CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » St. Louis, MO: The Wehrenberg jingle (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: St. Louis, MO: The Wehrenberg jingle
Dan Roben

- posted May 17, 2007 12:24 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I couldn't agree with you more about Imo's! During my first visit to STL, I found out about them by accident (the power of advertising!), wondered what the heck a "St Louis Style pizza" was and tried them. Now it's a must-have, whenever I go back. And let's not forget about Concretes at Ted Drewes Frozen Custard!

I'll let Chris or Kyle explain what makes an Imo's pizza special (hint: it's the cheese!).

Getting back on-topic, after listening to the Wehrenberg jingle for the first time, I can certainly understand the nostalgic feelings you St Louis members have! I would compare it to the same feelings I get after hearing the original General Cinema jingle.

|  IP: Logged

Ronald Almiron

- posted May 17, 2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Ronald Almiron   Email Ronald Almiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Kindly allow me to do so, Dan. Provel cheese is a soft white cheese that sticks to the roof of your mouth. That, coupled with the super thin crust that never wilts and the unique taste of the Italian sausage, is what makes Imo's so great. Maybe some of you ought to pool some cash together and open up west coast Imo's franchises. For more on provel, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provel
St. Louis Bread Co. (now known outside the area as Panera) used to use provel slices on their sandwiches. As for Ted's, I go back and forth between a limecrete and a jumbo blueberry sundae.

Chris Utley

- posted May 17, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ron. I never got the chance to wax nostalgic about St. Louis with you. I lived there till 1985 (I was in 6th grade) but those first 12 years of my life are cluttered with memories of Cardinals games, White Castles, Chinese food, Imo's and matinees at the Halls Ferry 6 (later 8 - didn't become 14 till after I was long gone) & the Esquire and nights at the Airway, North Twin & Holiday Drive-Ins. Thanks a bunch for posting the full Wehrenberg jingle for us. Now all I need to see is the film version and I'll die a happy man!

Norman Plant

- posted May 17, 2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, I'm with you on the Limecrete. It's been my favorite since it came out. Imo's is a regular Friday ritual at our house. It helps having one less than a mile away. Delivery is quick. I highly recommend both to anyone coming to St Louis.

Dan Roben

- posted May 17, 2007 07:43 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I know I'll be visiting St Louis again, can anyone tell me which Wehrenberg Theaters are worth checking out?

Limecrete at Ted Drewe's is definitely on the "to-do" list!

Chris Utley

- posted May 17, 2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie's 20 (for the Concession Stand & the IMAX)
Galaxy 14 (for the Mega Screen...which is truly MEGA!)

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 18, 2007 02:43 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Chris...The Ronnies and the Galaxy are the two best Wehrenberg theaters in St. Louis, but I have to put in a good word for the St. Charles 18...now known as STADIUM 18. While it doesn't have the "star" attractions of the other two, it's still a good theater in its own right. Mid Rivers 14 in St. Peters is not bad either, but it's in a mall. If you're not a big fan of mall elements, the St. Charles 18 is your pick if you in my old stomping grounds. Haven't been to the new Town Square 12 in Dardenne Prairie, but you might not be headed that far out anyway...

Hey, Norm, you're in South County, so maybe you can field this one: Many people on the film forum on the Post-Dispatch are constantly complaining about the lack of theaters in that area. Many of them are art-house fans and don't really like the Ronnies, and they say the Kenrick is no good at all. I've heard AMC wants to build a new theater at Crestwood Plaza to replace the one they have now, but I've also heard that whole mall is going downhill fast and may not even stay open much longer...which was unthinkable just a few years ago. What say you?

Norman Plant

- posted May 18, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Norman Plant   Email Norman Plant         Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle, the Ronnie's is really it in South County. The Arnold is ok, but fairly nondescript. The Kenrick is dated, and Crestwood Mall is in bad shape. I don't think another incarnation of a theater there would help. I would be surprised if any exhibitor thought folks in South County would want an art house. The folks who make those decisions look at demographics and determine that West County (where most of the "important" people and the media live) and St Charles County are the places to build and have no idea South County exists. We still don't have metrolink and I doubt we'll get it soon (Bi-State thinks Shrewsbury is South County and that we are being served). I think the Gravois Bluffs development in Fenton would be a perfect place to build another theater, and I believe AMC could close Crestwood and build in Arnold and give Wehrenberg a run for their money.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted May 18, 2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You'd think a theater company...and Wehrenberg especially, given their history on the South Side...would realize the enormous population base in South County and just go for it. I can't believe Wehrenberg hasn't even thought about expanding the Kenrick (if possible) or putting another theater in South County Center...OK, Westfield Shoppingtown South County (yuck).

For the record, Wehrenberg has announced they will build a 12-screener at Gravois Bluffs, scheduled to open Summer 2008.

You've got three huge high schools (Mehlville, Oakville, and Lindbergh) in that area, even more if you count Kirkwood and Rockwood Summit. How can South County be ignored? Doesn't make much sense to me...

[ June 10, 2007, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Kyle Muldrow ]

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 18, 2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been curious why Wehrenberg closed the Keller 8 right there in Mehlville. I wonder if they thought they could consolidate their South County presence to the Ronnie's when it expanded from 8 to 20.

(Ritenour '88) [Razz]

Ronald Almiron

- posted May 18, 2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Ronald Almiron   Email Ronald Almiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Fenton idea. The area by Rte. 30 and 141 has changed a lot. The modern Ronnie's pretty much takes care of South County, I think (with the Chesterfield Galaxy serving West County). Two theatres I fondly remember are the General Cinema Sunset Hills and the Mark Twain (located right at Gravois and Lindbergh), which is where I saw Ghostbusters way back when.

[ May 18, 2007, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Ronald Almiron ]

Dan Roben

- posted May 18, 2007 06:08 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I have duly noted them.

Mark Richey

- posted June 10, 2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I went to college in Columbia for 4 1/2 years (go Tigers!), I have only limited experience with Wehrenberg, since they chose to never expand to mid-Missouri (aside from the 5-plex at the outlet mall in Osage Beach). I did go to see a few movies at Wehrenberg locations in St. Louis, however. I remember a friend of mine making it a point to go home to Ballwin the weekend that the Empire Strikes Back re-release opened in 1997, to see it at a Wehrenberg, instead of whatever theater in Columbia was showing it (since I had nothing better to do that weekend, I tagged along).

As for pizza, Imo's (which does have a store in Columbia) was OK, but the world's (or at least Missouri's) best pizza is, without a doubt, Shakespeare's, located just down the street from the historic Missouri Theater. But, I may be biased...

Andrew Reed

- posted June 13, 2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Reed   Email Andrew Reed         Edit/Delete Post 
Imo's is good...Faraci's is the best (Ballwin and Ferguson).

I always went to Wehrenberg's St. Charles 10, Mid Rivers 7, and AMC Regency Square when I was growing up (Country Day/MICDS grad, btw). Went to Halls Ferry 7, Cross Keys, Village Square, and Northland occasionally. It seems like there used to be more theatres...I guess with bigger theatres come fewer theatres. Now I usually go to Wehrenberg's Galaxy in Chesterfield, AMC Chesterfield Mall, AMC West Olive, or AMC Creve Coeur...that's when I'm in town. I'm in Greencastle, IN 9 of 12 months now.(DePauw University student)

How's the new Regal/UA/whatever they are now at St. Louis Mills?

Bradley Higgins

- posted December 08, 2009 05:02 AM      Profile for Bradley Higgins   Email Bradley Higgins         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to go to the Halls Ferry 6,8,14 theater and hear it all the time. I remember the scratches on the screen before Wehrenberg Theaters appeared and then it zoomed on to the crown.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.