HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Muvico in California

Author Topic: Muvico in California
Ron Pierce

- posted September 22, 2008 07:56 PM      Profile for Ron Pierce   Email Ron Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
Last updated: September 16, 2008 06:32pm
Macerich to Debut Repositioned 1M-SF Oaks Center
By Bob Howard
THOUSAND OAKS, CA-The Macerich Co. has slated Oct. 17 as the opening date for the opening of a new two-level, 103,000-sf open-air lifestyle expansion of the one-million-sf Oaks shopping center in this Ventura County community. The Santa Monica, CA-based shopping center REIT is transforming the 30-year-old shopping center from an enclosed mall into a retail and entertainment destination where 23 new stores and restaurants will open this fall.
The new stores and restaurants are expected to open in two phases this fall, followed additional openings of new retailers in 2009. The lower level of the new lifestyle expansion will feature fashion and accessory stores for juniors and young adults, as well as several options for fast-casual dining, while the upper level will feature women’s lifestyle and fashion retailers.

Macerich calls its repositioning of the Oaks property “the first significant changes in the center’s 30-year history.” The openings this fall will follow the Sept. 5 opening of Ventura County’s first Nordstrom, a 138,000-sf store at the Oaks, where Macerich earlier this year opened a new food court and restrooms, an outdoor dining patio and a multi-level parking deck.

Construction on the multi-phase expansion and redevelopment project began in the spring of 2007 at the Oaks, which is located off the Ventura Freeway (Highway 101). Including the new lifestyle expansion, approximately 130,000 sf of new retail space will be added to the center, including the first Muvico Theatres venue on the West Coast. The reconfigured property will feature more than 180 speciality stores upon completion of the project. Its major retailers include Macy’s Women’s, Macy’s Men’s, Home & Children’s, JCPenney and Nordstrom.

Since Macerich began construction on the renovation, 40 retailers have expanded, renovated or opened new stores inside the Oaks. Of those 27 are new stores, including five that are their first Ventura County locations.

Copyright © 2008 ALM Properties, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
For reprint information call 410-571-5893 or e-mail afaulkner@remedianetwork.com.

|  IP: Logged

David Au

- posted September 22, 2008 11:01 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
This is incredible news. Muvico has never ventured so far west.

Muvico by far has some of the most beautiful movie theaters in the country. The Parisian has paintings all over the walls and ceilings like the Sistine Chapel. They also have some theaters with an amazing Egyptian theme. I cannot wait to see what theme this theater will look like. Muvico has brought back the grandeur of movie palaces and their movie screens are huge! Their theaters are true palaces.

Christopher Crouch

- posted September 22, 2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought Muvico would be a nice fit for the southern california market. It's just too bad they didn't get in a few years ago. A lot of the premium theatres they'll be compeating against were "inspired" by what Muvico has been doing elswhere.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 23, 2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Muvico does have some neat theatres, but all in all they're not that special. I've been to the Egyptian and the Parisian, they look just like a movie theatre but with faux treatments all over the place. By that I mean it has your standard snack bar and lobby configuration but it's just glitzed up. Perhaps I've been to Vegas too many times and I'm just not impressed by fake columns anymore.

Chris Utley

- posted September 23, 2008 09:21 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't impressed by the one Muvico I've been to. The lobby was spectacular but the auditorium I was in (along with the ones I took a peek at) sucked!

David Au

- posted September 23, 2008 10:28 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
Their theaters are multiplexes. Some of the screens probably are small shoeboxes, but they do have some big ones.

This one looks quite big with side masking:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/culturewaves/2611528815/

Or how about this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveharnell/2513811623/

[ September 24, 2008, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: David Au ]

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted September 24, 2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not convinced. [Razz]

Chris Utley

- posted September 25, 2008 11:14 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Those look like the smaller rooms at Arclight. Oh well...they'll be in Thousand Oaks which means I'll never get to see the place face to face!

Jeff Arellano

- posted October 02, 2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I drove by this theatre yesterday on my way to a job site for work. Its a very small looking theatre. It also is on a weird end of the mall.

Jeff Arellano

- posted December 21, 2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I just learned that my old GM at AMC is going to be running this theatre.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted February 26, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
Opens tomorrow,Feb 27

Mark Campbell

- posted February 26, 2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the showtimes for opening day, it will be playing the same films as Mann's theatre a few blocks away. Seems like a similar arrangement that is happening between Mann and Pacific in Glendale: same booking zones, same films.

Do studios prefer this? Further saturating a film on more screens?

Do exhibitors prefer this? Is being able to play any film they want no matter what else around in the same booking zone better than getting half the titles (or less, much less if you are the underdog) but as an exclusive run in the zone.

I was surprised in Glendale. Saw a film at the new Pacific Theatre then went across the street to an older Mann to see a different film. Even though both films were playing at both theatre Mann's ticket prices were the same as Pacific. I would have thought they would have had a slight cut in price to give their older theatre an edge. (I actually preferred Mann with its huge screen but I suspect most patrons would feel "newer is better".)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.