CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Regal RPX Premium Experience (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Regal RPX Premium Experience
Eric Gieszl

- posted April 08, 2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like this trend with exhibitors. Are they going to start to charge you based on the screen size? Cinemark just opened a similar screen at the Stadium 25 in Orange and there is no way that I will pay for this experience.

--

Regal Entertainment Group Launches New Giant Screen Format RPX: Regal Premium ExperienceSM

Theatres to offer an enhanced experience in sight and sound

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC), a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, announced the launch of a new giant screen all-digital format called the Regal Premium ExperienceSM (“RPX”). The RPX is a custom-built premium environment featuring elegant and luxurious seats with high-back headrests, a giant immersive screen illuminated by high-quality digital projectors and completed with a state-of-the-art sound system for the best picture you’ve ever heard!

“Regal patrons have shown a strong preference for viewing films in premium environments”

“Regal patrons have shown a strong preference for viewing films in premium environments,” stated Greg Dunn, President and Chief Operating Officer for Regal Entertainment Group. “Each RPX location will be individually designed and tailored by our technicians and will feature high-quality digital projectors and screens complemented by a custom surround sound system. The addition of the RPX locations to Regal’s already successful IMAX® strategy will complement and extend the number of Regal theatres featuring premium movie-going experiences.”

Regal Entertainment Group currently operates 43 IMAX® Theatres. The company expects to add The IMAX Experience® to additional locations while also launching additional RPX locations in 2010.

The first RPX location will open on May 7 at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 on 42nd Street in New York. The Regal Premium Experience at E-Walk will include a massive screen stretching more than 60 feet wide to present bright, eye-popping movies in RealD 3D and 2D. The brightest, clearest images possible are delivered to the screen by dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors. The 100,000 watt digital audio system will surround moviegoers in a specially designed 9.1 speaker array providing pinpoint sound. This powerful sound system incorporates 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21” subwoofers for deep resonating bass.

Tickets for Iron Man 2 in RPX at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 will be on-sale this Friday, April 9th, 2010.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted April 09, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC's doing the same thing with their new ETX auditoriums. All these new auditoriums are is IMAX - minus the licensing fees for the IMAX name & equipment.

I guess the Premiere Cinema at the LA Live location will switch to this new format. Still not enough to make me go to the place more than once/twice a year.

Danny Baldwin

- posted April 09, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate all these... and not just because of the price. I find that the trend is trying to turn movies into amusement park rides, which they aren't. There's a huge difference between the grandeur of a place like the Chinese and the generic technical exceptionalism of one of these screens, even IF the technical specs were the same. So much of the reason why we go to the movies is the sense of community, and all this showy crud just eliminates this. Frankly, I'd far rather watch the latest blockbuster in one of the shoeboxes at the Burbank 8.

Jerry Norwood

- posted April 11, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Cinemark has their XD...so there is IMAX, RPX, ETX, and XD....and more to come I'm sure. This is not a bad thing.

Eric Gieszl

- posted April 12, 2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they installing silver screens? Also, AMC is advertising a discrete 12-channel sound system. I wasn't aware that movies were mixed in 12 channels. I know Dolby has developed a new 7.1 system that they showed at ShoWest and SDDS had an 8-channel format, but 12 channels?

This is a bad thing in my opinion. An upcharge for what an exhibitor should be doing (offering a first class moving going experience) at the normal price.

While digital IMAX is a rip off, the brand still offers something different since the film is digitally altered to be shown on the larger screen.

Dan Spaulding

- posted November 07, 2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Dan Spaulding   Email Dan Spaulding         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently Regal Cinemas is installing RPX at the Alderwood 7 north of Seattle in Lynnwood. There #1 auditorium is currently closed & getting retrofitted with a larger screen, there taking out 61 seats & the entrance is getting a makeover. Carpets gave been replaced by a blue tile floor outside the entrance to the auditorium. I'm guessing there will be a $5 upcharge which would make it $15.50 for all shows based on there current admission for Adults. This also explains why AMC is adding ETX at the Alderwood Mall 16

John J. Fink

- posted November 07, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Rave Motion Pictures is installing what they're calling an "I-MAX like" screen at Fallen Timbers in Ohio - but they haven't decided what their experience will be called yet.

Dave Felthous

- posted November 08, 2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is aiming for a Friday, Nov. 19, unveiling of the Alderwood RPX. It is not getting Harry Potter 7.1, however.

Although appearing to be an IMAX copy-cat, RPX is superior in at least one way: Any film can be shown in an RPX auditorium. No special filming process is required, as opposed to IMAX.

Rob Alexander

- posted November 08, 2010 02:15 PM      Profile for Rob Alexander   Email Rob Alexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot believe that of all the Regal/Edwards in the Los Angeles area, they chose the Edwards West Covina Stadium 18 as the location of their RPX system for LA. That theater is on its last leg, and I am surprised they are dumping that amount of money on that theater and not the Ontario, Long Beach or Irvine locations.

I have been to Cinemarks XD, IMAX LITE, and AMC's ETX. The common width screens with no masking (or curtains) whatsoever is not what I would call a 'premium' experience, but to each his own I guess. I could not tell any difference in image, only the sound was vastly improved.

Dave Felthous

- posted November 08, 2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike the lack of masking, too. They spend all that money, then cut a relatively small corner by not installing moveable masking.

Jeff Arellano

- posted November 08, 2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that means West Covina isn't closing soon like planned. It is on its last legs and needs to be shut down.

Aliso Viejo, Valencia, Mira Mesa, would also be good locations for their RTX

Mark Campbell

- posted November 09, 2010 01:18 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, is that the big house at the Alderwood 7 they are destroying?

Robert Crabtree

- posted November 11, 2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of those locations, Mira Mesa and Aliso Viejo, already have Dig. IMAX, and apparently Valencia is in the process of a conversion as well, as they have advanced sales for Harry Potter 7.1 in IMAX.

Dave Felthous

- posted November 13, 2010 12:41 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes, RPX is going into the big house, No. 1. Originally that auditorium had more than 700 seats. Then some were removed to create wheelchair areas.

Eventually the 1986 "French lounge chairs" began to wear out and replacements weren't available, so the broken ones were removed and the spaces left empty. This brought the seat count down into the 600s.

The 2004 retrofit reduced seating further, to about 585 counting wheelchair spaces. I heard that RPX requires removing more seats, but No. 1 will still have the largest count of any Regals in the Seattle district.

Mark Campbell

- posted November 13, 2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave. Do you know the seat counts in the other auditoriums prior to and post retrofit?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.