CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Mountlake 9 (north of Seattle) to close, reopen as Cinebarre

Author Topic: Mountlake 9 (north of Seattle) to close, reopen as Cinebarre
Matt Lutthans

- posted March 04, 2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
From today's Herald (Everett, WA):

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=2&category=1

Mountlake Terrace theater to serve food, cocktails

By Bill Sheets
Herald Writer

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE -- The Regal Mountlake 9 theater will cease to exist after Thursday, but it's scheduled to return with a new twist.

The movie theater will close for remodeling and return in late May as a Cinebarre, where moviegoers will be able to eat while they watch.

Based in Asheville, N.C., Cinebarre operates three theaters: one in Asheville; one in Mount Pleasant, S.C.; and another near Denver, Colo.

It's a chance to do dinner and a movie in one place, said Terrell Braly, who co-owns Cinebarre with the Regal Entertainment Group, the company that owns the Regal Mountlake 9.

"It's primarily finger food, such as pizza, hamburgers, chicken, steak sandwiches, veggie burgers, but they're all made from scratch," Braly said. "You could have a pizza and a beer for about $12."

The Mountlake 9 building at 6009 244th St. SW will be gutted beginning next week. One of the theaters will be remodeled into a kitchen. In the eight others, the equivalent of every other row of seats will be replaced with a table that runs the width of the theater.

Customers place their orders at their seats -- most are placed before the movie starts but may be placed at any time during the show, Braly said. Moviegoers enter to see a full bar in the lobby. The theaters do not have snack bars, Braly said.

Children under 6 will not be allowed, and those ages 6 to 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

Other companies employ a similar concept. Gold Class Cinemas operates upscale venues in Redmond and South Barrington, Ill., and Oregon-based McMenamins has dinner-movie venues.

Patrons outside the theater Monday gave the idea mixed reviews.

"I think it sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it'll go," said Gigi Johnson of Kenmore.

Matt Ervin, 18, of Lake Forest Park, loved the idea, though he was disappointed to hear the theater would be closed for nearly three months. The scheduled reopen date is May 29.

"I've been here twice this week," he said.

Mountlake 9 was built in 1994, according to city of Mountlake Terrace records.

Cinebarre expects to hire about 125 people at the Mountlake Terrace theater, Braly said. Business has been good, he added, saying that's why the company is expanding.

Cinebarre has had its eye on the Seattle market for some time, Braly said.

"We've always looked at the Seattle area as being just prime from the demographics," he said.

He used two words to describe the remodeling cost -- "extensive" and "expensive," but declined to reveal numbers.

While the company likes the Seattle area and is planning on opening more theaters, it's not likely to add another in Seattle anytime soon.

"We don't want to oversaturate the market," Braly said. "We're not a neighborhood thing, we're a destination entertainment experience."

Bill Sheets: 425-339-3439, sheets@heraldnet.com.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Felthous

- posted March 06, 2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
My Regal source says he doesn't think the new operation will serve liquor, just beer and wine. Ticket prices will be standard, not sky-high like the Gold Class in Redmond, and the menu will be a la Applebees or Red Robin. Not gourmet by any means. Still,this kind of place doesn't appeal to me at all.

Matt Lutthans

- posted March 06, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Matt Lutthans   Email Matt Lutthans         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you, Dave! Count me out...

Dan Roben

- posted March 08, 2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
Arrggghhhhhh! I missed this, and now it's closed. It's a shame to lose one of Seattle's best "old-school" multiplexes with its nicely sloped, non-stadium seating, side masking in the larger five of the nine cinemas, good projection and excellent sound.

I'm willing to give the "Cinebarre Mountlake" a chance if only to see what they've done to the place. I checked out their website www.cinebarre.com to get an idea of how they operate.

The three sites that are currently operating charge standard admission prices for first-run films. Although not strictly adults only, management definitely discourages kids (age 6-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, kids under 6 not even admitted at all except during special crybaby matinees), so that would hopefully mean a decrease in obnoxious behavior (keeping in mind that obnoxious behavior knows no age limit).

As far as the menu goes, you can have soda and popcorn brought to you, but candy is missing (another nod to the age policy). The bulk of the menu is made up of finger foods, pizzas and burgers, and they seem to be fairly priced. For example, their half-pound "Cineburger" with cheese and all the fixings goes for $8, not an outlandish amount. Now, whether you want to eat a half-pounder is another thing altogether.

What is annoying are the cute names assigned to most of the items, ranging from the punny "Lord of the Onion Rings" ($5) and "Children of the Popcorn" ($5), to the what-in-the-hell-were-they-thinking "Soylent Greens Salad." ($8) I can imagine Charleton Heston shouting "These Soylent Greens Salads are made out of people!"

Beer ($3.50 to 4.50 a pint) and wine ($4 to 7 by the glass) is also reasonable.

Unlike the old Aurora Cinema Grill (not very good food, lousy theater) and the destined-to-be-closed (my prediction) over-priced and under-attended Gold Class Cinemas in Redmond, this place has a chance of making it IF the food is prepared reasonably well (nobody should expect a five-star dining experience here). Unfortunately, most people don't care about 'film done right' so if projection and sound are maintained as they are now, that's a plus for theater geeks like me. Featuring weekly or monthly special film series (a la the Cinema Drafthouse chain in Texas) during slow nights would also be a big plus.

So I'll go at least once. Who knows? They may actually get it right this time.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted March 08, 2009 06:17 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Adam and I met the CEO of Cinebarre at the old UA Thornton Towne Center 10 in Thornton, CO while we were there last. He was VERY nice and their operation was fantastic. He invited us to visit the other Cinebarres should we ever pass them.

I liked the one in Colorado a lot, it was the first movie grill I had been to that was more than just chairs from Office Depot setup in front of a ledge.

There's a full tour on the Colorado page.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 12, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it works, though I am sad to see the Mountlake go away in its original form. This was my default theatre of choice for Hollywood fare when it first opened and I lived in Seattle in the mid '90's. My buddies and I would skip by 2 booking zones to see something there, mostly because of the great sound and all THX auditoriums. My only gripe was that there was not one giant "showcase" auditorium like Crossroads, Oak Tree and Alderwood Cinemas had. This biggest auditorium at the Mountlake is not too much bigger than the other 4 "large" ones and they are not that large at all. Also back then the top-down masking in the 4 small auditoriums did not bug me, but it would now.

This conversion now means that the only unaltered slope-floored all-THX Act III builds left in the Puget Sound area are the South Hill Mall 6 in Puyallup and the Issaquah 9.

Still, I am glad Regal kept an interest in it in some form. The Thorton Place (Northgate Mall) Theatre they are building nearby is far enough away to be in a different booking zone, but close enough to heavily impact the Mountlake's business if they didn't do something different with it. The Everett 9 (a twin to the mountlake) was not so lucky when they opened the Everett Mall Stadium 16 and in Renton the East Valley 13 now suffers as a discount house with 2 damaged and closed auditoriums with the opening of The Landing Stadium 14 4 miles away. At least they kept it open...for now.

Jerry Norwood

- posted March 12, 2009 01:45 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
It is perfect timing for Mountlake 9 to turn into Cinebarre for the simple reason that the Thornton Place Stadium 14 + IMAX will be opening in May. While the two theaters would not have fought for product, Thornton Place would have definitley took a bite out of the already delicate attendance base.

David Au

- posted March 13, 2009 07:20 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, this dinner theater will be successful. Dinner theaters can be very successful as long as they are well run. The reason that movie theaters go out of business is due to terrible picture quality and terrible customer service.

As long as they keep the projection presentation top notch, and deliver great customer service, I think they will do well. They need to keep the prices reasonable and offer great tasting food. The reason that the Gold Class Cinemas is probably not doing so well, is that the prices are outrageously high. Prices need to be reasonable to attract customers.

From the photos of Cinebarre in Thornton, it looks like their auditoriums feature a sloped floor instead of stadium seating. It probably offers good sightlines because the rows are spaced so far apart. You don't need stadium seating if the rows are far enough apart.

Dave Felthous

- posted March 15, 2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy who is bar manager at the Village Roadshow Gold Class Cinemas in Redmond tells me that they are in litigation with Regal over bookings.

The studios, realizing that pricey Gold Class and a mass-market chain like Regal would not attract the same customers, offered to let both theaters book the same films even though they're only a mile or so apart.

Regal has refused to take any pictures that Gold Class is playing, and, so far, Regal is winning.

Gold Class is continuing to have problems with our dinosaur Liquor Board. They agreed to designate one auditorium as alcohol-free, but they're not allowed to move that designation from theater to theater as business warrants.

No wonder McMennamin's lone cinema/bar in Washington is in lowly Centralia, while they have many popular venues in more progressive Oregon.

Mark Campbell

- posted March 15, 2009 09:36 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Will Mountake also need a designated alcohol-free auditorium as well?

And not to keep this thread off track but I still don't know why a distributor would want to put their film in a theatre that only has 50 seats or less per auditorium like the Gold Class in Redmond. (not sure what their take of the $37.50 price tag is though). Quantum of Solace opened there and even if it was on, say, 3 screens that would only be 150 seats per show. If the Regal had played it it would be several hundred seats per show, so not sure of the benefit for the distrib's standpoint. It does seem, however, like the Gold Class's bookings are getting less desirable or long in the tooth.

Dave Felthous

- posted March 15, 2009 09:49 PM      Profile for Dave Felthous   Email Dave Felthous         Edit/Delete Post 
The high prices at Gold Class mean that the studio gets more money by playing there. If the deal is 80/20, 80 to the studio, they get 80% of $37.50 rather than 80% of the $10.50 top price at the nearby Regal.

Gold Class runs many sets per day, more than Regal, and they start earlier -- like 11 a.m., even on weekdays. Even if some shows play to empty houses the studios still are money ahead most of the time.

I suspect the Cinebarre that's going into Mountlake 9 will have to designate an alcohol-free auditorium and won't be able to move it. They may not know that yet.

Supposedly Mountlake won't have cocktails, but photos of their other venues show an obvious area of liquor bottles as well as wine bottles and numerous beer pumps. Again, because of our archaic liquor laws and the hassle they cause, they may have opted to not serve cocktails here.

Doesn't matter to me, I don't intend to go there.

Jerry Norwood

- posted March 23, 2009 08:25 PM      Profile for Jerry Norwood   Email Jerry Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
In any case, it will be interesting to see how this Cinebarre performs......I wish I could see P&L's.....detail P&L analysis which include, but not limited to cpc's, per caps, unit per caps, OCF, etc... will determine if this type of operation is successful....especially in Mountlake Terrace.

Mark Campbell

- posted May 30, 2009 10:29 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Opened this weekend. Anyone know which screen got knocked out to be the kitchen?

Dan Roben

- posted July 29, 2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I havent't been there yet, but a friend of mine has and he believes the kitchen occupies one of the small theaters to the north of the snack bar that face the parking lot.

My friend, who is an accomplished caterer (live in the Seattle area and need a caterer? You can't go wrong with him--send me a PM) said that the food was quite good, all prepared fresh from fresh ingredients. I don't recall what he and his wife had, but they found it a good deal for the money.

The interior hallways of the complex feature giant blowups of posters of famous films. A bar featuring beer and wine occupies one of the former snackbars.

I'll be checking it out shortly and will be reporting back...

Bob Allen

- posted August 01, 2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Bob Allen   Email Bob Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
I responded to their ad and they wanted to set up an interview but I decided not to follow-up. I'd like to see it when I'm in the area though. I used to live in Mountlake Terrace. I think you're right about the kitchen Dan. They told me it would have 8 auditoriums.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.