CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » planned new cinemas (Page 16)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Author Topic: planned new cinemas
Chris Utley

- posted September 09, 2009 10:02 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal now has a page set up for LA Live 14:

http://www.regmovies.com/cinemas/LALiveStadium14.aspx

Looks like this will be the first all digital projection multiplex within the LA city limits. Notice the lack of discussion regarding its screen sizes. It wouldn't shock me at all if that 800 seat "Regal Premiere House" is top/drop down masking.

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 09, 2009 11:36 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Downtown L.A. really becoming that big of an entertainment district?!? I know the Staples Center is there but last I heard that was about the only reason anybody dared step food downtown.

Chris Utley

- posted September 09, 2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They're trying to revitalize Downtown LA as a whole. I've been to LA Live and it's pretty spiffy. The Nokia Theatre is gaining traction as a mid-range concert hall - some decent names have played there. Food is overpriced (ESPN Zone STINKS - but I love Yard House!) and parking costs too much - I only take the train when I stroll down here.

On the other side of Downtown, there's a proposed development called Grand Avenue which was supposed to include an AMC. Last I heard, the groundbreaking got delayed due to fallback from the recession.

On top of that, they're talking about restoring the stretch across Broadway where the classic theatres are and turning those into live venues as a sort of "Broadway West" type thing.

We will see what happens in the years to come.

Chris Utley

- posted September 15, 2009 12:10 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regal now has a page set up for LA Live 14:

http://www.regmovies.com/cinemas/LALiveStadium14.aspx

And NOW they're selling tickets to the next "Twilight" movie which opens in November.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 20, 2009 06:03 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks pretty dreadful, and I don't see it becoming a powerhouse like ArcLight or the Grove anytime soon, either.

I can only speak for myself, but as one who lives about three blocks away, I believe the Downtown "development" has only made the area less desirable. Two years ago, the South Park corner was gentrifying and safe but still vacant on the weekends -- the perfect residential secret. Now, it's like any other attraction in the city -- loud and overhyped -- and the multiplex opening will only make it worse. I'm bailing to South Pasadena in December.

Not to mention, this will undoubtedly put the Laemmle Grande out of business, which is no great tragedy but it was a grandly musty place where you could occasionally catch something good.

Then there's the million dollar question: who's really going to go to the LA Live 14 regularly? USC students, those working in the area, and those who are in the area for other things, sure. That's enough to sustain a good amount of business, but not to become one of the top mutliplexes in the country, which Regal seems to be hoping for. Unless the parking is more ample than the street view would suggest and the theater provides validation for $2 or less, why would anyone come to downtown just to see a movie? Furthermore, those on the Metro Red Line who could conveniently access the complex have their own, superior theaters (ArcLight, Chinese, Vista & Los Feliz, and hell, even Universal CityWalk). The Blue Line will have a nice new theater to brag about, I guess.

Chris, I'd say the three or four biggest auditoriums will be side-masking, as seems to be consistent with the Regal standard. But no friggin' way there will be more than five of them like that, as the mysterious allure of "wall-to-wall" screens will no doubt continue.

I'm sure the seats will be nice, but I guarantee it costs at least $12.75 a ticket (EDIT: It's actually $11/adult $8.50/student, so not as bad, surprisingly) and, with yucky digital and no showmanship, that's just not worth it. I'll walk down opening weekend for a show, but if I'm going to go to a multiplex, I'd rather drive up to Burbank and have a nice, mellow time with free parking and film projection.

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 20, 2009 06:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. this place will not make a killing at all. Its going to be the biggest flop for Regal in southern california since they opened the Foothill Ranch 22 years ago (which is still dead on weekends).

I do think it will end the life of both the University 3 and the Grande 4. I even think that it will cause larger waves with the Pacific Commerce 14 and AMC Montebello 10. These two theatres may be about 7 miles away, but both are on life support (I think Montebello will close when the lease is up in 2012).

Chris Utley

- posted September 22, 2009 11:40 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal LA Live's official opening date is October 27 with 14 advanced screenings of "Michael Jackson's This Is It."

Also, there's more info about parking rates & theatre anemities - specifically the screen size in their "Regal Premiere House" (couldn't they take a page from the Edwards book that they now own and call the room The Palace or something?).

http://www.lalive.com/content.php?section=entertainment&page=regal_cinemas

Looks like I'll be taking the Green/Blue line up here on opening weekend to give the place a test drive.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 22, 2009 12:49 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
$5 for four hours of parking? That's not as bad as CityWalk, but still more than enough to deter those who want to just see a movie, not do anything else. Pretty much Metro mandatory, which is fine for those who live on the line, but not for others.

Not to mention, it's not exactly close to the Metro stops (until they build a specific one for LA Live). When the signage went up all that way down Olympic Blvd, I couldn't help but think about what a hike those getting off at 7th/Flower or Flower/Pico would have.

Chris Utley

- posted September 22, 2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, the Flower/Pico Metro stop (aka Chick Hearn Station) is only a block away from the Convention Center/Staples/LA Live. Everytime I go to Staples I take the Blue Line to this stop. It is nowhere near the hike that you think it is...

...although since LA is so auto-centric, I guess a 2-3 block walk would be a hike for some. Not me, though. [Big Grin]

David Au

- posted September 22, 2009 10:14 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the "Premiere House" might actually be quite nice. Eight hundred seats and a 70 foot screen sounds like it will be quite an experience. Hopefully, you can get a look at what the other auditoriums look like. I hope the rest of them are not shoeboxes.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 22, 2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, unless the shortcut through L.A. Live is really quick, Staples is still a few blocks from the place. The entrance to the theater is on Olympic, two lights up from Figueroa just before the 110 overpass. Living at 9th/Flower, it's a three block walk from me. Admittedly, it looks farther than it actually is--and your reminder puts things in perspective--but Google puts the walk from the Blue Line station at 0.7 miles, whether you cut through the complex or just take Flower to Olympic. That's double the walk as the Sunset/Vermont Red Line Station to the Los Feliz 3.

Chris Utley

- posted September 23, 2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Still not as bad of a walk...at least not for me.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 23, 2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
With my luck the premiere house will always be playing the worst movie Hollywood has to offer which is why I still haven't seen anything at the Cinerama Dome, why I saw Starsky & Hutch at the Chinese, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days at the National and something equally as crappy at the Village.

Do those big theatres actually play good movies EVER?

Chris Utley

- posted September 23, 2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott, next time you visit The Woods of Holly, do it in the summer - preferably May. "Starsky & Hutch" came out in March (IIRC). Ain't nothing good in theatres in friggin March!

If you REALLY wanna see The Dome in action, drop by in early September when they actually show Cinerama films.

Sounds to me like you always end up out here in exactly the wrong time of year.

Brad Erickson

- posted September 23, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Village has played a majority of this years biggest films this year...Watchmen, Monsters vs Aliens, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, The Hangover, Tranformers 2, Harry Potter, Inglorious Basterds. Unfortunately most of the Sheep in L.A. prefer the Small Crappy Multiplexes which is why the theatre is closing next year.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.