CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » AMC Del Amo 16 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Del Amo 16
Jeff Arellano

- posted June 08, 2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I cannot find it on 3 websites, the LA Times today had an Advertisement for Del Amo Mall with a welcome to AMC Theatres, as they are going to start construction on the new AMC Del Amo 16 this fall. (LA Times, Page B7 in California) This will take over where the UA Del Amo 6 and Mann Del Amo 9 left off

Talk about a load of theatres in one area. AMC Has South Bay 16, and Rolling Hills 20 all within a few miles (South Bay was a GCC, Rolling Hills is just plain small, the largest theatre is about 250 seats).

I'm sure this will look like the new 16-plexes AMC is building (Burbank 16 and Santa Anita 16).

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 10, 2004 08:27 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is taking over the South Bay, I guess...

I like the Rolling Hills 20. To me, it's big compared to those ridiculous 30 plexes they have (10 decent auditoriums and 20 boxes). All the screens are pretty decent as well.

Then again...the South Bay Galleria is about 10-15 minutes away from Del Amo Mall. Suddenly, this decision ain't making sense...unless AMC's planning to sell the SB 16.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 11, 2004 09:21 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about the Southbay Galleria 16 in Redondo Beach? AMC has been running that since they acquired GCC.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 11, 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt they sell. AMC is problably wanting to take over the south bay since there arent that many theatres there and both Rolling Hills and South Bay are successful.

Also, it is the Mills Corp who owns Del Amo, so I'm sure tehy are trying to make it into a destination, like Ontario Mills, The Block, etc...

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 12, 2004 12:34 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
*clears throat*

ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT THE GALLERIA @ SOUTHBAY IN REDONDO BEACH?

[Cool]

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 12, 2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we are Scott.

AMC Galleria at South Bay 16. Formerly a GCC House. Now an AMC.

David Morrison

- posted July 14, 2004 04:16 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
Lest we forget Regal The Avenue 13 (formerly the Krikorian Peninsula Cinema 9) at 550 Deep Valley Drive, Rolling Hills Estates 90274!

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 14, 2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Those two Regal houses are small. A Small rarely busy 13 plex (OH MY GOD IT HAS AN UNLUCKY NUMBER OF SCREENS!) and an old, decrepid 6 plex off Western.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 14, 2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the Avenue was originally Krikorian. Odd that Regal got their hands on it, I guess that means Krikorian has his price.

I need to get down to those parts of the Southbay... that whole area has done a good job mystifying me.

David Morrison

- posted July 15, 2004 10:07 AM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
"Those two Regal houses are small. A Small rarely busy 13 plex (OH MY GOD IT HAS AN UNLUCKY NUMBER OF SCREENS!) and an old, decrepid 6 plex off Western."

I take it these are the same two theatres, despite the disparate addresses?

Krikorian Terrace Cinema 6 - 28845 South Western Avenue, Rancho Palos Verdes 90275
Regal Terrace Cinema 6 - 28901 South Western Avenue, Rancho Palos Verdes 90275

Also, that 13-plex does loads of business, especially on weekends - simply because RPV is a cloistered little hamlet where absolutely nothing else is going on!

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 15, 2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove by and walked through Del Amo Mall.

Wow the old Fashion Square Mall wing is closed and ready to be torn down. They have a load of room for the theatre. The mall looks like shit still.

I guess the 13plex has picked up. I havent been there in a few years. When I went in summer it was slow.

Also, The old Del Amo Mall 9 plex is now a LA Fitness.
The old UA Del Amo Theatre is still up but not accessable anymore due to that wing of the mall being closed.

Also, I drove by the AMC Rolling Hills 20 for the first time in a long time. Its funny to see the old AMC Rolling Hills 6 as part of the theatre (When They added to Rolling Hills, they added 13 theatres to the side with a new lobby. They added the 20th theatre in the lobby of the old 6 plex, the 6 original theatres are there, just now part of the new complex with stadium seating).

Chris Utley

- posted July 15, 2004 06:03 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
That LA Fitness you saw used to be the Mann Del Amo 9 to be exact. 9 Screens all THX and all Digital Sound with 4 theatres stadium. That was a great great theatre. The UA across the street was a P.O.S. But...aren't all UA's P's O's S???

David Morrison

- posted July 16, 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for David Morrison   Email David Morrison         Edit/Delete Post 
"...aren't all UA's P's O's S???"

Like the La-Canada Flintridge one in Montrose? [Big Grin]

[duff man]OH YEAHHHHHH![/duff man]

I miss the Del Amo 9 - I saw "Highlander 3" there!

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 16, 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
UA Pasadena - POS
UA Valley - POS
UA Brea - POS....

Well Chris, I'm going to have to agree with you.

Every time i go to a UA I do this:

[barf]

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 16, 2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
When you say the UA Brea was...well, you know...do you mean the Brea Mall theater or the Brea Marketplace theater? I lived in the Brea/Fullerton area for about 6-7 years and the Brea Marketplace (Birch St., behind Brea Mall) was actually a very nice theater. Had 8 screens and its own parking garage. The Brea Mall theater, however, was...well, just what you said it was. I only went there twice and it was a DUMP!! Beat-up carpeting, corrugated metal walls and ceilings, and you could hear someone hammering on the metal during the movie. I couldn't believe a classy place like Brea Mall had a theater that was so lousy. But I do miss the Brea Marketplace. Wish they had kept that one going.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.