CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC Converting Marina 6 To Dine-In, First For LA Market

Author Topic: AMC Converting Marina 6 To Dine-In, First For LA Market
Eric Gieszl

- posted August 18, 2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl   Email Eric Gieszl         Edit/Delete Post 
Press release from today announcing the conversion of the Marina Del Rey, California location. The westside is getting crowded with upscale cinemas.

AMC Dine-In Theatres Headed to AMC Marina 6

New AMC Dine-In Theatre Experience with a Menu of Choices Opens in Marina Del Rey, Calif., in Summer 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo.--AMC Theatres® (AMC), a leading theatrical exhibition and entertainment company, announced today AMC’s Dine-In TheatresTM experience is coming to guests in and around Marina Del Rey, Calif. Starting in the summer of 2012, guests at AMC Marina 6 can take advantage of AMC Dine-In Theatres, which combines restaurant cuisine and cocktails with AMC’s noted immersive theatre experience and hit movies.

“Dinner and a movie is a longstanding tradition, and we’re excited to bring our dine-in concept to our guests in the Marina Del Rey area,” said Gerry Lopez, chief executive officer and president of AMC Theatres. “AMC Dine-In Theatres is the premier spot for the dine-in moviegoing experience.”

Guests of AMC Dine-In Theatres will enjoy in-theatre dining combined with the most current movies, presented in the immersive, big-screen viewing environment of an AMC theatre. Moviegoers will have the opportunity to order from an extensive menu of appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, desserts, beer, wine and cocktails, as well as traditional theatre concessions. The AMC Dine-In Theatres will also feature spacious, comfortable seating and service at the push of a button.

In addition, beer, wine, cocktails and food will be available at MacGuffins, located inside the theatre. Named after a term coined by famed filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock, MacGuffins is a warm, relaxing and inviting bar with a spacious lounge where guests can relax before or after their entertainment at tables and soft-seating areas. Guests must be at least 18 years old, or accompanied by a parent or guardian.

The menu at MacGuffins and in the AMC Dine-In Theatres auditoriums will feature classic favorites like grilled gourmet burgers, hand-pulled flatbread Pizzettas & Pizzini sandwiches, roasted chicken & brisket quesadillas, wedge salad, wraps and a wide variety of desserts. All menu items have been specifically prepared with the unique and exciting in-theatre dining experience in mind.

Construction begins in the spring of 2012, with the expected opening date to come in the summer of 2012.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted August 18, 2011 08:16 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff Arellano has been telling us this was coming for the last year or so. About time!

As far as the allegedly crowded West LA upscale cinema scene goes, the only one of those is The Landmark. AMC's Century 15 may have reserved seating, but I wouldn't call that "upscale." Ditto for Rave 18 (reserved seating down to 2 screens, restaurant items considerably scaled back).

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 24, 2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes I have. And I believe AMC's second area Dine In Theater will be 1 wing of the block from what I've been hearing....

Chris Utley

- posted August 24, 2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed that their proposed redesign of the Santa Monica 7 would have been a Dine-In too.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 27, 2011 07:57 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
One wing of the Block would be great! I'm a big fan of the theater and usually go each week on my way down from LA to San Diego for the weekend, but too many of the screens are tiny. (It's a shame that the two biggest houses got the IMAX and ETX treatments, so you have to pay extra and there is no masking, but the other two big ones are still great houses to watch a movie.)

It makes perfect sense... There are usually 2-3 screens of even the most modest wide releases, meaning reduced capacity for dining wouldn't be bad, and they could easily convert the attached concession stand. Would be a great addition.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 28, 2011 05:00 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit concerned about the "gourmet"/"luxury"/"fork & screen" movement (especially as the big chains buy in to it). While I see the concept as worthwhile, when utilized sparingly, the "this is the future" mentality, which is becoming more widespread, seems to point towards another colossal industry misstep down the road. My concern isn't so much where we stand over the next year or two, but where we will be as everyone begins to jump on the proverbial bandwagon.

My long term concerns are:

An over saturation of these venues eradicating the "special" aspect which is key to their success (i.e. There is an attraction when it's a unique destination, but not when it becomes something every community has in abundance).

Promoting a further decline in movie going frequency. People simply don't attend movies as frequently at these sorts of theatres, due to added cost and hassle. Not only does that erode the cinema customer base, but it plays right in to the studios' fears/ideas about theatres.

Altering the time tested "magic of movies" experience. From personal experience, in seat service/dining pulls you out of the movie. It's much more difficult to be drawn in or escape into a film when you are interacting with servers and encountering a restaurant/bar/lounge environment. Maybe, that's just me. However, I wonder if this subtle change will degrade the attraction of going out to the movies.

Permanently destroying theatres for traditional use. Once a theatre has been remodeled in to one of these venues, it's course is basically stuck to that model. A big problem if the concept falters.

A higher overhead. More staff, more facilities, and more product are needed to run these theatres. Not a problem when they are booming, but a huge issue when they aren't.

A heavy fad aspect. It's a "new" idea that is attracting a lot of interest out of novelty, but is it sustainable as a long term business model for the industry? I question whether enough people will continue to frequent these theatres after the novelty has passed.

Standardization of a specialty niche, lowering volume, limiting your future options, greater expense, etc. It just doesn't seem like a sound direction to pursue en mass. I find myself with the same feeling I had when the industry was enamored with 20-30 screen megaplexes; i.e. this isn't going to end well.

Of course, I'm jumping ahead and assuming everyone will continue down this path/it will prove to be "the future". If it remains a boutique/specialty niche for the industry, I don't see a problem; it will offer a new option for some older theatres and over screened megaplexes. However, considering the industry's track record of running good ideas in to the ground, I worry.

Danny Baldwin

- posted August 29, 2011 12:00 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right to be concerned, I think... and it certainly can sound similar to a Regal FunScape idea at times... I've posted my negative comments about Cinepolis all over the place, so I should be more pessimistic. But I loved the Alamo Drafthouse so much (and wasn't distracted at all) when I went to SXSW that I have hope for it. I wouldn't want my local 12-screener to go for this type of concept, but for 13 screens of a 30-plex, I say why not...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.