CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements
Chris Utley

- posted March 04, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the deal DID close after all. The Bridge is now listed on Rave's website. Rave doesn't have to do too much to make the place look like their other locations - it has enough orange & green in there ALREADY!

I guess any day now all the screens will be converted to digital. More than half of them were already converted during National Amusements tenure.

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Williams

- posted March 04, 2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Matthew Williams   Email Matthew Williams         Edit/Delete Post 
Was at Showcase Ritz Center last night, and that's one of the locations going to Rave.

You'd be very hard-pressed to tell that this theatre changed owners if you didn't see the very small sign at the ticket counter, where it says "Due to a recent ownership change, we won't take NA passes after March 31 and we'll take NA gift cards until December" and directs customers to a National Amusements email address. No mention that the new owner is Rave.

And for all intents and purposes, this is still a National Amusements theatre, so I think they're still managing things. Employees are still wearing National Amusements name badges. Tickets still say "National Amusements" on them, and popcorn bags still say "SHOWCASE AND MULTIPLEX CINEMAS". And yes, Pepsi is still being served at the theatres. And at least here, the popcorn still tastes like cardboard - but it was that way since Ritz was running the place!

That's not to say there have been changes. The National Amusements policy trailer has been removed, and they're just running the Dolby snipe. The "National Amusements" signs on the doors and lobby have also been removed. The Ritz-specific slide shows have been sadly removed; it's blank screens and silence before the movie begins. And they've added rolling stock advertising before the trailers... grr.

Scott Polidore

- posted March 16, 2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
welp,count toledo,ohio's cinema de lux as part of the deal now

John J. Fink

- posted April 19, 2010 05:24 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed some regions have been fully converted to Rave, some theaters showtimes just fell off (no listings for the Philly Bridge / now called Rave UPenn 6). Are they keeping the bars and the director's halls. Florence, KY which was the first Showcase Cinema De Lux built from the ground up with Lux Level is no longer selling Lux Level tickets online. It'd be a shame if Rave got rid of the cool stuff that made National Amusements awesome and set them apart from the typical multiplex (that is: a great food selection that went beyond movie theater fast food, clean theaters and mostly excellent projection).

Chris Utley

- posted April 19, 2010 08:57 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in LA, The Bridge is being transitioned to Rave 18. Funny thing is the only mention of Rave in the complex itself is on the digital poster board which alerts folks to sign up for Rave's weekly newsletter.

According to Rave's Facebook page, the transition will be completed in June - signage and name change will be updated.

Chris Utley

- posted May 20, 2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
According to their LA Times ad, Rave 18 (still being advertised as The Bridge) is now all DP...except for the (TRUE!) IMAX auditorium.

Chris Utley

- posted June 18, 2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Rave just dropped their first LA Times ad in the Calendar section today. As of now, the theatre is labeled as "Rave 18 (formerly The Bridge)." Movie Tickets is also selling tickets for the place as Rave 18.

The former The Bridge Cinema website has been officially shut down as well.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 18, 2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
And it is finally off of National's website as well.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 18, 2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for identity's sake they should have called it "Rave 18 at the Bridge" or "Rave Bridge 18". (unless they cannot keep the name "The Bridge". And I thought it had 15 screens).

Chris Utley

- posted June 21, 2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Bridge" and "Cinema de Lux" are both trademarked to NA. Therefore Rave, basically, had no choice but to change the name of the theatre. I do agree they could have come up with something a bit more zippy than Rave 18.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted June 21, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Rave is an exciting name though if it were marketed correctly. Much snazzier to say "Let's go to the Rave!" than "Let's go to the Bridge!"

Chris Utley

- posted June 24, 2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd settle for "Rave 18 @ Howard Hughes Promenade" as a suitable naming choice.

John J. Fink

- posted June 26, 2010 04:34 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing by going with the short Rave 18 they're denoting this as a flagship site, and I guess they're keeping the lounge and director's halls (now called "Rave Reserve"). They've gotten rid of the lounges and reserved seating at their other sites which I think is a mistake.

I've only ever been to the Phily Bridge and unless anything has changed before it became Rave Motion Pictures University City 6 - it was highly successful on Friday/Saturday nights as was it's 12 Lounge which has a separate entrance around back. 12 Lounge even had advertised in the local paper and had live music.

For the Universities there, when school was in session it was a destination, it seemed like a big get dressed up and take a date to kind of place and had a certain vibe. Rave I suppose is uninterested in that as I also heard they turned off the Media Immersion Room, got rid of the reserved seating, and closed 12 Lounge. This is a shame because this was easily the most beatiful mainstream multiplex I've ever set foot in.

Chris Utley

- posted June 27, 2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Exterior signage is up. Saw it today while zipping down the 405. It's a very loud orange all lower case signage that reads "rave motion pictures". I was not impressed...makes the theatre look cheap!

John J. Fink

- posted June 28, 2010 04:43 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't be any worse than what they've done at the RC Hazlet 12.

They took down the "Multiplex" lettering and centered "Cinemas" over the main entrance. As for the other signs including the one on the highway - they painted over "Multiplex". It looks like it was taken over by a cheap local chain (I've seen that countless times where the name of the chain is taken down leaving "Cinemas" or "Theaters"). Hopefully its temporary - because Rave did put up LCD displays at the snack bar.

As for that theater, and I have pictures I need to getting around to submitting - it was ironic I sat in a sloped seating theater and saw a slide in the pre-show telling me "Welcome to Rave Motion Pictures: The Ultimate Stadium Seating Theater' - they need to stop lying to their customers and finally accept that they aren't 100% stadium seating anymore and correct their website to reflect that.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.