CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements
Edward Havens

- posted February 10, 2010 04:21 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news and good news...

Bad news: The Hurt Locker will be moving out of the big 450 seat house after Thursday night, to make room for My Name Is Khan.
Good news: The Hurt Locker will be in the 275 seat digital house starting Friday, most likely through the rest of the Oscar season... unless we get Avatar first.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Utley

- posted February 12, 2010 08:39 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll still be there for the 3:30 show on Monday.

Danny Baldwin

- posted February 14, 2010 01:17 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious: can you say what movies have done the best at the BC13 in the past several months? Did MY NAME IS KHAN come near that humongous per theater average this weekend? The three times I've been there, I've never sat with more than 10 other people, but then again, I didn't go at peak times.

Chris Utley

- posted February 15, 2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The DLP presentation of "The Hurt Locker" was FANTASTIC! Edward, I think you should go all out and get DLP installed in the whole 13!

Are all your auditoriums equipped with digital sound? During the Mann incarnation, everything was ear splitting fuzzy center channel stereo.

Edward Havens

- posted February 16, 2010 12:57 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edward, I think you should go all out and get DLP installed in the whole 13!
From your lips to God's ears... although we might not have 13 screens when all is said and done. [Smile]

quote:
Are all your auditoriums equipped with digital sound? During the Mann incarnation, everything was ear splitting fuzzy center channel stereo.
If that. When we took over the building, House 7 only had right channel sound!

For the record, the sound processors themselves were in decent shape. It was the amps that were shot, and I couldn't tell you if it was during the Mann years, the Loews years or the Cineplex years when these things started failing. I can tell you we have spent a lot of time and a little bit of money to get the sound back to where it always should have been, but for now, all main floor auditoriums are Dolby A four channel stereo. House 1 still has the capacity for 70mm six track magnetic stereo, but for 35mm is still Dolby A. And House 2... well, you heard it for yourself. I usually put the Inception B trailer on just before the feature, because it really gives House 2's sound system a workout and really let's people know this isn't the same old Beverly Center.

I really do appreciate you giving the Beverly Center another chance with an open mind, and look forward to hosting your cinema club again soon.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 16, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,does "we might not have all 13 screens" mean you're expanding or closing screens or are you just talking presentation wise?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted February 16, 2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume it means they'll likely be lowering the number of screens in effort to make the location more pleasing.

I would also assume that Edward can't speak about these issues right now. [Razz]

Edward Havens

- posted February 19, 2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
It means there are things that can't be talked about because they're still in the talking phase, and things that can't be talked about because they're still in the Quixotic "To Dream the Impossible Dream" phase.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 03, 2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
When will National Amusements stop advertising the theaters as theirs? It kinda bugs me that they're still listed on their website.

Eric Gieszl

- posted March 03, 2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Eric Gieszl           Edit/Delete Post 
Why should they be removed from their website so quickly. It will only confuse the patrons.

Edward Havens

- posted March 03, 2010 06:26 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, transitions take time.

Chris Utley

- posted March 03, 2010 09:55 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait...the 2nd deal that included The Bridge closed? When? I thought the 2nd deal hadn't been finalized yet.

Ed: If "Hurt Locker" wins Best Picture, will you move it into your big balcony house for a week?

John J. Fink

- posted March 03, 2010 10:07 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
True, that and I susupect the transition isn't completed yet for all theaters (ie: those on leased land, the few that National had) - I don't think Enfield, CT has closed yet. Although I think National may have just been an "operator" for the mall as I'm not too sure Northeastern Theaters (the remaning unsold Hoyts sites) exists anymore. Then again who's running the still called Hoyts Simsbury Commons. Speculation is Hoyts still is, for a while Boston Culonary Group ran it.

Perhaps this is a question for people in the biz - unrelated to the National/Rave transaction: what was the connection between Hoyts, Boston Culonary Group, and Frank Theatres. For a time certain theaters owned by Franks Theaters were run by Hoyts. BCG, the parent company of Entertainment Cinemas also ran sites for Hoyts. Were these strictly management companies? Franks Theaters (in NJ) also took over a site Hoyts stopped construction on and finished in Bayonne.

Sorry for the questions - as for the Rave/National merger I think National is still managing the theaters while Rave assesses the purchases and decides on a rebranding stratagy for the sites. Film Journal has two articles on the merger.

quote:
Film Journal International
In addition to such demographic and geographic compatibility, the combined Rave now stands to reap the benefits from integrating the physical and operational sides of the acquisitions as well. “We obviously didn’t want to make any changes over the busy holiday season,” Stephenson explains. “The process of rebranding the newly acquired theatres as Rave will be starting now. Going forward, we have a very thoughtful and well-planned-out integration process.” From his point of view, “we have two really good companies here. We can learn a lot from National Amusements, as we have some things to offer them as well.” Elaborating upon the goal of “best practices,” he assures that “we are going to work very hard to integrate the best of both worlds.” Of course, there are economies of scale to be had when it comes to vendor agreements. “On the cinema-advertising side as well,” Stephenson feels, “the bigger footprint you can deliver to your advertising partners, the more helpful it is to them.”

One good example for the smoothness of the transition—and one that keeps the potential confusion of guests in mind—is the fact that moviegoers can find their favorite local theatre in any given area, both on the www.ravemotionpictures.com and www.showcasecinemas.com websites. Also, NAI will retain their respective names and trademarks, including Cinema De Lux, Showcase and Multiplex Cinemas. Their former locations will be “rebranded in the right Rave style,” Stephenson says, but without being forceful. “Each building will be a little different. Some of them will be spiffed up a bit more perhaps than, let’s say, Fairfax Corner 14 (Virginia) or Buckland Hills (Connecticut), which are beautiful buildings just as they are right now. There will be name changes and you may find some more digital signage, such as menu boards within the theatres, for example, and some other features that we have found to be working very well for us.”

Has anything changed at the National theaters - ie: has Pepsi switched to Coke, and has the popcorn changed from the delicious National Amusements popcorn to the Regal like popcorn I had the one Rave site I visited a few years back? My travels may take me to Springdale, Ohio in the next month so I might have an answer for myself then.

Edward Havens

- posted March 03, 2010 10:49 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens         Edit/Delete Post 
With Avatar going in to the digital house, The Hurt Locker will be in the #1 house starting Friday.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 04, 2010 07:33 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info John... very interesting to see such an open approach to the entire transition. I'm just used to seeing all the original company websites down on day #1 and the new company acting like it was theirs forever. It'll be interesting to see the changes that Rave makes to the NA locations. (What will the Northeast do not being able to call everything a Showcase?!?!)

As for Hoyts/BCG etc. I think Hoyt's had a lot of dogs and those companies you named seem to be the type of businesses that try to make dogs run. I'm pretty sure that BCG operates or has loaned money for many of the snack bar operations at Entertainment Cinemas. Entertainment was/is probably supposed to pay BCG back with a percentage of their snack bar receipts until the loan is paid off. My assumption is that they defaulted on a loan or two and that's how BCG gets full control of the theatres. (Though why would you want full control of something that probably failed to meet percentage loan payments?!) This is all speculation of course as there was (is?) a company out here (Pacific Concessions Inc) that did similar things for the company I started with. We made two deposits every night, one for PCI's share of the concessions and one for Box Office + the company's share. In exchange PCI would provide the inventory, equipment and manage your prices and selection etc. As for locations that nobody seems to run, my guess is that mall management runs it, possibly with the silent help of BCG or another small chain.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.