CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » planned new cinemas (Page 12)

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Author Topic: planned new cinemas
John J. Fink

- posted November 19, 2006 06:28 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Rockaway this weekend and was impressed by it for the most part - glad to have a new theater in an area cornered by Clearview Cinemas. But it should be noted it's one of four new complexes open/set to open in Northern NJ. The others are:

Clearview Cinemas at South Orange Performing Arts Center, a 5-plex in downtown South Orange, without stadium seating (anybody else here know of a chain that opens a new theater without it?) - the theaters are small, 1 & 2 are on the first floor, and the other 3 are on the third.

Muvico 26 at Xanadu, a huge luxery cinema complex at the all new Xanadu, by the meadowlands.

AMC(?) Garden State Plaza 16, unknown if this will be an AMC, I know Loews was interested in building a new theater in a town where they had dominated (under the Cineplex Oden brand), although there is no word who will run it.

But, back to Rockaway, this place rocked - huge screens, high back (not AMC style), digital sound, good popcorn (with plasma displays at the snack bar), and solid projection. I'm glad AMC is back in Rockaway.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Fuentz

- posted November 20, 2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a few weeks old, but I just came across it while trying to find out who the operator of the new 16-screener at the Sierra Vista Mall was going to be:

http://www.fresnobee.com/170/story/9196.html

Campus Pointe signs theater

Maya Cinemas to build 14-screen complex at project near Fresno State.

By Sanford Nax / The Fresno Bee 10/24/06 03:48:15

The developer of Campus Pointe near California State University, Fresno, has signed a new theater operator, one he said will allow the school to use the facility when movies aren't in session.

Maya Cinemas will build a 14-screen theater with stadium-style seating at the 45-acre mixed-use project proposed at the northeast corner of Shaw and Chestnut avenues.

Maya has a movie house in Salinas and is expanding to Fresno, Bakersfield, San Jose and other cities, said Moctesuma Esparza, the company's chief executive.

"There is an area in that part of Fresno that I would say is underserved," he said. "We did a market study and it showed a trade area that would support it."

Esparza said he was drawn to the proximity to Fresno State and the nearby Save Mart Center, and to the approximately $110 million Campus Pointe project, which will include three types of housing, a hotel and 150,000 square feet of stores and restaurants. Walkways will connect the project to the campus

"It is like a little old-fashioned downtown," Esparza said.

He called movie-going an "impulse activity" where people visit the closest neighborhood theater. "Three to four miles is the area of dominance," he said in response to contentions the project would be too close to movie screens being built at Sierra Vista Mall in Clovis.

Maya will allow the university to use the screens in the mornings when movies are not showing and agreed to give hiring preference to students and university personnel, said Ed Kashian, developer of Campus Pointe.

Maya also plans to devote a screen to art, foreign and specialty films, including Spanish-language offerings.

Maya replaces Wallace Theater, which was not as willing to meet university requirements, Kashian said. Officials at Wallace couldn't be reached for comment.

Esparza said the movie industry experienced a slump last year but is bouncing back with box office receipts up 7% from 2005. Two demographic groups that view a lot of movies — 14- to 24-year-olds and Latino families — have a large presence in Fresno, he added.

"The average American goes to the moves 5.3 times per year; the average Latino goes 10 times," Esparza said.

Meanwhile, Campus Pointe is proceeding through the planning approval process.

The reporter can be reachedat snax@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6495.

David Au

- posted November 21, 2006 12:13 AM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think this theater will do well? Will there be too many movie screens in Fresno? Are theaters in Fresno crowded?

I saw a photo tour of the Maya Cinemas in Salinas. It looks kind of upscale.

Daniel Fuentz

- posted November 21, 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this particular theater will do well being located on a college campus. The only casualty I'm predicting is the old UA 8-plex a few miles down Shaw. (Well, the existing UA 6-plex at Sierra Vista Mall will close when the new theater there opens, so I guess technically that's a casualty as well.) Obviously Regal does not share my opinion since they re-carpeted and completely re-seated the 8-plex about this time last year. (And they were brand new seats, too, replacing the tattered brown ones from when the place opened in 1986)

Most of the movie business in town goes to the Edwards at River Park and the Regal (Signature) theater at Manchester Center. The three UA's do enough business to stay open, but I've never seen them exactly "packed".

Daniel Fuentz

- posted December 11, 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Criterion Cinema at Sierra Vista Mall opens on the 15th.

http://www.northamericancinemas.com/criterion.asp

Goodbye UA 6...

David Au

- posted December 11, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
This is interesting. The new theater looks like it will kill the UA theater. No protest from Regal?

Daniel Fuentz

- posted December 11, 2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz         Edit/Delete Post 
It was always stated from the beginning that the current UA theater would either be demolished or converted to retail once the new theater opened. As to why Regal didn't get the chance to operate the new theater I couldn't say, but I have wondered about that myself. I don't know anyone with any info, so I can only guess!

Paul Bubny

- posted December 12, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting back to the new AMC Rockaway and some of its future competitors, does anybody know what's up with the Muvico Xanadu complex? I know the Xanadu developer had major financial problems earlier this year, and at very least that should push back completion of the development (including the Muvico 26-screener).

Speaking of Muvico, the company announced other projects about two years ago, including theatres in Pennsylvania, Illinois, New Jersey (aside from Xanadu, there was also a 16-screener that was supposed to be built at Aviation Plaza in Linden) and their home state of Florida. Have any of these come to fruition, outside of Florida?

As for the AMC 16-screener at Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ: I've gone past the old AMC Loews (nee Cineplex, nee RKO) 10-screener in Paramus a few times over the past couple of months, and notice that only eight of 10 slots on the marquee are taken up; the slots for Theatre 1 and Theatre 2 have been blank for weeks. Are they maybe renovating the old place, and if so, what does this mean for the GSP multi?

John J. Fink

- posted December 12, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Is AMC going to be running Garden State Plaza? I'm not sure, last time I was at the 10 plex (for Borat, opening weekend) it didn't look as if they're doing any construction on the place, really its the same as it was back in the 90's.

Xanadu looks to be on track, in fact take a look at this site:
http://www.ddg-usa.com/Projects/Muvico_Xanadu/Project.html

Muvico does have other sites outside of Florida including Baltamore and Memphis. Muvico's website did at one time mention Avation Plaza, but it no longer does. The company has gone through a shake up after the company's president Hamid Hashemi was fired, he ushered in that era of Muvico's themed theaters when he sold most of their sites and focused his attention on the 20-screener and I-Max at Pointe Orlando. At one time AMC even offered to buy Muvico, but as far as I see there is at least some progress with Xandu especially now since Mills sold the property off.

Paul Bubny

- posted December 13, 2006 09:55 AM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know for sure that AMC will operate the GSP theatre, although apparently it's under construction (have not been there recently to see for myself); the city of Paramus gave the go-ahead more than a year ago. FWIW, regarding the Muvico complexes, a Wikipedia article gives projected opening dates for some of their previously announced projects. According to the article (author unknown--I assume he has some basis for making these statements), there will be a new Muvico 20-screener opening this month in Estero, FL, to be followed by a 14-screener in Boynton Beach, FL early next year. The 20-screen Illinois location (Rosemont in the Chicago suburbs) is supposed to open late next summer. The Xanadu 26-screener, a 20-screener in the Allentown, PA area, another 20-screener in Sarasota, FL, and that theatre in Linden, NJ are not opening until sometime in 2008 at the earliest. Again, I have no idea who wrote this Wikipedia entry or where he got his information from.

Tom Mundell

- posted December 13, 2006 04:15 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...10-screener in Paramus a few times over the past couple of months, and notice that only eight of 10 slots on the marquee are taken up; the slots for Theatre 1 and Theatre 2 have been blank for weeks. Are they maybe renovating the old place, and if so, what does this mean for the GSP multi?
Or were they just running some movies on multiple screens?

Paul Bubny

- posted December 13, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite possible, although at the moment it looks as though all 10 screens are accounted for on Fandango, with a single screen for each feature. But since the 16-screener is apparently going to happen, it isn't likely the 10-plex would be upgraded anyway. I have some fond moviegoing memories of that place (or at least what used to be Theatre #1, which had a 62-foot screen before it was carved up in 1983-84) but maybe its time is past. It'll probably serve as a move-over house for a while after the new one opens.

Mark Richey

- posted December 21, 2006 05:39 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
This article from the Beaumont Enterprise discusses the huge new shopping center that's planned for the fast-growing Beaumont suburb of Lumberton (the town I actually live in), which will include a movie theater--the first completely new build in Southeast Texas in 10 years--if the town repeals the ban on selling alcohol within city limits.

Mike Rivest

- posted December 31, 2006 02:32 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Rivest         Edit/Delete Post 
Amqui QC: a new 3-plex opened December 5 at an old bowling alley

http://www.fleuve.net/Actualites/details.asp?id=9&o=8

Fermé il ya une quinzaine d'années et transformé en salle de quilles pendant un certain temps, le vieux cinéma Figaro d'Amqui reprend vie grâce aux efforts de la Coopérative de solidarité socioculturelle de la Matapédia.

Le Figaro rouvrira ses portes le 5 décembre prochain à 19 h.

Les Matapédiens, membre de la coopérative, font le pari que le septième art peut retrouver sa place dans la Vallée. Pour se faire, ils n'ont pas ménagé leurs efforts.

Le nouveau cinéma de la Vallée de la Matépédia sera doté de deux salles de projections ultramodernes et pourra accueillir un total de 220 personnes. Ce projet de relance est une initiative de Gratien Thériault, un restaurateur de la Matapédia.

Même si son projet accuse une année de retard, il est heureux d'avoir finalement réussi à réunir les 500 000 $ nécessaires à la réouverture du Figaro. « Amqui est un centre entre Rimouski, Campbelton et Matane. On est un centre et faut donner les services d'un centre sinon, on vide Amqui », est d'avis Gratien Thériault, président de la Coopérative de solidarité socioculturelle de la Matapédia.

Gratien Thériault, président de la coopérative qui gère ce projet de rénovation de l'ancien cinéma.

Cinéma, café et galerie d'art Tout a été pensé pour utiliser au maximum le Figaro : la salle de projection pourra de salle de conférence ou de spectacle et les artistes de la Vallée auront leurs cimaises. « Il y aura un café bistrot avec galerie d'art intérieure et une terrasse extérieure qui donne sur la rivière. Avec ça, on va donner un service qu'on n'a pas actuellement à Amqui », estime Gratien Thériault.

Pour que tout soit prêt pour l'inauguration vendredi à 19 h, les ouvriers n'ont pas chômé durant les derniers jours. Au début de la semaine, les écrans, les sièges et les comptoirs de services attendaient toujours d'être installés.

Une seule des deux salles sera prête à temps pour l'inauguration.

Cette semaine, les ouvriers s'affairaient à terminer les travaux en prévision de l'inauguration.

Retombées positives Prêt ou presque prêt vendredi, ce projet coopératif n'a pas que le mérite de redonner du cinéma aux Matapédiens. Il permet aussi de sauver de la démolition un des plus vieux édifices du centre-ville d'Amqui.

Sans compter que le cinéma permettra de retenir les gens qui, autrement, iraient consommer à l'extérieur de la Matapédia. Pour les promoteurs, il s'agit d'un aspect non négligeable qui aidera à revitaliser la région.

ad is here
 -

Arch Stanton

- posted January 05, 2007 11:09 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton   Email Arch Stanton         Edit/Delete Post 
YONKERS, NY NEW THEATERS:

Regal Multiplex for the downtown retail center at the corner of Palisade Avenue and New Main Street. See www.sfcyonkers.com-the developer's website for this project.

National Amusements at the Ridge Hill retail/ housing project which is off the west side of NY State Thruway between Tuckahoe Road and Stew Leonard Drive.

But both projects are subject to substantial changes...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  19  20  21 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.