CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC starting new age restriction policy

Author Topic: AMC starting new age restriction policy
John Robert

- posted June 20, 2010 02:14 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
This might just be AMC locations in the DFW area but it doesn't say specifically if it is (or will be) chain-wide or not. I know it will be a pain to deal with either way. I remember when PG-13 came out, you really couldn't enforce that--no one had any ID with a birthdate at 13. So many times at my old theater, we were just glorified babysitters. One night there was a kid still left over at closing time, and no parents anywhere around. I've forgotten what happened about that issue.

KXAS/MSNBC news report

quote:
AMC Theaters Adopt New Age Restrictions

By Ashanti Blaize
NBCDFW.com
updated 9:46 p.m. CT, Sat., June 19, 2010

AMC Theaters across North Texas are rolling out a new attendance policy requiring anyone 17 years of age or younger to be accompanied by an adult over the age of 21 after 9 p.m. on the weekends.

For some families, an enjoyable evening at the Grapevine Mills AMC Theater can end with a bit of concern.

"You do see big packs of kids that are obviously pretty young in a large group," said Coppell resident, Elise Myers. "They're loud and they kind of are aggressive."

"You can tell they're not doing anything and they're doing something sketchy," said Myers' teenage daughter, Regan.

These are just two of the reasons the Myers family was happy to hear AMC Theaters have adopted a new policy. Some locations are handing out cards explaining kids 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 21 on weekends after 9:00PM.

"I think its a good idea because it gets a little crazy around here on the weekends," said Elise Myers.

"We are protective and we'd like that parental supervision," said Regan's father, Ronnie Myers.

Its a slightly different story for Lance White and his 17 year old daughter Whitney.

"Since we can drive I think we're old enough to come here to the movies without a parent," said Whitney.

Whitney's issue is the inclusion of 17 year old's in the new policy.

"I guess there's some kids that are doing bad things so its hard to regulate it," she said.

For Whitney's father, the issue is more about notification. At Grapevine Mills AMC Theater, there are no signs posted about the age restrictions anywhere near the self serve ticket kiosks sitting in front of the doors to the theater. The only sign is posted inside the theater.

"They better get the word out or they're going to have some very irritated people, parents included" said White. "If they don't know the rules and their kids had planned on going to the movies and they get out there and can't get in, it's really going to frustrate some people."

Frustrations that could lead some to make other plans.

"I definitely wouldn't come back with my parent," said Whitney. "I would just not come, so they're losing money off that."

|  IP: Logged

David Pulido

- posted August 08, 2010 03:11 AM      Profile for David Pulido   Email David Pulido         Edit/Delete Post 
This AMC policy, coupled with Rave Motion Pictures strong enforcement of city curfews, has led to a large number of teenagers coming back to my theater. Its good for business...bad for crowd control.

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 08, 2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
Starplex has utilized such a policy, at many locations, for a couple of years now. They originally instituted it at theatres that had problems, but have begun to use the policy elsewhere. From what I've been told, it's been highly successful in cutting back on graffiti/vandalism, fights, disruptive behavior. etc. Thus far, they've only had it at Texas sites, but Bakersfield, Ca. is currently starting up the program (I'm interested to see how the California market responds).

Back in the mid 90's, AMC attempted to experiment with an age restriction policy in Southern California. However, I remember it was quickly shut down, when someone filed an age discrimination lawsuit. I don't believe it actually went to court, as AMC just abandoned the idea to avoid legal hassles.

Chris Utley

- posted August 09, 2010 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's in LA already have this policy. I know for sure it exists at their Del Amo 18 location.

Edward Havens

- posted August 09, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember when PG-13 came out, you really couldn't enforce that--no one had any ID with a birthdate at 13.
PG-13 has never been a restricted rating. Parents have always been strongly cautioned that some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 10, 2010 10:27 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Right but theatres could choose to enforce the MPAA ratings or not as part of their own policies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.