CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Tustin Legacy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Tustin Legacy
Ron Pierce

- posted June 05, 2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Orange County, California will have another multiplex coming on line after the District at Tustin Legacy on the old Marine air station opens in the spring of 2006. No operator has been announced but Vestar Development has an 18-screen on their site plan. Other tenants will include Lowes, Costco and Borders. At 1,100,000 leasable square feet, it will be larger than the Irvine Spectrum, six miles away. It is only four miles away from the Irvine/Tustin Marketplace cinemas.
A new community in south Orange County called Ladera Ranch, planned to be larger than the city of Mission Viejo, will probably be another prime area to build a new cinema. Ladera Ranch is growing very quickly and probably the 10-screen stadium in Mission Viejo will be inadequate to handle this growth.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 05, 2004 10:48 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! don't let it be another Regal!!! It's time that Mid-South OC got some fresh new competition. Either way, if I'm still around the OC in 2006, I'll check it out.

I'm also anticipating the new Century in Huntington Beach. That's supposed to open this fall but I haven't seen anything erected as of yet. They'll probably postpone till next summer to rake in that Star Wars Episode 3 moolah!

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 06, 2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I know AMC is looking at a lot of property. This would be great for them. Their OC Presence is small. And this new 18 plex would kick the Tustin Marketplace's buttocks, and im sure the smaller Irvine houses, like Park Place and Woodbridge would suffer big time. I hate Regal.

Chris Utley

- posted June 07, 2004 01:50 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, Jeff. Regal is a practical monopoly in Orange County. Umpteen Regals to 1 Century (and one on the way), 1 Krikorian, 3 AMC's and 2 Mann's that are waiting to be put out of their misery.

The new Tustin spot will definitely destroy Tustin Marketplace 6. Marketplace 10 may hang on. They pretty much use Park Place as arthouse #2 (besides University 6) except for the summertime. Westpark's an overflow for Spectrum...too out of the way for Tustin clientele. We shall see.

Jeff Arellano

- posted June 07, 2004 06:20 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind you, the two Mann's were formerly Edwards Theatres.

Edwards always had a monopoly in OC. So Cal Theatres had a few, but they went bust. Now those are all independent.

Ron Pierce

- posted February 12, 2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Vestar Development wants to open this center by Christmas which doesn't necessarily mean the theatres will be open by then. Even the city of Tustin says this is very ambitious. I have been by and they are moving a lot of earth around and they have enormous stacks of pipe which were said to have been purchased early to get a good deal.
Meanwhile, two miles away, Edwards Park Place 10 closed sometime in January. All Edwards signage has been removed. An employee at Edwards University said the building could be demolished and replaced by a parking garage. Park Place opened on April 3, 1996, just about four months after the Irvine Spectrum. I have photos of Park Place and The District at Tustin Legacy.

-

-

Chris Utley

- posted February 12, 2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Why in the world did they close Park Place? I liked that theatre. As I said earlier, they used it primarily as a "move over" house for arthouse/indie flicks. What a bummer!

Kyle Muldrow

- posted February 12, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe they closed Park Place either. I thought that place was doing pretty good. Strange...

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 12, 2006 08:59 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, Regal will have a tough time keeping both Tustin theatres open when AMC Opens at teh Legacy.

Christopher Crouch

- posted February 15, 2006 02:00 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
"and im sure the smaller Irvine houses, like Park Place and Woodbridge would suffer big time."

The Woodbridge is now a discount house, so a new first run theatre in the area wouldn't have much of an impact.

Todd Erwin

- posted February 16, 2006 10:42 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad Park Place is closed. This was one of the notorious Edwards locations that liked to crop the image to fit a static 2:1 screen.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 27, 2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
So, the AMC Tustin 14 is doing horrible business.
Im sure it will pick up by christmas but my friend told me that the place is doing about 20 people during the weekday, and several hundred only on the weekends.

Issues:
No one knows its there
Its in a highly Industrial area.
The restaurants havent opened yet.

Im sure once people realize its there it will grow.

Christopher Crouch

- posted September 27, 2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
The District development seems to be doing subpar in general, but those are some shocking attendance figures for the theatre.

While I'm sure the whole complex will pick up in time, I noted a few problematic issues, during my visit:

The development's layout is a bit too spread out; more of a specific destination venue than strolling/browsing experience.

There is some difficulty/confusion in finding your way in, out, and around the complex. Hopfully, this will be remedied when all of the road work is completed.

Theatre specific:

The theatre's location isn't exactly clear when you enter the large property and (again) it isn't the type of destination where you park and walk around. Considering the type of development it turned out to be, the theatre probably would have been better served as more of a stand alone building with an outwardly facing entrance.

Chris Utley

- posted September 27, 2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I never made it over there before I moved. I intended to, but just got too busy managing movie clubs in LA and prepping for the move. Oh well.

Todd Erwin

- posted October 02, 2007 02:42 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that might help the AMC Tustin is for AMC to take out circuit listings in the OC Register again. I keep looking for showtime listings for AMC, but it seems only Regal, Cinemark, Regency, and Krikorian are buying ad space in the OCR these days.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.