CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Grauman's Chinese SOLD! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grauman's Chinese SOLD!
Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted May 27, 2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chinese Theatre is a boutique theatre chain which currently owns and operates 7 theatres with 54 screens in Southern California, with the circuit’s primary area of operation being the greater Los Angeles area.
What are the other five sites?

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted May 27, 2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like that statement was either pulled directly from Mann's website or Mann may have spun these two theatres off into their own entity. Because:

1. Glendale 4
2. Glendale 10
3. Plant 16
4. Westlake 8
5. Janns 9
6. Chinese 1
7. Chinese 6
---------------------
7 locations -- 54 screens.

Also -- their website is almost identical in features to the site Mann had what with the forecourt map, premiere photos etc.

Chris Utley

- posted May 27, 2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted the same query at Cinema Treasures. Interesting...

Christopher Crouch

- posted May 27, 2011 10:20 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was just a case of the new owners trying to get something up as soon as possible and copying what Mann already had. I would imagine the errors will be fixed shortly.

Dave Felthous

- posted May 28, 2011 08:39 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I toured the Chinese a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't been inside since the mid-50s. It wasn't as elegant as I remembered, but I was an impressionable teen-ager then.

I've noticed that Grauman's no longer plays the latest mega-title. The week I was there it was "Jumping the Broom," not exactly a barn-burner. The bigger attractions were next door.

Probably the highlight of my two days in Hollywood was going to the Hollywood Museum and discovering an error in their displays. A gown that Doris Day wore in Love Me or Leave Me was dated 1963. It was 1955. I informed the front desk. I felt so brilliant!

Chris Utley

- posted May 29, 2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave: The ArcLight Hollywood complex on Sunset & Vine - anchored by the Cinerama Dome - now swipes the mega-titles. Us locals figure that was because Mann had given up the ghost. With the new Chinese Theatres ownership, we'll see what kind of push they make to get big ticket titles in there.

A ray of hope: They've booked X-MEN: FIRST CLASS starting Friday.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.