CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » planned new cinemas (Page 4)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Author Topic: planned new cinemas
Jeff Arellano

- posted February 01, 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea. Im glad to hear that Riverside is finally getting good theatres. I also think Fontana, even though it has no theatre, is too close to draw a good crowd due to Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario. I think somewhere closer to San Berdo will be a better fit.

Edit: La Costa Town Square in Carlsbad is probably where teh AMC 12 screen theatre will be.

After years of struggling to attract shoppers and keep its tenants, the Moreno Valley Mall will add a 16-screen movie theater by Arizona-based Harkins late in 2005. The theater, already under construction, will take up a space long intended to be the mall's fifth major tenant.

|  IP: Logged

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 02, 2005 11:51 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually,Jeff,Fontana still has the Ultrastar 8 theatres on Valley Boulevard & Sierra Avenue,just off the 10 freeway.
Still pulls in decent business,even though presentation still largely sucks.

Mike Olpin

- posted February 03, 2005 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Olpin         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been able to gather, The AMC in Santee is expected to go behind the 24 hr fitness on Mission Gorge Road (near the trolley center). I expect that Parkway Plaza will take a hit, and I expect that this will be the death knell (sp?) for the old Santee Drive In, and possably the Grossmont Trolley 8. [Frown]

But Santee has been long overdue. [Big Grin]

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 04, 2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, where in relation to the new site was the location of the old AMC Santee theatre? Is that building still standing?

Chris Utley

- posted February 04, 2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
And...in case you guys didn't know...construction is in progress on a new Century Theatres 20 screen in Huntington Beach. It'll be located at the Huntington Center at Beach Blvd. and the 405. Century's website says it'll be open this summer.

There's a pretty big theatre gap on the westside of OC between Cypress and Costa Mesa. The only theatres present along that stretch of land is an independent 4 screener along the Cypress/Garden Grove border and 3 other Regals: A Regal-branded 16 in Garden Grove and 2 Edwards brands: a 10 screen in Westminster and a 5 screen in HB (which will probably be put out of it's misery when the new Century opens). The new theatre will provide some much needed mojo on that side of town...not to mention variety. If I see one more edition of "The 2wenty", I'm gonna poke my eyes out!

Jeff Arellano

- posted February 04, 2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention Chris that the Edwards Long Beach is a mile shy of OC. That seems to be the theatre serving a majority of the area. I hate Regal though. That 2wenty programming makes me fall asleep before the movie.

James Gonzalez

- posted February 23, 2005 07:55 PM      Profile for James Gonzalez   Email James Gonzalez         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like there is a theatre planned for the Hill Country Galleria shopping center in The Village of Bee Cave, TX. The site is located just southwest of Austin at 620 and 71 W. No information is available on when construction would begin, the number of screens or which chain will operate the theatre. Construction has already begun on an adjacent shopping center managed by the owners of the Hill Country Galleria.

http://www.hillcountrygalleria.net/hcg_docs/hcg_facts.htm

Matt DiBuono

- posted February 25, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Matt DiBuono   Email Matt DiBuono         Edit/Delete Post 
Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Movie megaplex in works

By JOSHUA L. WEINSTEIN, Portland Press Herald Writer

Copyright © 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
E-mail this story to a friend

The world's largest movie theater company plans to build Maine's largest megaplex - a 16-screen giant at the Maine Mall.

In order to accommodate thousands of moviegoers, as well as mall shoppers, developers also want to build a multi-level parking deck.

The plan is to build the megaplex in the mall's parking lot near J.C. Penney and the Coastline Inn.

Dick Westerling, senior vice president of marketing and advertising for Regal Entertainment Group, which is proposing the cinema, said Tuesday the theater would fit well at the mall.

"This type of facility will not only be a local draw, but a regional draw," he said.

It also could mean the end of the nearby Clarks Pond 8, an eight-screen movie house also owned by Regal.

"At this time, we intend to continue to operate the Clarks Pond 8," Westerling said. "When we get closer to the opening of the Maine Mall 16, we will re-evaluate the status of the Clarks Pond to determine its future."

It's unclear how long that will be.

"Once we receive approval from the city, we would begin construction, but there is a lot of information that has to be delivered and provided to the city to get approval," he said.

The proposal comes three years after the seven-screen Maine Mall Cinema closed because of lack of business.

That movie theater was owned by AMC Theatres of Kansas City, Mo., and was built in 1975 as a three-screen house. Business thrived, and in 1984, General Cinema Corp., which owned the theater at the time, expanded it to seven screens at a cost of $600,000.

South Portland City Manager Jeff Jordan said Regal has been in touch with the city's planning staff. "That's all I know about it," he said.

Jordan said a planning staffer told him last week that Regal and Maine Mall officials had been in to talk about a very large movie theater.

"I said, 'How many screens?' " Jordan said.

Westerling said the planned theater's enormous size provides "a wonderful experience, because you've got a beautiful, oversize lobby area that is brightly lit and kind of an exciting, dynamic environment. It . . . creates a lot of excitement and enthusiasm for moviegoers."

The theater would feature stadium seating, which means that rather than having a slanted floor, each row of seats would be on an individual level.

"You've got plush, high-back rocking recliner seats, and what the stadium does with the riser is, you're up above the person in front of you, so you have an unobstructed view of the screen," Westerling said.

Seats also would have retractable cup holders that moviegoers can push out of the way to form love seats.

Regal operates 6,242 screens in 560 theaters in 40 states. That is 17 percent of all screens in the United States. The company's movie theaters are Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres.

Chris Utley

- posted March 04, 2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And...in case you guys didn't know...construction is in progress on a new Century Theatres 20 screen in Huntington Beach. It'll be located at the Huntington Center at Beach Blvd. and the 405. Century's website says it'll be open this summer.
Now Century's website lists this new theatre as opening in Fall 2005. Bummer. Looks like I'll have to keep blazing across the 55 Freeway to their Stadium 25 location in Orange for just a few more months!

Mike Rivest

- posted March 18, 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Famous Players ? SilverCity Saskatoon 12

The StarPhoenix

March 18, 2005

Construction of a 12-screen stadium-style theatre complex in the south downtown will begin this summer, as long as Famous Players agrees to a city tax incentive package.

Under terms city council informally approved behind closed doors Monday, Famous Players would collect an annual refund of the city's amusement tax and receive a five-year reduction of property taxes. In exchange, the company would build a $15-million to $18-million theatre at the southwest corner of 20th Street and Second Avenue South.

The theatre complex will complement the city's 30-acre River Landing redevelopment half a block farther south, predicts Mayor Don Atchison. It also creates a "cultural corridor" stretching from the Broadway Theatre in Nutana to Famous Players' new theatre and the proposed Persephone Theatre in south downtown to the Roxy Theatre and Saskatchewan Native Theatre Company in Riversdale.

"I think it's just great," Atchison said. "It's very positive news for everyone in Saskatoon. There's nothing like this in Saskatoon right now."

"It is the latest technology in the film industry," Atchison said.

Stadium theatres feature more choice of concessions, bigger screens, better sound and tiered seating.

Council will vote on ratifying the incentive package Monday. The boards of Famous Players and Princeton Developments, which is leasing the land commonly known as Block 146 to the theatre chain, would then have 45 days to give final approval.

As a condition of the tax breaks, construction must begin by Sept. 1.

"It's not in the bag until the cheque's cashed," Atchison said. "I'm very excited about it. Hopefully we're going to be able to pull this all together."

Lanny White, Princeton's vice-president of operations, said he's confident Famous Players will accept the deal, even though the theatre chain had asked for a seven-year, 100 per cent tax abatement. The provincial Cities Act allows cities to offer abatements no longer than five years.

The city has typically offered full abatements like Famous Players requested for only large employers, such as manufacturing and processing plants.

"For them to be in the downtown core, this incentive with the city had to be addressed first," White said. "Because if there wasn't anything there, I don't think they were prepared to come downtown."

Princeton already has a signed offer with Famous Players, subject to the two boards' final approval, White said.

The tax abatement for Famous Players starts at 100 per cent in the first year, moving to 80 per cent in the second, 60 per cent in the third, 40 per cent in the fourth and 20 per cent in the final year.

The city charges an amusement tax on movie theatre tickets and rides at the annual Prairieland Exhibition. Council granted an exception to the tax last year for the Roxy Theatre in Riversdale, where a sale to Rainbow Cinemas is still pending.

The amusement tax is a sliding scale, but stadium theatre tickets would incur a nine per cent surcharge, which the city would refund Famous Players each year.

Ron Pierce

- posted March 25, 2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Loews Cineplex for Monterey Park.
http://www.globest.com/news/249_249/losangeles/132535-1.html

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted March 25, 2005 09:12 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
New Center Lands Loews Cineplex
By Bob Howard

MONTEREY PARK, CA-Loews Cineplex has signed a 20-year lease for 65,000 sf of space at Atlantic Times Square, a new 200,000-sf open air, mixed-use entertainment center that Kam Sang Co. of Arcadia is developing here. The center will take shape on a site at Atlantic Boulevard and Hellman Avenue, with construction scheduled to break ground in June and the center slated to be completed in September 2006.

The Loews lease was brokered by Mark Baziak of Grubb & Ellis’ Newport Beach office and Max Franco of the firm’s Downtown Los Angeles office. In addition to the retail and entertainment portion of the project, Atlantic Times Square consists of 200 condominiums, according to the City of Monterey Park. Loews will be the anchor of the center, where a number of retailers have also signed leases, including Cold Stone Creamery and Quizno’s. Numerous other retailers have shown interest signing Letters of Intent to lease space totaling over 150,000 sf, the city says.

City documents say that the project "will consist of one two-story and several five- and six-story buildings, with retail uses on the ground floor and residences located above the retail stores." The site will be landscaped and will feature plazas, fountains and gathering places, among other amenities. Approximately 1,795 parking spaces will be provided in a three-level semi-subterranean garage. The upper two parking levels will be designated for the theater, retail and other commercial uses. The third level will have 400 parking spaces reserved for residents and their guests.

Atlantic Times Square is one of a series of commercial redevelopment projects under way in Monterey Park, among them Garvey Villas, Towne Centre and Market Place. Garvey Villas is a mixed-use project at the southwest corner of Atlantic Boulevard and Garvey Avenue; Towne Centre is planned for 110 condominiums and approximately 73,000 sf of commercial space at the southeast corner of Garfield and Garvey avenues; and Market Place will be a 507,000-sf center that will be the largest shopping center in the city. It is planned for a site north of the Pomona Freeway and west of Paramount Boulevard.

Ron Newman

- posted March 26, 2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is something in California being called Atlantic Times Square?

Jim Rankin
(Jim passed away in December 2006)

- posted March 26, 2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Jim Rankin   Email Jim Rankin         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that there are many Eastern cities with things called "Pacific" in their phone books. To many people, a name is just a name, and the easier it is to remember, the better. Then again, "Atlantic" might be just a street name, though maybe a bit optimistic on the Pacific shores!

Jeff Arellano

- posted March 26, 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Its called Atlantic due to the fact that it is on Atlantic Blvd. I pass by the site almost daily and signs have been in place for about 2 months. I live about 3 minutes from here. The site is mostly cleared already. Maybe I'll take pictures of the site as they are building it. This theatre will be the first in Monterey Park since the Edwards Monterey Mall 3 closed in 1998 I beleive. Monterey Park has never really had a decent movie theatre. Also, this theatre will be bad news for AMC Montebello (oddly enough where I worked) which at 13 years old, is finally showing age and attendance drop offs, even though it survived the expansion of Puente, the Norwalk 20, Krikorian's Downey 10, Pacific's Commerce expansion and stadium upgrade, Regal's Edwards Alhambra 14.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.