CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Del Amo 16 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Del Amo 16
Jeff Arellano

- posted July 16, 2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to the Mall Theatres. I never went to the Marketplace. Oddly enough, everytime i wanted a movie it was at the mall.

They built some restraunt where the mall theatre was, correct?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted January 01, 2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Went here on 12/30 to see "Night At The Museum". My mom lives down the street from the theatre so, since we spent New Years with her, we took a stroll on over to the new digs.

First things first - this is an 18...not a 16. Can someone change the title of the thread accordingly?

I'm starting to dig these new AMC's. We saw "NATM" in one of the 4 big auds - #1. But, judging by the layout of the theatre, there looks to be 4 nice sized auds and 4 regular size auds spread out over two sides of the complex. Looks to me like they all have top masking but the screens are so oversized that 2:35 won't look so bad on them. I peeked into one of the auds showing Dreamgirls (which is 2:35) and it looked pretty decent. Sound was nice, too.

Looks like AMC's newbie on the Tustin/Irvine border may get some action from me after all when it opens later this year.

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 02, 2007 12:53 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought that the Avenue was originally Krikorian. Odd that Regal got their hands on it, I guess that means Krikorian has his price.

Krikorian built a six plex on the site (his first theatre) and later expanded it to nine. The theatre was sold to Regal, along with the rest of his pre-stadium chain. Regal demolished the original theatre and built the current complex.

The story behind that original six plex and his entry in to the theatre business: George lived in the area and had to drive a distance, in order to take his kids to the movies (circa early 80's). Seeing a need, he decided to build his own theatre in the area (up until that time, his business had been centered on realestate).

David Au

- posted January 04, 2007 02:01 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
A new AMC in the Tustin/Irvine area? Doesn't the area already have enough screens?

Christopher Crouch

- posted January 04, 2007 04:24 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A new AMC in the Tustin/Irvine area? Doesn't the area already have enough screens?

It will be a part of "The District" developement, a property located roughly across the freeway from the Tustin Marketplace (on a parcel of the former millitary base, near the landmark blimp hangers).

Believe it or not, there is plenty of business in the area for a new theatre complex. They are currently building several large housing developements on former base and farm property in the area (the old el toro base is a huge piece of land that will surely see more developement in the future). The existing theatres, in the immediate area, are generally outdated multiplexes. About the only real competition in the area would be the Edwards Spectrum, but there is enough population and distance between the two for there not to be a true oversaturation. If the housing developments continue to grow at their current rate, I'd actually expect to see another megaplex pop up in the near future.

Chris Utley

- posted January 04, 2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it many times, but the Edwards Irvine Spectrum is not as good a theatre as people think it is. Aside from the 4 big auditoriums and the IMAX, the rest of the theatre is crap. I'll probably end up going to The District more than Spectrum when it opens.

Tom Mundell

- posted January 06, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm starting to dig these new AMC's.
Still tough to believe this is AMC we're talking about! Really glad to hear they've improved though. Do they still use the same exceedingly steep stadium risers and red seats as in their typical 24 plexes?

Mark Campbell

- posted January 06, 2007 06:42 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am too. I recently saw "Children of Men" and "Borat" at the new Century 15 and was pleased. And that comes from me, who usually dislikes stadium seating. (my issues with stadium theatres are top-down masking on screens that are usually too large to be showing 1:85 and aesthetic reasons of theatre design.)

Chris Utley

- posted January 08, 2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And now I know one of the reasons why: according to their latest batch of press releases touting their new theatres, it looks like AMC has switched sound formats from SDDS to Dolby Digital EX. Neato!

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 08, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I told you. I really like Century, Del Amo, Santa Anita, Victoria Gardens.....these new gen AMC's are definitely better and bigger.

Can't wait till AMC Monterey Park opens!

David Au

- posted January 08, 2007 07:46 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you mentioned previously that it would be a Loews design. The Loews designs in Glendale, AZ and Rockaway, NJ that opened a few months ago under the AMC name had Loews style seating and Loews decor. The seats aren't as high as AMC chairs and I believe there is also less leg room in Loews designs. It's not quite as good as a new AMC style theater.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 09, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Monterey Park was designed by Loews, but still hasnt even started construction yet, so there could be changes between then and now. I did post pictures before of the layout of the Monterey Park theatre.

Tom Mundell

- posted February 13, 2007 03:14 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
When did AMC switch from SDDS to Dolby Digital EX? Do they install EX in all the auditoriums or just the big ones?

I visited AMC's Tysons Corner 16 this weekend and on the whole was impressed; huge improvement over any other AMC built theater I've been to (mostly 24-30 plexes). Sound was overall pretty good, though bass was a touch weak (really nice to see them switch from the aweful speakers on the ceiling design). I'm not sure if the show I saw was in Dolby or SDDS, but any case there were no digital dropouts or any other problems. Definite bonus for no audible projector or ventilation! Screens have top/bottom masking, so although fixed width it's at least a little better than top only masking where you're looking down for scope movies. In this room at least the screen wasn't offset to the side by an exit door, though I haven't seen the small rooms yet. Seating is slightly different than some older AMC's and was quite comfortable. I'll definitely be going back though, this place was much better than the (nearby for me) Consolidated Majestic 20...

Bill Gabel

- posted February 14, 2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Sony no longer makes the SDDS units. They some what support the units. Alot of places have removed SDDS unit and replaced them with Dolby CP650 units.

Tom Mundell

- posted February 16, 2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I knew SDDS was discontinued, but wasn't sure when that happened...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.