CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » ArcLight to Expand to the San Diego Area

Author Topic: ArcLight to Expand to the San Diego Area
Danny Baldwin

- posted September 07, 2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
As a native San Diegan, I'm thrilled, even though this will likely be the end of two great theaters, the AMC La Jolla 12 (where I once worked) and Landmark's La Jolla Village (if ArcLight programs indies).

Here's the full story at The Wrap: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/1850-movie-tickets-come-san-dieg o-arclight-expands-beyond-la-30784

What will be most interesting is: being that this is a new build and not a retrofit, will ArcLight stick to the Hollywood principles and go with side-masking or not!?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted September 07, 2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my...

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 07, 2011 07:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering Pacific pulled out of San Diego years ago.. i call it a last hurrah. All Pacific really has to survive is Arclight.

Chris Utley

- posted September 07, 2011 08:31 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny: I think your indie house will survive. ArcLight only shows indie flicks with a pedigree. The hardcore true blue indies will stay at that Landmark spot.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 07, 2011 08:59 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. Given Landmark has two other locations in the county and Reading (the company that took over Pacific) runs indies at their Gaslamp location, it would seem that the only thing that makes La Jolla a location worth running are the high-grossing exclusive releases like "Midnight in Paris" and "Black Swan". It's hard to imagine ArcLight not making a go of usurping these bookings, and I bet they'd succeed. It's conjecture, but at over 30 years old now, the 'ol place may be done for.

Now I know why AMC put their plans to turn the 12 into a Fork and Screen on hold. What would be great is if somebody like Regency took over and ran the only discount house in San Diego. It's a long-shot, given the high screen-count and the fact that La Jolla is highly affluent and doesn't really jive with the discount concept. But as a true 'mall cinema' with some great (side-masked) screens, I'd hate to see the 12 bite the dust.

Edward Havens

- posted September 07, 2011 11:32 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
1800 seats for 14 screens? In a new building? Really?

Really?

Brad Erickson

- posted September 08, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that brings AMC down is fine with me. They are the McDonalds of film exhibition.

Arclight Hollywood is the one venue that keeps me interested in going to the movies these days. Otherwise I would probably just stay home and just watch Blu rays, with occasional visits to the Village, Bruin, Chinese or a few of the Laemmles. The Arclight branding is quality and worth the extra $$$ in my opinion. I hope this does well for San Diego.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 08, 2011 10:43 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Havens, keep in mind that the three main capacities for Hollywood are 230, 185, and 145. Only two auditoriums are 415. Those screens have never felt small to me.

Edward Havens

- posted September 09, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, keep in mind that the average seating capacity for Archlight San Diego will be 128.5. Two 300 seats houses will drive the remaining average down to 100, and anything larger will get those smallest houses down to Beverly Center-level capacities.

Chris Utley

- posted September 09, 2011 03:36 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
More like ArcLight Beach Cities capabilities. The small houses in there don't look like they hold 100 seats at all. And no side-masking either!

Jeff Arellano

- posted September 09, 2011 05:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
They should nickname this as Arclittle. Im only guessing the old mann 6 there held close to 1500 seats when it had opened.

Danny Baldwin

- posted September 10, 2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... when you put it like that, it does seem tiny. (Arithmetic has never been one of my strong suits.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.