HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Cinemark in tryout with 7-Eleven

Author Topic: Cinemark in tryout with 7-Eleven
John Robert

- posted July 11, 2011 01:01 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
Dallas Morning News article

quote:
7-Eleven and Cinemark are bringing Slurpees to the movies

By MARIA HALKIAS
Staff Writer

Published 08 July 2011 08:40 PM

Slurpees are hitting the red carpet this weekend as Dallas-based 7-Eleven Inc. partners with Plano-based Cinemark Holdings Inc., the third-largest theater operator, to serve up the frozen drinks in three markets.

Thirty-two Cinemark theaters — in Dallas, Houston and Portland, Ore. — are adding Slurpee drinks to their menus as part of a test to learn how the convenience store chain’s signature beverage sells outside the chain.

7-Eleven has stores in Dallas and Portland but not in Houston, which was added “to see how consumers react, since they may not have had a Slurpee in a while,” said 7-Eleven spokeswoman Margaret Chabris.

The chain is considering offering Slurpee to other partners, she said. Slurpee’s chief competitor, Icee, is sold in rival convenience stores and fast food restaurants, including some Subway and Burger King stores.

Slurpees have a huge presence in 7-Eleven’s marketing messages. On Monday, 7-Eleven will give out free Slurpees in 7.11-ounce cups to celebrate 7-Eleven Day, as the company has coined it. 7-Eleven started the giveaway promotion in 2002 when the Dallas-based chain turned 75 years old, and says it expects to give away 5 million Slurpees this year.

Pairing Slurpees with a movie chain is a natural since 7-Eleven has already done a lot of movie promotions, creating Slurpee and Big Gulp cups with 3D images, movie action-figure straws and other offers. 7-Eleven also scored big in 2007 when it partnered with The Simpsons Movie and turned 12 of its stores into Kwik-E-Marts for the whole month of the movie’s release.

“Our research and past promotional successes show that movie fans love Slurpees, and Slurpee fans love movies,” said 7-Eleven senior vice president Jesus Delgado-Jenkins.

Cinemark vice president of food and beverage Bob Shimmin said the chain sells Icees in most of its other theaters and he believes that frozen beverages are an excellent movie theater menu item.

Cinemark wanted to partner with 7-Eleven because “Slurpee is a very strong brand and presents a lot of marketing opportunities for us, including maybe some cross-promotions with their stores in the future,” he said.

This month, 7-Eleven stores are promoting the Cowboys & Aliens movie on Slurpee cups with a new “Alien” flavor. That promotion could be extended to the theaters, Shimmin said.

Cinemark also will be giving away 7.11-ounce Slurpees on Monday. Just as they do in 7-Eleven stores, Cinemark customers will make their own Slurpees.

|  IP: Logged

John J. Fink

- posted July 11, 2011 11:16 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish a chain would pair up with Jamba Juice.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 11, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- smoothies that chains try to do always kinda suck. Jamba would be a nice addition. I find though that sort of specialty that requires official training by a brand rep usually fails. The quality of product isn't the same as people are used to at an actualy store. ie. Starbucks in theatres. Show me a theatre employee who can make a latte or mocha on par with what an actual barista can make.

Danny Baldwin

- posted July 11, 2011 06:02 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Slurpees are definitely better than Icees, but do they work the same way (a normal soda syrup bib)? I was always under the impression it was a little more complicated, but I could be wrong.

The one thing I never got why theaters don't try more is soft-serve... Is it the mess? AMC Century City had it when they opened, but they eliminated it shortly thereafter... Packaged ice cream always sold well when I worked at theaters, I can't imagine soft serve wouldn't go like gangbusters. (AMC has been trying Coke 'floats' lately, but I don't think they're doing normal scooped ice cream too.)

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 11, 2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one thing I never got why theaters don't try more is soft-serve... Is it the mess?
I worked at a theatre test run with soft serve once. The reason that particular chain ended up passing was because the machine's maintenance and cleaning was a bit too involved for their liking. The same thing held true for a smoothie drink AMC once tried in the late 90's (called something like "Fruitaza"). In both cases, there was also a concern about working with a dairy based product (i.e. mistakes and/or neglect could potentially have a problematic outcome). In the case of "Fruitaza", we had to completely disassemble the machine for cleaning each night.

Danny Baldwin

- posted July 11, 2011 07:20 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is doing an array of smoothies again at select locations -- the Block, Burbank 16, and Atlantic Times Square 14 I know for sure... Didn't dare order one, but was a little curious.

John J. Fink

- posted July 11, 2011 07:39 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed AMC has Minute Maid brand smoothies and National Amusements used to have Yogen Fruz (Cineplex in Canada currently does) - Yogen Fruz is frozen yogert smashed by a drill with frozen fruit - they also have smoothies. Many National Amusements and the sites that Rave acquired do have Ben & Jerry's soft serve - but I haven't seen it in any of the legacy (and the one new) Rave location.

Although I can't imagine a limited Jamba menu would be that hard - - they now sell 4 at home smothie kits which I drink almost on a daily basis. They're about as good as the real thing.

Chris Utley

- posted July 12, 2011 02:01 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's selling full blown ice cream at their "Cafe'" at Century City. I think they're doing Dreyer's Ice Cream in cups. Don't recall seeing cones.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 13, 2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've noted over the years is that the expanded menu items don't tend to do all that well at most theatres (ice cream, baked goods, pizza, etc.). I often hear requests for such items, but when/if they are added, there are few interested in actually making a purchase. Customers either perceive the offering as a sub par version or object to the price markup when it's a name brand (or, in the case of coffee, it's not their brand of choice). I'm sure there are locations that do quite well with certain expanded or "gourmet" items, but the average theatre doesn't.

Chris Utley

- posted July 13, 2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot another variable, Chris: The LONG LONG time it takes to get these "premium" items. You'll darn near miss your movie trying to get mozzarella sticks or a pizza at an AMC!

I always felt that chains should just allow McDonalds or BK franchise in the theatres & allow them to staff their own people to prevent lags in concessions (the McD's staff would only sell McD's items...not popcorn!). Just a thought.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted July 14, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The local Cinemarkury (Century 20) had an ICEE machine from day 1.

(I'm assuming it's still there. I haven't been through that concession stand in years.)

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 15, 2011 02:54 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always felt that chains should just allow McDonalds or BK franchise in the theatres & allow them to staff their own people to prevent lags in concessions (the McD's staff would only sell McD's items...not popcorn!). Just a thought.
I remember back in 98', AMC was trying to get an outside food vendor to take over the Mainplace 6's second concession stand (the one that was closer to aud 5 & 6, near the elevator). There were no takers, as the mall's foodcourt offered a better option; the fact that the theatre was only pulling in a few dozen people a day, at the time, didn't help either. The current operator removed the second stand all together, in favor of a birthday party room.

In addition to most theatre chains not wanting to share customers, I think the issue that keeps fast food franchises away is that they would be limited to the theatre's schedule of sets. While they might have heavy spurts of business during sets, the rest of the time, they would be lacking the daily foot traffic (i.e. likely too much downtime for their business model).

Edward Findlay

- posted July 15, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Edward Findlay   Email Edward Findlay         Edit/Delete Post 
7-Eleven contract with Icee to liscense the use of their Icee technology to make their Slurpees, hence them being so similar...

Regarding the smoothies, the cleaning and maintnence of the machines also go along with the liability issue if heaven forbid someone accidentally got in contact with a fruit they were alergic to...unless they go with pre-made packages added to the yogurt and/or ice that was mixed by hand or machine it's asking for problems and lawyer intervention.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.