CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements (Page 0)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Rave Buys 29 Theatres From National Amusements
Jeff Arellano

- posted July 13, 2010 12:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Rave closed last night the Maumee 18 in Maumee OH. It was a cinema de lux as a national. relatively short life span for this theater.

|  IP: Logged

John J. Fink

- posted July 13, 2010 02:21 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the comments and the amount of coverage on this closing which seems unprecedented, folks in the Maumee region aren't too happy. Some claim the 18 is better attended than Fallen Timbers, which I always suspected was opened because the developers at the life style center were looking for a theater operator and National probably figured better them then AMC, Regal or Rave. One of the news videos featured an interview with patrons inside of one of the large auditoriums, it looked like a great size (well over the 299 ADA cap that most operators hold themselves to) - National built the best modern multiplexes, in NJ I still prefer Edgewater to the newer Garden State plaza on many counts (namely excellent popcorn, high quality expanded concessions, easier parking and seats that are just as comfortable). A few of my friends from Western Mass told me years ago that when they visited an AMC that they forgot that all movie theaters aren't as nice as the Showcase in West Springfield, which I think proves why people dug this place - I have a few friends from CT that aren't happy or impressed by Rave - which only seems to focus on digital, digital, digital and nothing else.

Scott Polidore

- posted July 15, 2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Scott Polidore   Email Scott Polidore         Edit/Delete Post 
couldnt make it out to maumee last weekend, that was a heartbreaker [Frown]

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 15, 2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The new rave signage on the bridge is horrible. I took a picture of one of them.. Ill post it tomorrow. They also neglected to put up signage on one wall.. So now all it says is IMAX. They painted over any cinema de lux labelscar.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 15, 2010 10:28 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- if it's the same logo they put on the other theatre from the Maumee 18 closing news footage, it's definitely an odd choice... it's generic yet not totally dignified font.

John J. Fink

- posted July 16, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
They probably painted over the orange "The Bridge" signage that existed on the auditoriums walls. I personally dug the Philly bridge and wonder why it was a brand that wasn't expanded to more urban markets. White Plains, NY which has an excellent Cinema De Lux would have been an ideal location for The Bridge (although City Center is both geographically and symbolically is right in between the upscale Westchester mall and the not so upscale Galleria).

Chris Utley

- posted July 16, 2010 08:45 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to Rave 18 LA tomorrow to see Inception - my first time inside since the changing of the signage and all. I'll be in the IMAX room - which was never covered in that Bridge orange - so I won't be able to report on auditorium changes. But I'll get a birds eye view of everything else.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 16, 2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
The orange-lowercase rave logo on the Bridge:

-

Chris Utley

- posted July 19, 2010 10:27 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The sign seen on the 405 is bigger and more pronounced.

I DID go on Saturday 7/17. Decor is exactly the same. The LED flat screens that direct folks to their auditoriums and the credit card kiosks have been Rave-ified. 12 Lounge (the restaurant/bar) has been renamed CRAVE and the menu has been tweaked. Concessioh stands switched from Pepsi to Coke [bow down] The IMAX auditorium looks exactly the same...but the opening spiel welcoming folks to the theatre was...WEIRD.

quote:
"Hello and welcome to the IMAX Theatre In West Los Angeles for this evening's presentation of INCEPTION!"
[barf]

No mention of Rave. Just absolutely bland. Makes me wonder if Rave's planning to rename this theatre after all.

John J. Fink

- posted July 19, 2010 07:10 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also strange Rave isn't pimping IMAX on their site like other theaters do - you would never know they operated IMAX venues until you've selected a theater and your at Movietickets.com.

The whole sites of coarse needs an overhaul: "Our Markets" is out of date and makes no mention of the new sites. "Theater Amenities" mention that "every Rave Motion Pictures will boast the following state-of-the-art features: 100% Digital Projection, True Stadium Seating, Hi-Back Recliner Seats with Cup Holders and Arm Rests, 18 in Stadium Risers...." - - they should be sued for continuing to mislead customers (take a look at my picture of Hazlet - a sloped seating theater where an actual slide played on the pre-show boasting "Rave Motion Pictures: The Ultimate Stadium Theater").

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted July 20, 2010 07:01 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is OT but is D-BOX really worth the $8.00 Ultrastar is charging on top of thier regular admission prices?

Also,i saw on thier website that a Scottsdale,AZ location is opening soon.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted July 20, 2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're taking over one of the old UA's. Either the Scottsdale Pavillions or the Sonora Village.

The company I used to work for (Cinema West) has D-Box at some of their theatres. I should check it out.

Jeff Arellano

- posted July 20, 2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Pavillions, I just posted it in the other forum =)

Chris Utley

- posted July 22, 2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam/Scott: The page for the former Bridge needs to be updated with the theatre's new name Rave 18.

http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/15410.html

Chris Utley

- posted November 21, 2010 08:02 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
The good folks at Rave have done some serious makeover work at Rave 18 in LA. Gone are the neon colors & neo-space age fixtures. They've painted the place in burnt orange and the entry way to each auditorium is now covered in marble! That big neon green couch at the main entrance is toast and some standard issue brown recliners are in it's place.

And the [C]RAVE Restaurant (used to be called 12 Lounge) has had it's lighting adjusted. It's dark and (unnecessarily) moody in there - almost impossible to see the face of the person you're talking to.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.