH, there was a Bedford Mall and Nashua Cinema. None were still GCC when AMC took over. Some leases ran out years ago, and were being run by others for years.

Dave Felthous

- posted January 31, 2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Seattle area the former GCC Everett Mall I-II-II is still operating, run by Regal. The nearby Everett Mall 4-10 has been demolished.

The Aurora Cinema I-II-III is vacant after a successful run as a "cinema grill" for several years. The theater did well but its parent company was faltering and needed to downsize.

No longer existing are the Overlake I-II-III in suburban Bellevue and the original Renton Village I-II-III which GCC demolished and replaced with an eightplex in the early 90s.

The Gateway Center 8 in Federal Way was built by GCC in the 90s and is now a Galaxy theater. When AMC bought GCC it closed Gateway and it was dark for a long time until Galaxy took it over.

Roger Katz

- posted January 31, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
David said
quote:

GCC had several in Connecticut; Naugatuck, Meriden, Milford, Newington, Waterbury.

Hmm. OK. Most of these cinemas closed while I was a kid. Naugatuck and Waterbury are the same thing (the Naugatuck Valley Mall was in Waterbury) and it is demolished. Meriden was at the mall. It is no longer a cinema, but I don't know if it was inside or outside the mall, so I don't know if the physical structure is still there. Milford was closed last fall by National Amusements and was just demolished earlier this month. Newington closed around 1997 and has been demolished. Therefore it seems all former GCC locations in Connecticut are demolished.

David Wodeyla

- posted January 31, 2005 07:31 PM      Profile for David Wodeyla   Author's Homepage   Email David Wodeyla         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Katz said
quote:
I don't think we ever had General Cinemas here in Connecticut.
Glad to have given you some information you may not have had. Those Connecticut General Cinemas were a part of the Division that also included Rhode Island, as well as the two New Hampshire locations. This goes way back to the dark ages for some of our younger readers, probably the 1960's and '70s. I believe Connecticut was a poor market, and thus, the theatres were sold.
How they fared afterwards, I had no idea.
For those who wonder if their home town ever had a movie theatre, a visit to the local library newspaper microfilm is a good research tool. Occasionally a comment to a web site helps to obtain some information new to the readers.

[Wink]

Kyle Muldrow

- posted January 31, 2005 07:47 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember any GCC theaters here in Orange County, CA, since I moved here (1991).

As for my old stomping grounds of St. Louis, the only GCC building still standing is the old 4 screener at Chesterfield Mall (Hwy 40 at Clarkson Road). That place has been closed for about 4 years now and it's not going to reopen anytime soon, since AMC is building a new 14-screener inside the mall. The old 4 screener was an outlot building. Kinda surprised it's still standing...

Here's a quick rundown of the former GCC houses in ol' St. Louie:

Chesterfield Mall 4 - see above
Grandview Twin (Grandview Center, Dunn Road) - closed and torn down
Northwest Plaza 4 (N. Lindbergh @ St. Charles Rock Road) - closed in 1990 when Wehrenberg opened Northwest 9
Jamestown Mall Twin (N. Lindbergh @ Old Jamestown Road) - closed when Wehrenberg built Jamestown 14
Northland Cinema (Northland Center, W. Florissant @ Lucas & Hunt) - closed and torn down
Sunset Hills 4 (S. Lindbergh @ Watson Road) - closed and torn down
South County Center Twin (S. Lindbergh @ Lemay Ferry Road) - closed and torn down when Lindbergh 8 opened
Lindbergh 8 (S. Lindbergh Blvd, near Lemay Ferry) - closed and torn down (funny how that works, huh?)
Mid Rivers Mall 6 (Mid Rivers Mall, St. Peters) - closed when Wehrenberg built Mid Rivers 14

OK, that's everything to the best of my memory. If I missed anything, feel free to correct...politely

[ February 02, 2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Kyle Muldrow ]

David Wodeyla

- posted February 01, 2005 08:58 AM      Profile for David Wodeyla   Author's Homepage   Email David Wodeyla         Edit/Delete Post 
GCC closed a lot of theatres in the final years, if there were only 66 sold to AMC.
Quite a descent from their heyday in the 1970's and '80s I'd say.
To Scott Neff, there were many Showcase Cinemas (also known as National Amusements, and sometimes referred to as Redstone Theatres) built in the 1960's and '70s that used the same architect, Riseman, as General Cinema. I don't know if any still exist that haven't renovated. If you're looking for that certain look, (tall lobby ceilings, windows the same, maybe some of those orange and blue light/ball chandeliers, Showcase might have a few.

Jack Coursey

- posted February 01, 2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few former GCC from each generation still around in the metro Atlanta area, but you had better move quick because some might be headed for the wreaking ball. The earlist venue,Akers Mill,was opened in the 70s and stands vacant with most of the GCC logos still intact. It is located on 2967 Cobb Parkway NW. It is located in the rear of the shopping center. The Parkside 8, at 5920 Roswell Road and the Merchants Walk Cinema at 1031 Johnson Ferry Road, were both built by GCC in the 1980s. The last GCC was built out around North Point Parkway in Alpharetta sometime in the 1990s. I think it is a Georgia Theatre property now.
While you're in Atlanta, get some shots of the interior of the Tara on Chesire Bridge, the Garden Hills on Peachtree, the Plaza on Ponce de Leon, and the Cobb on Cobb Parkway. Please let me know when you post 'em. They are all really neat.

Eric Hooper

- posted February 02, 2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there was a whole GCC Locations thread somewhere on here!

In the Bay Area

Fremont (Hub) (80's) - Demolished

Dublin (Place) (70's) - Demolished

San Mateo (Fashion Island) (70's) - Demolished

San Mateo (Hillsdale) (60's) - Now a furniture store

Hayward (Southland) (60's) - Still standing vacant since 1999.

Scott Norwood

- posted February 02, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews Fresh Pond cinema was originally a GCC location. I believe it was a twin (Cinema I-II) originally. Now it has been horribly hacked up.

Chestnut Hill was also the home office location--the corporate screening room (pics on Film-Tech) was in the office space adjacent to the theatre. That space is now a retail store.

Bill Gabel

- posted February 02, 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't remember any GCC theaters here in Orange County, CA, since I moved here (1991).
The theatres that GCC had in Orange County, CA, were theatres they picked-up when Loew's Theatres sold them their Southern California theatres in the early 70's. And before Loew's operated many of them they were operated by Statewide Theatres and Century Cinemas or Theatres. When GCC pulled out of Orange County they sold many of the houses to Edwards Theatres and a few of the singles became adult houses.

Here are just afew of the GCC Orange County Ca houses.
  • Anaheim 21 , Anaheim Ca.
    Buena Park , Buena Park Ca.
    Titan , Fullerton Ca.
    Stanton , Stanton Ca.
    Saddleback 1,2,3 ,
    Saddleback 4,5,6 ,
The Saddleback plexes went to Edwards and one or two other plexes that I have to add later.

Mark Richey

- posted February 02, 2005 10:37 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Brad could tell you far more about DFW General Cinemas than I could, but here goes anyway...

By the time of the AMC sell, GCC only had one theater left in Dallas, the Irving 14, which is still up and running.

Of the others I know about off the top of my head, the Collin Creek 6 (where I worked in high school) got converted to a church a couple years back, after having stood vacant for about 4 or 5 years. The Richardson 6 is now FunAsia, a combination arcade/restaurant/Bollywood cinema. The Furneaux Creek was a cinema grill for a couple of years, but that folded last year sometime (I knew they weren't long for the world when I seemed to be the only person in the theater one night a couple days before Christmas 2003...this was after school had let out). While NorthPark I & II has been demolished, III & IV are now part of the Art Institute of Dallas. I haven’t been inside lately, but the Galleria was recently remodeled, so I wouldn't be surprised if they overhauled the space of the Galleria 5 during that time. The Valley View 1 & 2 (which closed in the early 90s) is now a radio station.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.