CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Mayfair Theatre in Ventura ready for demolition August 2 - who's going to be there?

Author Topic: Mayfair Theatre in Ventura ready for demolition August 2 - who's going to be there?
David Morrison

- posted July 30, 2004 08:14 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
The construction barricades are already up, marked for July 29 to August 15. I hear demolition happens this coming Monday - anyone want to come by to see her go?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 30, 2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
On a kinda related note, the Old Edwards Alhambra 5 in Alhambra, CA was torn down yesterday. One day its gone. Today its rubble.

David Morrison

- posted July 31, 2004 11:26 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY JESUS THAT SUXXXX!!!!!!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Administrator

- posted July 31, 2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One day its gone. Today its rubble.
Where'd it go that day it was gone before it became rubble? [LOL]

David Morrison

- posted August 02, 2004 11:09 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
They're taking down the marquee and ticket booth today. I've been permitted to take photos of the gutted interiors. Tomorrow, the building itself goes down.

Bill Gabel

- posted August 02, 2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Edward's Alhambra 5 was just a standard Edwards plex design. There was nothing special about that house.
On the Mayfair isn't there just the bare walls left?

David Morrison

- posted August 02, 2004 08:08 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
"Nothing special"? It's still sad. [Frown]

Yeah, the Mayfair's gutted but you can still see the steps were the chairs were, stage area, entrance (they're saving the specially-designed doors with the circular windows, too), and so on.

Bill Gabel

- posted August 03, 2004 06:29 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
When the Arden Theatre was gutted by fire. They still had not done the demolition of the theatre, when I stopped by. You could still see the side walls, seats lobby area. I have some pictures of it. When they were doing the demolition to the Art-Deco Warner Beverly Hills Theatre in the late 80's. I spent 2 weeks taking pictures of it. And when they did the demolition to the Pacific's Picwood Theatre in West Los Angeles, I spent a few days taking pictures on that theatre.

Yes, It is sad when one gets torn down. But its even sadder when its a large single palace or one that has a special design plan. [Frown]

David Morrison

- posted August 03, 2004 10:43 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by a Ventura Conservancy member that the circular pattern in the roof above the Mayfair marquee was designed to remind one of a film reel.

I took about 6 rolls of film so far.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 03, 2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really looking forward to the pictures.

Mike Olpin

- posted August 04, 2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
The Alhambra 5 was built on or nearby to the original Alhambra Theatre, the first theatre the original Mr. Edwards owned in the 1930s. It [the original Alhambra] is credited as the first twin cinema. Mr. Edwards sold it and was out of the industry for a while until he (or perhaps it was his son?) started the newer Edwards chain in the 60s.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 04, 2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mike, Edwards opened the Alhambra Place 5 in the 1980's when they were reviving Downtown Alhambra. They already were running the Original Alhambra Theatre, nad the Capri Theatre. Plus the new Monterey Mall 3 was a huge success. So they opened and built the 5.

Fate came in 1987 when the Whittier quake badly damaged several area theatres, including the Alhambra, Capri, and the AMC Rosemead 4.

In 1988 or 89, they built the Atlantic Palace 10 on the site of the original Edwards Alhambra.

Bill Gabel

- posted August 05, 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Jeff said the Atlantic Palace 10 was built on the site of the former Alhambra Theatre. The Alhambra Palace 5 was less then a mile away from that site. I worked both theatres as a union relief projectionist a few times during the 90's. Edwards Theatres would open nice theatres, but their upkeep would go down hill FAST. They were never truly clean theatres. [Shrug]

[ August 05, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

David Morrison

- posted August 05, 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards Camarillo Palace 12 is the same way - dirty, scuffed up and depressingly so.

At least there's the art theatre just across the freeway. [Big Grin]

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 05, 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Edward's upkeep of the theatres hasnt improved much since being bought by Regal. When I went to the Aliso Viejo 20 a few weeks ago, the theatre was in bad shape and its not too old.

Same with the new Rennisance 14 in Alhambra, not too old, but the Automated Ticket Machines dont work and never have, the paint is already peeling, and the floors stained. Sad to be in a nice new theatre and see what it looks like not a year later.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.