CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » What company operated the Belle Meade?

Author Topic: What company operated the Belle Meade?
Michael Coate

- posted February 06, 2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, everyone. First post here at cinematour, though I've read other areas of the site for some time and have also posted at film-tech for a few years.

I have a question regarding the Belle Meade Theatre in Nashville, Tennessee. Anyone familiar with this place and know what company operated the theatre circa 1980? I've checked here and Cinema Treasures and elsewhere and have not been able to locate any information on what company ran the place. I have a couple of movie ads from The Tennessean newspaper but none identify the chain.

Thanks.

Michael Coate
Widescreen Review Magazine & Webzine

|  IP: Logged

Roger Katz

- posted February 06, 2004 09:02 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any records for 1980, but I do have 1970. In 1970 the Belle Meade Cinerama in Nashville was owned by Martin Theatre Companies of Columbus, Georgia. As of 1970 Martin owned 143 theatres in Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Subsequent research shows that Martin Theatres then either became, or was bought by, Carmike Cinemas.

And even further research turns up this passage:
quote:

Belle Meade Theatre

No longer in operation. Opened during Wednesday, May 1, 1940. Located on Harding Road. Built by Tony Sudekum in what used to be his front yard. His Crescent Amusement Company began in 1911. The theatre was built with 1100 seats and had 800 in later days. Martin took the theatre over in 1961. Martin became Carmike on October 25, 1985. Closed February 28, 1991. Became a BookStar book store.

So, there you have it!

Bill Gabel

- posted February 11, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
The Belle Meade Theatre was part of the Martin Theatre Circuit in the 80's. But Martin Theatres like other circuits broken it up as different corperation names.

Martin Theatre Circuit

• Martin Theatres of Georgia, Inc.
    Martin Theatres of Alabama, Inc.
    Martin Cinerama Theatres
This was as of 1982.
The Belle Meade Theatre was in Martin Cinerama Theatre division.

Michael Coate

- posted February 11, 2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, guys!

Jack Coursey

- posted March 04, 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Jack Coursey   Email Jack Coursey         Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to make some photos of the interior just before the Bookstop closed its doors. Bookstop managed to retain (and in some instances, restore) most of the distintive elements of the theatre. The Belle Meade has/had a clone, the Melrose Theatre located in south Nashville.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.