CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Minnesota: Cottage View Drive-In to Close; Wal-Mart to Build Super Center

Author Topic: Minnesota: Cottage View Drive-In to Close; Wal-Mart to Build Super Center
Scott Clayton

- posted September 21, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Scott Clayton           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the last drive-in movie theaters in the area is closing to make room for a Wal-Mart.

The Cottage Grove City Council approved Wal-Mart's plans to build a super center on the site at it's Wednesday meeting.
Now, the Cottage View Drive-In will close next month after 47 years in business. Wal-Mart will start construction in the spring.

http://hastings-cottagegrove.kstp.com/news/news/162060-cottage-view-drive-close-wal-mart-build-super-center

|  IP: Logged

Bob Allen

- posted September 21, 2012 02:01 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly many DI operators have found they could get more money for the land their DI sits on than they could operating it as a theatre. I think the same thing happened up in Park Rapids. A WalMart not sits where the DI used to be.

Robert Crabtree

- posted September 25, 2012 10:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Pinellas Park sits on the sites of two former theatres- a 12 screen UA, described as having the charm of a cinderblock warehouse, and a DI.

Wal-Mart- DI killer

Bob Allen

- posted September 26, 2012 03:25 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I also worked for WalMart. The company is not a "DI killer". They will get the best buy they can on property to open a store. Frequently that property is owned by a DI operator who is struggling (whether through poor management or whatever). But WalMart does not have a goal of shutting down drive-ins.

Christopher Crouch

- posted September 29, 2012 04:00 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
It's similar to how closed theatres are taken over by churches with such frequency. Movie theatres and churches have similar facility needs; drive ins and "big box" retailers have similar land requirements.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.