HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Cinemark Playa Vista Theater

Author Topic: Cinemark Playa Vista Theater
Eric Gieszl

- posted July 19, 2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark is a major chain, but I think they're a bit naive when it comes to the Southern California market. They sure have a habit of opening cinemas in the backyard of other operators. They did that to AMC in Long Beach and Chino. This will really put the squeeze on my former theater Rave (The Bridge). I doubt this cinema will be a draw for the studios or West LA. When The Bridge opened in 2001 West Los Angeles was severely short of modern cinemas and the new luxury kind, but that is no longer the case.

Cinemark Announces New NextGen Movie Theatre in Playa Vista

New multiplex in the heart of Los Angeles will feature Cinemark’s NextGen Cinema Design Concept, the largest XD auditorium in Southern California, VIP premium seating & a cocktail lounge with upgraded menu

[i]PLANO, Texas--Cinemark Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: CNK), the world’s highest attended motion picture exhibitor, today announced plans to construct a 9-screen, all-digital movie theatre that will feature the company’s new Cinemark NextGen design concept in the Los Angeles area. The “Runway at Playa Vista” development will be located south of Santa Monica in the Playa Vista neighborhood.

“We will feature ample parking with valet service and a secure environment for red carpet press events. All of this will be conveniently located in an area that is near the studios, the 405 Freeway and LAX.”

Long recognized as a pioneer in the theatrical exhibition industry, Cinemark is taking the cinema entertainment experience to the next level. The new Cinemark NextGen theatre will offer the latest technology, cutting edge amenities and customer-preferred options all under one roof. NextGen amenities will include:

Premium level that will contain VIP seating in multiple auditoriums and an open plaza/cocktail lounge with indoor/outdoor area. The theatre will be the ideal environment for Hollywood movie premiers.

State-of-the-art viewing environment with wall-to-wall, ceiling-to-floor screens available in all auditoriums.

4K digital projection powered by Barco projectors; RealD 3D capability

Enhanced, multi-channel sound system equipped with 50-60 surround sound speakers and 64 separate channels that will enable customers to hear the movie as the filmmaker intended.

Cinemark’s innovative self-serve concession stand – offering freshly-popped popcorn, Coca-Cola fountain beverages and favorite candy brands

Cinemark XD: Extreme Digital Cinema auditorium

Cinemark will be bringing their exclusive large screen format, Cinemark XD Extreme Digital Cinema, auditorium to the market. Cinemark XD is a complete entertainment environment featuring a 72 foot, wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor screen, plush seating and a custom digital surround sound system featuring the latest in sound technology. The digital images will be delivered by a Doremi server and a Barco DLP digital projector, which offers the brightest light standards in the industry. The XD auditorium will exhibit the newest movies every week, including 2D and Real D-3D pictures.

“We are thrilled to introduce our new Cinemark NextGen movie theatre experience with VIP premium seating, that features the latest in digital and sound technologies, to guests in Los Angeles,” states Tim Warner, Cinemark’s Chief Executive Officer. “The Runway at Playa Vista promises to be one of the premier developments in Southern California and our theatre will quickly become recognized as the preferred place in the market to enjoy a great movie-going experience. We plan to move very quickly to open the theatre in early 2014.”

“The Cinemark Playa Vista will provide a convenient opportunity for movie screenings and Premiers as we combine the best technical theatrical experience with dining and cocktails,” states Steve Bunnell, Senior Vice President Global Content Programming. “We will feature ample parking with valet service and a secure environment for red carpet press events. All of this will be conveniently located in an area that is near the studios, the 405 Freeway and LAX.”

“We are ecstatic to have Cinemark open what will be the premier theater experience in Los Angeles at Runway,” added Lincoln Property Company’s Executive Vice President, David Binswanger. “Runway is designed to reflect the Southern California coastal culture and we are pleased to be adding Cinemark to our tenant mix which will also include a gourmet grocer, pharmacy and other neighborhood-serving restaurants and retailers. The open public spaces, landscaped walkways, and outdoor fire places will make Runway a natural community gathering place.”

Cinemark takes pride in creating the best entertainment experience in the industry. In order to make movie-going as easy and enjoyable as possible, Cinemark focuses on offering more choices to their customers. For example, the new theatre will feature online “Print at Home” ticketing, available at www.cinemark.com, which will make it easy for patrons to purchase tickets in advance from the comfort of their home or office. Customers will be able to bypass lines at the box office and go directly to a kiosk in the theatre lobby. Also, guests can download and purchase tickets through Cinemark’s mobile applications that are available for iPhone and Android phones. Finally, to stay connected, customers can sign up online to receive free, weekly showtime emailers that contain online coupons for discounts at the concession stand and other weekly special offers.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted July 19, 2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be fine. The Marina folks will keep it alive and kicking. The UA 6 will be long gone, the AMC Dine-In theatre will only operate 6 screens & Rave is too ghetto-fied. The new Cinemark will serve it's area well.

Eric Gieszl

- posted July 21, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I agree it will be fine.

Has Rave really gone downhill? I'm not surprised as it attracted a really undesirable crowd at times when I worked there. At times the armed security was very helpful.

Todd Erwin

- posted July 24, 2012 12:41 PM      Profile for Todd Erwin   Email Todd Erwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Although the press release doesn't mention it by name, it sure sounds like they are installing Dolby Atmos. I saw Brave in Dolby Atmos at the AMC Century City on opening night (courtesy of Dolby Labs), and was very impressed!!

quote:
Enhanced, multi-channel sound system equipped with 50-60 surround sound speakers and 64 separate channels that will enable customers to hear the movie as the filmmaker intended.

Chris Utley

- posted July 26, 2012 08:58 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I only go to Rave 18 for IMAX films. The last time I saw something regular there, folks were talking all. the. way. through. the. entire. screening!!! Dunno if the presence of security has shut all that down, but I'll never find out. Why pay $2 for parking when I can go to the AMC Del Amo down the street from my house and park for free?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 11, 2012 12:37 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Is $2.00 really a sticking point when going to see a movie? (Yes, I understand the perception stings) but isn't the sort of thing like $2.00 parking what we "snobs" expect the common movie-goer to overlook in favor of a quality theatre?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.