CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Krikorian Closes Dos Lagos 15 in Corona, CA (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Krikorian Closes Dos Lagos 15 in Corona, CA
Jeff Arellano

- posted July 13, 2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about a short life for a theater. This has to be one of the shortest ever. Opened on December 15, 2006, closed July 11, 2010.

This theater doesnt even have an entry on Cinematour!

They just up and closed. They were advertised in the LA Times yesterday. Apparently last day of business was this past Sunday. Who saw this coming...

This theater im sure was never busy though, as they had the Regwards Corona Crossings the next offramp up.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/stories/PE_Biz_D_closed13.17eb7e8.html

quote:

Krikorian theaters close in Corona

MOVIES: Would-be customers at the Dos Lagos facility express surprise. A manager declines to comment.

07:45 PM PDT on Monday, July 12, 2010

By TIFFANY RAY
The Press-Enterprise

The Krikorian Theatres 15 at Dos Lagos has closed, leaving the fate of the cavernous space at the edge of The Promenade Shops at Dos Lagos unclear.

The theater was closed for business Monday afternoon, and workers outside were in the process of removing signs from the main building and the box office outside. The large "Krikorian" sign already had been taken down from above the theater entrance, and a handwritten sign on one of the glass doors to the lobby read, "Closed 4 Good."

Outside, would-be theater-goers turned back to their cars after learning of the closing.
Story continues below
The Press-Enterprise
A handwritten sign taped to a window informs movie-goers of the closure of the Krikorian Theatres 15 at Dos Lagos.

Corona resident Orianna Borrelli walked back to the parking lot with her mom, brother and two friends after finding the theater closed. They had all come to see "The Last Airbender" as part of Orianna's 11th birthday celebration.

"That's like the last thing that I ever would have thought wouldn't be here," her mom, Inga, said. She said they would try to catch something instead at the Edwards theater at The Crossings at Corona shopping center down the road.

"We're disappointed, but what can we do," Inga Borrelli said.

Breanna Sayre, a 17-year-old Corona resident who arrived at the theater intending to see "Grown Ups" with her mom, said the theater in The Crossings at Corona has always been busier, but she had just checked movie times for the Krikorian online Monday, and everything seemed fine.

Inside the theater, a manager declined to comment on the closing.

Nikki Kealalio, marketing director for Torrance-based Krikorian Premiere Theatres, said, unlike other Krikorian theaters, the company only managed the Dos Lagos location and did not own it. She referred other questions to a vice president of operations. Efforts to reach the executive Monday afternoon were unsuccessful.

Kerri La Torre, associate general manager of Taps Fish House & Brewery, across the parking lot from the Krikorian, said the news was a shock for them, too. "They've been jam-packed all week," she said.

La Torre said she didn't hear anything about the closing until she showed up for work Monday. Even then, "I thought maybe they were just cleaning."

It isn't the first business to close in Dos Lagos. A Starbucks shut down months ago, a Coach store is gone, and so is an ice cream shop.

La Torre said Taps business hasn't been impacted by other closings in the center, but "we just want everybody to do well."

[ July 13, 2010, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Arellano ]

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 13, 2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect Krikorian either exercised an early opt out clause in their management deal or the two sides had a falling out over payments/revenue sharing. Being that the closure was so abrupt and not corrisponding with the opening date time period, I'm kind of leaning towards the second scenerio. During my time with the company, there were a lot of unusual business practices.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 13, 2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there will be another operator lined up for this theater. I think it will be reopened by fall, either Regal or Cinemark will take it over.

David Au

- posted July 13, 2010 04:25 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal runs an 18 screen Edwards Cinema just down the street from the closed Krikorian theater. Regal would not want to run 2 movie theaters that are just a few minutes away from each other. This is a case of too many screens for such a small area. The Krikorian is in a struggling shopping center while the Edwards is in a shopping center that features tons of restaurants and big box stores.

Also, the Edwards sign on one side of the theater says SYADIUM 18. Apparently they ran out of letter Ts.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 13, 2010 05:19 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy! I can't believe that a theatre opened in California and we didn't catch! Harder to believe that it's already closed.

I've added it to our database now.

Also this link has a blue print where the theatre is labelled "Movie Experience" so clearly they wanted SoCal to get in on the development. Makes sense why Krikorian ended up with it, they seem to get all the locations other people give up.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 13, 2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not shocked at its closing.. When the Regwards opened up off Cajalco they immediately closed the Edwards 15 off North Main in Corona. Regwards also opened a new megaplex off the 15 in Norco (the next city above Corona) a few years later and AMC opened Tyler Mall to the East. The perfect location for this theater would have been West Corona where you could pull from South Chino Hills and maybe even East Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills (if people dared the 91 in traffic).

And Scott I will be on top of the pending opening of the AMC Atlantic Times Square 14 in Monterey Park which should be any week now.

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 13, 2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think a company like Ultra Star would be next in line. REG already has a theatre in the area. Cinemark and Rave probably wouldn't waste their time/money on a site that has already proved to be a disapointment. The mom and pop operators likely wouldn't have the resources/infrastructure to take on the site. Another mid level chain would be the most logical fit.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 13, 2010 11:35 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Regency! Regency! Or a state of the art 15 screen Starplex! [Cool]

Christopher Crouch

- posted July 14, 2010 02:29 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regency! Regency! Or a state of the art 15 screen Starplex!

I wish they'd expand in California. Unfortunately (for my sensibilities, not theirs), new builds in Texas seems to be the de facto game plan right now. Damn Texas based company (shaking my fist towards Dallas) [Wink]

It would be cool if Regency took it on. While it doesn't fit their typical aquisition, they've surprised me before.

If it were a couple of years ago, this would have Mann written all over it. Struggling center? Failing theatre? Throw in a bad lease agreement and Mann couldn't say no. [Big Grin]

John J. Fink

- posted July 14, 2010 10:19 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha - Starplex. I almost got stuck holding a gift card for their only East Coast location (they had a deal if you bought a $20 gift card they gave you a free ticket, not a bad deal).

Ironically enough that was for a plex that changed hands way too many times - Columbia Park 12 in North Bergen. It has operated under: Regal Cinemas, United Artists, Regal Entertainment Group, Interstate Theaters, Starplex, Phoenix Theaters, and now Big Cinemas. Phoenix/Big Cinemas might be another suitor, they often run complexes by management agreement, even better if there's an opportunity to show Bollywood.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted July 14, 2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it was doomed from day one. When they opened,it was all first run releases,then they mixed the first runs with older films. They even tried to woo the art house crowd for awhile.

Eric Gieszl

- posted July 16, 2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Krikorian had to compete for releases with the nearby Edwards theater and that had to be a factor in the performance.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 20, 2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the press enterprise this theater will reopen in a few weeks by Phoenix Theaters. They are holding a job fair this Thursday at the theater.

Kyle Muldrow

- posted July 21, 2010 11:45 AM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the website for that company?

Phoenix Theaters

If so, there's no mention of this on the site...yet.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 21, 2010 11:58 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
No there is a slight mention.....

Click on CORPORATE, then EMPLOYMENT... then select DOS LAGOS 15.

Or, read the article below =P

http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/PE_Biz_D_phoenix21.2a0ef78.html

quote:
Movie theater to reopen next week

CORONA: The Promenade Shops at Dos Lagos is under new management. The cinema also will have new managers.

09:10 PM PDT on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

By TIFFANY RAY
The Press-Enterprise

The 15-screen movie theater at the Promenade Shops at Dos Lagos in Corona could reopen as early as next week under new management.

The Krikorian Theatres 15 at Dos Lagos, as it was known, closed without warning July 12. Two days later, Dallas-based Cypress Equities announced it had taken over management of the shopping center, and that Phoenix Big Cinemas Management, a Knoxville, Tenn.-based company, would take over responsibilities for the theater.

Scott Harrington, managing principal for Cypress Equities, said the Dos Lagos center went into foreclosure in December after developers defaulted on a $125 million mortgage and is now owned by a trust representing bondholders of the debt. Revamping the theater is just one step in a larger plan to increase center traffic and recapture lost value, he said.

Karen Lane, vice president of marketing and advertising for Phoenix, said the theater is still being assessed, but plans include expanded concessions, digital projection and surround sound, online ticketing, and digital 3D.

Harrington said the site has a 3D theater now, but two or three more will be equipped, too. Plans also could include a bar and lounge in the lobby, he said.

Harrington said Phoenix will reopen the cinema -- now referred to as the Dos Lagos Stadium 15 Movie Theatre on the shopping center's website -- as quickly as possible. Renovations will continue after the opening.

A job fair is slated for Thursday to staff the theater. The company is accepting applications for floor staff, projectionist and management.

Lane said the Dos Lagos movie lineup will depend on the market, but it would likely feature popular first-run films with a focus on 3D fare.

Phoenix operates 23 theaters in 14 states, including three in California: a discount theater in Norwalk and cinemas in San Jose and Fremont that specialize in international films.

Ramiro Rivas, director of operations for Miguel's California Mexican Cocina, located in the Dos Lagos center near the theater, said the restaurant took a little hit the weekend after the theater closed, but it was also a hot weekend, which tends to put a damper on patio business. The theater brought in good crowds on weekends, he said, particularly with the recent arrival of popular summer movies like Toy Story 3.

"We're excited about the new tenant that's coming in," he said

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.