CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Regal Thornton Place 14 and Imax, Seattle

Author Topic: Regal Thornton Place 14 and Imax, Seattle
Dave Felthous

- posted March 17, 2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
Fandango is now listing the theater, so maybe it will open sooner than what I had been told, which is the end of May. It doesn't look nearly ready, but maybe they're going gangbusters to get it up and running in April.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted March 19, 2009 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably trying to get some of the early summer bookings so the AMC Oak Tree doesn't get them.

Speaking of the Oak Tree...predictions? Would make a great 2nd run house. THE LAST SRO BUILD MUST BE PRESERVED!!

Dan Roben

- posted March 20, 2009 01:31 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
The Oak Tree 6 must be preserved, yes! But it is surely not the only original SRO theater still standing. Don't forget the Uptown 3, Factoria 8, Totem Lake 3 and Sehome 3.

As for the future of the Oak Tree, in the past I might have said AMC will pull out or switch immediately to a bargain house for a short time before pulling out. But the fact that they are still showing first-run films at the Renton Village 8 (only about 2 miles or so from the Regal Landing 14) may mean the Oak Tree survives...at least for a while. The fact that Seattle's north end is underscreened (especially when compared to the Southcenter-Renton juggernaut) might provide a stay of execution for the beloved Oak Tree.

Jerry Norwood

- posted March 23, 2009 04:38 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Thornton Place Stadium 14 with IMAX will be opening in May. Also, I have seen this facility under construction when I was in Seattle a few weeks ago. The exterior looks similar to that of the exterior of AMC Southcenter 16. A lot of gray painted steel siding. Looks a little on the "blah" side. I am sure Regal will load that theatre up with a lot of neon signage.
 -

Dan Roben

- posted April 17, 2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Regal has announced that the Thornton Place 14 and Imax or, as locals will surely call it, "the Northgate Theater" will open on May 22. Prior to that dayte, as is typical for a Regal opening, there will be a week or so of $2 charity screenings, which is always a good thing. My prediction is that Thornton Place is going to be a goldmine for Regal. North Seattle is a horribly underscreened market.

Also, the new Cinebarre, operating out of the former Regal Mountlake 9, will throw open its doors one week later on May 29

Dave Felthous

- posted April 18, 2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to the Regal district office y'day but wasn't told an opening date. They are having a Job Fair to hire employees in a couple of weeks. Brian Kelley, most recently GM at Everett 16, will run North, er, Thornton Place. Where did you see Regal's announcement, Dan?

Adam Martin
Administrator

- posted April 18, 2009 08:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's on their website under "Grand Openings".

Dan Roben

- posted April 19, 2009 02:47 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I actually read it on Seattle Times Film Critic Moira McDonald's blog, Popcorn and Predjudice. The text is as follows (and yes, I kinda stold that Northgate line from her):

April 16, 2009 3:06 PM

Opening dates for new theaters in Northgate, Mountlake Terrace

Posted by Moira Macdonald

Last month I blogged about two new theaters under construction in the north end of town (and the departure of the Regal Mountlake 9). Now I've got some more specific idetails about the Thornton Place Stadium 14 & IMAX (which is a hell of a long name; you know we're all just going to call it "that new Northgate theater"). Its grand opening is May 22, with free popcorn and soft drinks (one each, natch) available with paid admission through May 31. Several $2-admission benefit preview events will take place prior to the grand opening, on May 18-20, to benefit Newspapers in Education, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and Communities in Schools.

The new Cinebarre theater, in the Mountlake 9's old location, opens May 29. It will feature a full menu, including alcoholic beverages, and is an 18-and-over facility (though kids over 6 can attend designated shows if accompanied by parents). The Mountlake theater is the fourth in the Cinebarre chain and the first on the west coast.

Here's the link: http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/movies/2009/04/16/opening_dates_for_new_theaters.html

Mark Campbell

- posted May 30, 2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Thornton Place is open. Nearby AMC Oak Tree 6 has not gotten any new films in 2 weeks. This seems to be the exact reverse of the situation in Lynwood where the AMC Loews Alerwood Mall 16 competes with the older Regal Alderwood Stadium 7. Except the 7 seems to be holding its own...

Jerry Norwood

- posted June 03, 2009 06:58 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well....Alderwood 7 is Alderwood Stadium 7. It was remodeled in a big way few years ago. New box office, new concession stand, and new stadium auditoriums. That's why it can hold it's own.

Mark Campbell

- posted June 03, 2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
"Land of the Lost" and "The Hangover" are both opening at the Oak Tree this weekend and not the Thornton Place. And "Wolverine" is moving from the Oak Tree to Thornton. Perhaps AMC has enough booking might to duke it out.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.