CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Theatre Designer Joseph Musil Jr. has passed away

Author Topic: Theatre Designer Joseph Musil Jr. has passed away
Bill Gabel

- posted June 30, 2010 10:13 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre designer Joseph Musil Jr. has passed away on June 29th. 2010. He was 74 years old.
He designed the remodel for the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, CA and the Crest Theatre in Westwood, CA.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted June 30, 2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Both very beautiful & ornate theaters. R.I.P.

DID NOT KNOW that he submitted a proposal to Pacific Theatres' management to redesign the decor of the Cinerama Dome...and he would have added that pre-show for the Dome ala the ones created for the Crest & the El Capitan. Sigh...what would have been.

Pictures of his work - including that Dome proposal - are at Cinema Sightlines

Dave Felthous

- posted June 30, 2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused about the El Capitan. Maybe you older CA folks can straighten me out.

In the mid-1950s I was a teen-ager on a trip to CA. I remember there being an El Capitan Theater on a side street, near the Chinese and the-then Paramount. It was right around the corner from Grauman's, so the back of it was at right angles to the Chinese.

My recollection was that it was called the El Capitan. There were a couple of TV shows that originated from there. I remember the pitch, "LIVE, from the El Capitan Theater in the heart of Hollywood," or some such.

So if the "Paramount" was actually a made-over El Capitan, what was the name of the theater that was being used for TV?

Edward Havens

- posted June 30, 2010 09:03 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
The Avalon Theatre, located at 1735 N. Vine Street in Hollywood, has been known as the Hollywood Playhouse, the El Capitan, the Jerry Lewis Theatre and The Palace during its 83 year history.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 01, 2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, the theatre on Vine was around the corner from the Pantages Theatre. The El Capitan Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. had it's remodel in later 1941 and reopened as the Paramount Theatre in March 1942. The next small remodel happened in 1976 when SRO took-over the house and then the Disney major remodel.

And you can add Hollywood Palace to the theatre on Vine Street.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.