CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Laemmle to close Sunset 5; Sundance to redo/re-open

Author Topic: Laemmle to close Sunset 5; Sundance to redo/re-open
Danny Baldwin

- posted November 03, 2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
The press release is here: http://moviecitynews.com/2011/11/laemmle-theatres-announce-opening-of-new-seven-screen-complex-in-north-hollywood-closure-of-sunset-5-after-almost-20-years-of-operation/

I've heard from good sources about the Sundance takeover, not sure if it's published anywhere official.

The press release also states Laemmle's target date for their new North Hollywood complex to open is just before Christmas. Furthermore, they are getting approvals for a new 5-plex in Glendale (!)... wonder where that's supposed to be. This is funny given I remember some of us discussing Laemmle as a potential operator for the Marketplace.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted November 04, 2011 06:48 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Arclight and Grove really killed the Sunset 5 by stealing high profile independent films. The Sunset is unfortunately located right between those 2 so cannot play films showing at either one.

Brad Erickson

- posted November 04, 2011 09:10 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear Laemmle leaving, but glad Sundance is taking over. The complex still has potential. I think Laemmle had been thinking about leaving there for a while. North Hollywood and Laemmle do make a good match. The Noho 7 should be a big success for them. I'm looking forward to it...and the Sundance venue.

Glendale...really?? West L.A. are they perhaps multiplexing the Royal like the did with Music Hall? I wonder what they are doing to the Monica theatres.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted November 08, 2011 08:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't been the Sundance Kabuki here in SF. Though I've never been inside the Sunset 5 either. Isn't it a fairly small theatre? What could Sundance really do to it to attract people back other than adding a bar?

Mark Campbell

- posted November 09, 2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott, Sunset is indeed fairly small with most auditoriums being well under 200 seats.

Exciting seat counts for all Laemmle theatres as well as sound and projection formats can be seen on their rental pricing PDF on the second page:
http://www.laemmle.com/images/RentalPricing.pdf

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 17, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that today is the last day of The Sunset 5 as a Laemmle because The Los Angeles has all the current movies there listed as "Last Day". A sad last day,indeed.

Danny Baldwin

- posted November 17, 2011 04:19 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
All that means is that all five movies are leaving for new ones. It's operating through the end of the month. "Rampart" will be getting a qualifying run there beginning Wednesday. The final show of "The Room" on the 26th will be a trip.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 17, 2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it odd,then,that they're ending ALL the movies on the same day and they're not closing? Never heard of or seen anything like that before.

Danny Baldwin

- posted November 18, 2011 09:40 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a five plex and their main business right now is one-week Oscar qualifying runs. Not odd at all.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted November 30, 2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing they're really closed now since the theatre is no longer in the Laemmle ad in the Los Angeles Times. In its place is a "Coming Soon" announcement for the upcoming North Hollywood location.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.