CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas and Theatres   » Westport neighborhood, Kansas City

Author Topic: Westport neighborhood, Kansas City
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted June 17, 2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be some confusion going on surrounding the Manor Square and Tivoli Theatres in the Kansas City neighborhood of Westport.

When I was in KC photographing last year, I located the addresses as given.

The Manor Square was on the west side of Pennsylvania, apparently somewhere in this building, as indicated by the address and blade sign. There is a parking lot on the east side of the street, which I parked the car in to get out for the photo:

-

The Tivoli was on the south side of Westport, apparently in this building, according to the address:

-

Here's a map of the neighborhood:

-

But now I'm told that the two theaters are the same and located in the same block, which just doesn't make sense given the addresses.

The Pennsylvania Avenue location is now called the Tivoli Cinemas with a website here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything at this point.

What the heck is going on in Westport? Was there an address shift (both down the street a block and across the street) or were there really two separate theaters?

Am I going to have to go to Kansas City this summer? Well, the answer to that is already "yes" because I need to photograph the Kansas side of the city. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Leyland

- posted June 18, 2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

The Tivoli theatre is a separate thing from the Manor Square Theatres. The Tivoli group did own both before closing the Tivoli. Now it is just the Tivoli Manor Square. The directions listed on their website are pretty accurate. You go into the Manor Square building, which was a shopping mall in trasformation to office space when I lived there. Go to the back of the center and the box office is near an outside entrance door. While there go around the corner and try Pyrmid Pizza if it is still there.

If you are going back to KC for the Kansas side, do not forget to check out the corner of 119th and Metcalf. In 1993 Cinemark and Dickinson opened on that corner only to be driven out by stadium AMC's four years later. Movies 10 has been converted into office space and Southglen (South Quality) is now supposed to be a 24 Hour Fitness.

Christofer Meissner

- posted June 18, 2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Christofer Meissner   Email Christofer Meissner         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tivoli Theatre, which is now closed, was located on Westport Road. The Manor Square, now called the Tivoli Manor Square, is a 3-plex theatre art house which is located inside the larger complex shown in the pic. There are entrances to the office complex on both Pennsylvania and also on Westport Road. The Tivoli Manor Square theatres are located on the upper floor, although the box office is located on the main floor.

Does this clear things up at all??

Adam, if you do end up coming to KC before the end of July, let me know, as I would be happy (given time) to help you with your tour of local theatres. (I will be moving to Minnesota August 1.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.