HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Lynn 4 in Lynnwood, WA

Author Topic: Lynn 4 in Lynnwood, WA
Aaron N McAbee

- posted July 02, 2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Aaron N McAbee   Email Aaron N McAbee         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to know as much as possible about this theater that ran until 1984 (I believe). Now converted to a warehouse, I have very found memorys of this theater, even though I only saw a few films there. I also remember a theater manager being tragically shot and killed over a tiny till one night and that the theater soon closed soon after. Can anyone fill in the blanks or point me towards other details about this theater?

|  IP: Logged

Bob Allen

- posted July 02, 2004 01:26 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Aaron:

I don't know about "filling in the blanks" for you but when I worked as projectionist there ('69-'70) it was Called the "Lynn Twin" and was owned by Sterling Theatres. It had two auditoriums and two seperate changeover booths (both Simplex E-7s an Peerless Magnarcs) and a union projectionist in each booth. The manager at that time was Jim Wolf (I think). I met my wife there (she was a cashier) and we were married across the street in the Lutheran Church. (I don't know what you are going to do with that bit of info but I just thought I'd just throw it in.)

Dave Felthous

- posted July 02, 2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lynn Twin opened in the late 60s, I'm pretty sure, and intially it showed the same movies in each auditorium, but with staggered showtimes, supposedly for "customer convenience." That didn't last long. In the mid-80s each auditorium was cut in half, making four very narrow, long, airliner-type theaters with tiny screens. In its last days it was a bargain house and apparently did well. At that time a popular young night manager was slain by a robber who confromted him at a bank's night deposit. When Cineplex Odeon bought out Sterling Theaters it didn't want the Lynn, so it folded. It's been a warehouse for a group called World Concern for years. I'd be curious to know whether they removed the walls between the tunnel-like theaters.

Dan Roben

- posted July 03, 2004 09:55 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the Lynn Twin very fondly. I grew up in South Snohomish County during the 60's and this theater, along with the Princess (now Edmonds) Theater in Edmonds WA, were our only choices to watch movies.

It originally opened in 1965 as the Lynn Theater (a single screen) and as it was immediately popular, the "Twin" was added about a year later. Both were identical 800 seat houses and both featured second run double bills until the late 70's when each theater was halved down the middle (poorly, I might add) to create the Lynn Four.

When the remodel was complete, the theater played first-run product until Sterling opened the Grand Cinemas Alderwood in 1980. Shortly thereafter, it changed over to a bargain house. My memory is a little sketchy at this point, but I believe Sterling closed the Lynn Four before they sold out to Cineplex Odeon.

It lay vacant for years before being used as a warehouse as mentioned above by Dave. I can't verify if the dividing walls have been removed, but I looked inside the lobby a year or so ago and noticed that the readerboards above each theater entrance (used to announce the film title) were still there and lit up.

Dave Felthous

- posted July 03, 2004 08:28 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan has unclogged my ancient memory. I had forgotten that the Lynn initially was a single screen. We didn't move to the area until 1966, and it was probably about then that the second auditorium was added, along with the strange single double bill that played in both houses, but at different times.

I remember that each theater had what I considered unattractive draperies in front of the screens. One was (I think) green and yellow stripes, the other big burgandy-colored rose-like flowers.

The walls were painted concrete block, not the best accoustical material, but this theater never did have stereo sound. There were huge laminated beams, stained a pleasing honey color, supporting the roofs of both auditoriums.

All in all it was a pretty good venue until it was fourplexed. That ruined it.

Dan Roben

- posted July 03, 2004 11:39 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,your last comments brought back even more memories. Both houses were completely identical, right down to the off-white/gold/brown curtains--mid 60's decor at its finest!

I had forgotten about the cinderblock construction and the fact that the blocks were bare and painted brown. I don't recall the practice of showing the same double bill in both houses at the same time, but it wouldn't surprise me. The fact that there were two theaters in the same location was very novel then (and I believe it was the first two theater operation in the greater Seattle area).

BTW, the two theaters were never numbered. In print advertising, a film was playing either at the "Lynn" or the "Twin". How simple life was back then!

There you have it--more than anyone ever could want to know about the Lynn Twin, gone but not forgotten at least by a few of us.

Aaron N McAbee

- posted July 05, 2004 10:26 PM      Profile for Aaron N McAbee   Email Aaron N McAbee         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the info. I will be putting all your details and names into the new write up. Even though I missed it's heyday (as the Twins) I still loved the theater as the Four. Keep an eye out in the next few months for the revised.

Ken Layton

- posted October 29, 2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall seeing some news stories on the tv news back then about that tragic murder.

Joseph DiSomma

- posted November 02, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Joseph DiSomma   Email Joseph DiSomma         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone interested in picking up this thread on the Lynn 4 theater?

Arthur Allen

- posted July 28, 2013 09:46 AM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Seattle Public Library Seattle Times Archive comes an article from January 7, 1987, North Section, H1 about the closure of the theater, and the robbery of the previous year (which could have been just weeks or months before). I don't know when Cineplex Odeon took over, but the article seemed to say that SRO still ran the theater then. The main Cinematour page indicates that the place is leveled now.

I only attended once, for a double feature of Snow White and Tron. Snow White was shown cropped at 1:1.85 and Tron was shown with top masking dropping down to make the screen "wider." At least the theater had a soundproof room in the back for women with crying babies, a feature Sterling also put in the Crest.

[ July 28, 2013, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Arthur Allen ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.