CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC THEATRES (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC THEATRES
William Newman

- posted September 04, 2004 05:08 PM      Profile for William Newman   Email William Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Theatres are planning new 14-screen in Kent, WA. Complex name Kent Station 14.

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 04, 2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. AMC is on a building spree lately. They already are going to open two new theatres this year in California (Santa Anita 16 in Nov, Victoria Gardens in RC in December) and plans for more theatres in Riverside and other areas.

Santa Anita 16 - Los Angeles Area (Arcadia) - October 2004

Victoria Gardens Mall 12 - Los Angeles Area (Rancho Cucamonga) - December 2004

Tysons Corner 18 - Washington DC Area (McLean) - Summer 2005

Eastridge Mall 18 - San Jose Area - Summer 2005

Kent Station 14 - Seattle Area (Kent) - Fall 2005

Firewheel Town Center 18 - Dallas Area (Garland) - Fall 2005

Northlake Mall 14 - Charlotte Area - Fall 2005

Chesterfield 14 - St. Louis Area - Fall 2005

Century City 15 - Los Angeles Area - Fall 2005

Northpark Mall 18 - Dallas Area - Late 2006

Chris Utley

- posted September 05, 2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
CENTURY CITY 15????

I almost fell outta my chair! Are they gonna gut the original 14 and build a new 15 plex in it's place? Or are they gonna keep the original 15 and route the new stuff to the old 14? And...will the new 15 be THX-certified? The 5 large auditoriums at the current Century City 14 are all THX-certified.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 05, 2004 10:04 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Go to the Westfield Century City Picture Renderings. What I find odd is they have the old theatre in the renderings, wonder what they are going to convert it too.

They are building a new theatre in the back of the mall between Gelsons and Macys. Apparently they already tore down all the shops in that area. Its a whole new 15. The original 14 will stay open until then. From what i heard, this theatre took a hit really bad from The Grove and AMC wants it built fast. Framing is already in progress.

Chris Utley

- posted September 06, 2004 10:02 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how The Grove took a bite out of Century 14. The 9 regular auditoriums are 1980's era AMC boxes. 150 seats tops! Not a good thing for West LA. Everytime I went to the theatre, I tried to make sure I was in one of the 5 large auditoriums.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 06, 2004 03:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
God I hated Century's 9 small crap screens. Gotta love auditoriums with Centre Aisles!!!!

Plus, they got rid of their second concession stand years ago. They do good business still.

On the upside, AMC Closes 6 screens (Beverly Connection) and adds 28 (Santa Anita / Victoria Gardens).

I just hope they have no intention of getting rid of Avco. That would be a bad decesion as it still does great business, and is only one of six former GCC Houses still open in Los Angeles (the others being Laemelle 7 Fallbrook, Glendale 5 which is still open for business, Redondo 3, AMC Galleria 16 (which oddly enough with get hit when AMC Opens Del Amo 16 in 2005) and Pacific's Sherman Oaks 5 are the others)

Mark Richey

- posted September 06, 2004 10:38 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC has had a sign announcing arrival of the Firewheel theater up for at least three or four years now. I'll believe it's actually coming when I see the construction begin. The east Garland/Rowlett/Sachse area is fairly underscreened, with the nearest theaters being the Cinemark Hollywood USA and UA Galaxy (which is probably about 20 minutes or so away) and the UA Northstar 8, which I believe is the third longest-running theater in the Dallas area (behind the Highland Park Village and the Inwood). I remember my grandmother taking me to see Song of the South there in 1986. As for the NorthPark theater, it will almost certainly be the death knell for the AMC Glen Lakes and the UA Plaza, both located across Central Expressway from NorthPark. The Glen Lakes is still in good shape, but the Plaza is fairly run down, and is a victim of the intense buildup around it. It used to be visible from the highway. Now, it's lost in a sea of Best Buys and Office Maxes. It doesn't help that it's the only tenet left in it's building. Once upon a time, there were several restaurants and entertainment-related businesses on the ground floor. They've all long since gone under, making a trip to the Plaza a rather depressing experience.

Mike Olpin

- posted September 07, 2004 12:00 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting for them to put a wrekingball through century city 14 for a long time now.

I had what is positively the WORST movie going experience I've ever encountered there. I hope the carve it into a Wal-Mart or something. [Mad]

BTW, suposedly, AMC is in the planning phase of building a new megaplex in Santee, CA to replace the old multi that was demolished several years back.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 07, 2004 05:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Santee would be a great area for a new megaplex. El Cajon is the only place that has a decent theatre.

Mike, what ever happened to the old Santee 6? Whats it current use?

Mike Olpin

- posted September 07, 2004 10:14 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
It was demolished to make way for a PetSmart and some more retail spaces. AMC had intended to build a new one across the street in the new troley center, buy city council held it up for several years. According to the stories I've heared, Santee wanted to put a ridiculous tax on concessions, and AMC said, "Screw that." and built elsewhere (Palm Promanade).

Part of me is glad that the new megaplex will happen, but on the other hand, it will also probably be the last nail in the Santee drive-ins coffin.

Which El Cajon theatre are you referring to?
Parkway is closest to Santee and has a great staff, but if you're willing to drive to the other side of El Cajon, Edwards Rancho has great on screen presentation, and much nicer auditoriums. (Shamelss plug!)

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 07, 2004 05:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Arent there more theatres in El Cajon? I thought there was a Krikorian?

Mike Olpin

- posted September 08, 2004 01:42 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to inform you that the Krikorian is long gone. The space sat vacant for about five years, now it's a church.

In 1998:
Regal built an 18 screen theatre on top of (yes, literally on top of) Parkway Plaza.
Edwards built a 15 screen in Rancho San Diego.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 08, 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
YEa Mike, I went by Parkway Plaza last year and saw it. You can also see the theatre on top of the mall when on highway 67 and 8

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 30, 2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested, the new AMC Santa Anita 16 opens tomorrow officially in Arcadia, CA. I will see if I can take pictures this weekend. It is in a Mall, so it may be hard.

Opening weekend movies:
First Daughter
The Forgotten
Garden State
Ladder 49 (3 Screens)
Maria Full of Grace
The Motorcycle Diaries
Napoleon Dynamite
Shark Tale (3 Screens)
Shaun of the Dead
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Wimbledon

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 23, 2004 06:46 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC 12 @ Victoria Gardens opens tomorrow the 17 with the following films:
A Series Of Unfortunate Events(2 Screens)
Spanglish(2 Screens)
Oceans 12(2 Screens)
The Aviator
The Incredibles
Finding Neverland
Flight Of The Phoenix
National Treasure
Polar Express

[ December 16, 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Richard A Stegman Jr ]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.