CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Official: Mann Closing Marketplace 4 next year (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Official: Mann Closing Marketplace 4 next year
Jeff Arellano

- posted October 05, 2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard from a good source that the 4 is closing for good in November.

|  IP: Logged

Danny Baldwin

- posted October 06, 2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. Looks to me like it's closing tonight. I'm seriously busy, but will try to make it over there.

Danny Baldwin

- posted October 07, 2011 12:26 AM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Went tonight, and it was indeed the last day of Mann operation (presumably all operation). It was the most scratched print I've ever seen -- as if all the projectionists left a few weeks early -- but it was still nice to see the place out. Hard to believe that it was probably the last time I'd see the Mann Feature Presentation snipe...

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 07, 2011 08:27 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the last time you'll ever step into a mann theatre period.

Danny Baldwin

- posted October 09, 2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
A Mann operated theater, almost certainly (can't imagine being compelled to head out to the Deep Valley). But there are still enough Mann builds that I will continue to patronize...

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 09, 2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Westwood theaters don't count. All the mann theaters I used to visit are no longer open except for the chinese 6 and exchange.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 10, 2011 08:51 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they dump the Westwood and the Janns.

Chris Utley

- posted October 11, 2011 11:53 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
They've long divested themselves out of Westwood. Regency's got the Village & Bruin. Landmark's got the Regent.

Mark Campbell

- posted October 11, 2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Scott meant "Westlake" as in Westlake 8 which is probably the only viable theatre they have left. Their Thousand Oaks theatre has the new Muvico right near by playing day and date. Probably just riding out the lease.

The Westlake 8 could soldier on under a different operator.

Danny Baldwin

- posted October 18, 2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, I was referring mainly to the Exchange, the Culver Plaza, the Hazard Center theater (now UltraStar) in San Diego, and the Rancho Niguel 8 (now Regency).

Mark Campbell

- posted October 26, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone post what the Mann LA Times ad (if any) looks like these days with just 2 theaters?

Bob Allen

- posted October 26, 2011 01:48 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
The Times is distributed all over Southern California including Santa Monica. Why not buy a copy and see for yourself?

Mark Campbell

- posted October 26, 2011 03:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, I guess I have neglected to update my location status as Seattle, WA.

Chris Utley

- posted October 26, 2011 08:55 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no longer a Mann ad in the Times. Sad...but true.

Christopher Crouch

- posted October 27, 2011 04:21 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no longer a Mann ad in the Times. Sad...but true.

When Mann ran it's first ad in the LA Times, shortly after buying National General, they listed 51 theatres in the greater Los Angeles area. Now, some thirty-eight years later, what remains of the company doesn't even warrant a print ad. Even more pathetic, when Ted Mann stepped down as chairman, in 1991, the chain featured 510 screens; today, just 17. Talk about a fall!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.