CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Plano, TX: 8-screen IPic Theater coming next year

Author Topic: Plano, TX: 8-screen IPic Theater coming next year
John Robert

- posted January 10, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
Dallas Business Journal article (originally in South Florida Business Journal)

quote:
Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 2:05 PM EST

IPic to open in Texas, Illinois
South Florida Business Journal

Muvico founder and former Chief Executive officer Hamid Hashemi's young entertainment company, IPic Entertainment, said it is opening two locations in Texas and one in Illinois.

The Fort Lauderdale-based entertainment company opened its first location in Glendale, Wis., last month.

IPic said its Schaumburg, Ill., location will open this year and its Texas locations, in Glorypark and Plano, will open in 2009.

IPic's model contains:

* Ovations Restaurant, a 250-plus-seat restaurant and full-service bar offering lunch, dinner and late evening dining.
* Sequel bar, which also offers a complete restaurant menu.
* Pinstrikes, a bowling venue with couches and 12 to 20 stylized lanes that can be partitioned and reserved for private parties.
* IPic Theaters, featuring six to 10 digitally projected ultra-deluxe movie screening rooms with stadium seating and oversized love seats for two - 6 feet wide with 54-inch row spacing on 24-inch risers. Amenities include assigned seating, wall-to-wall curved screens, high-definition digital sound, full-service bar and online ticketing. IPic also has a "no advertising" guest service policy.

Included in the concept, but not yet implemented at any location, is IPic Live, a club-like setting for live performances. The club is to offer both a full-service bar and dining. IPic Live is also to introduce At Your Service, where food can be purchased online and brought directly to the patron's seat upon arrival.

"When you think of entertainment, IPic will be the first option you are going to go for," Hashemi said in a news release. "Not unlike shopping at the mall, where you know there's a certain collection of good brands inside, IPic's guests can decide what to do once they get there."

Hashemi was the CEO of Muvico from 1984 to 2005. After he left, he and the theater company filed multiple suits against one another. They finally settled in November, with Muvico buying out Hashemi's share in the company and Hashemi purchasing Premier Aviation of Boca Raton LLC from Muvico for more than $25 million.

Dallas Business Journal article

quote:
Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 3:02 PM CST

Entertainment venue planned at SH 121 and Preston
Dallas Business Journal - by Lauren D'Avolio Staff Writer

IPic Entertainment, which is currently building an entertainment venue in Arlington's Glorypark, has a similar concept coming to Plano.

The 55,000-square-foot Village 121, aptly located at State Highway 121 and Preston Road in Plano, will include eight movie screening rooms, 16 bowling lanes, and a 250-seat restaurant and bar. It is set to open in 2009.

It's part of a bigger mixed-use project incorporating 500,000 square feet of lifestyle retail, including a 70,000-square-foot Market Street grocery store, plus housing, office and hotel space, all being developed by Lincoln Property Group.

IPic founder and CEO Hamid Hashemi said he's targeting the young professionals and families that heavily populate the suburb.

"If you want to be in the Dallas market, Plano's one of the markets you want to be in," Hashemi said. "It has the demographics."

Hashemi declined to provide the cost of the project.

IPic is looking at other parts of Dallas to open, but is still in negotiations. Hashemi hopes to have the Arlington and Plano locations open next year, then another two by 2010.

The $600 million Glorypark is being developed through Steiner + Associates and Hicks Holdings, founded by Tom Hicks, owner of the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Stars. The project combines retail, dining and entertainment space, residential, office and hospitality uses.

Glorypark will be built in two phases, consisting of 1.2 million square feet of retail, 800,000 square feet of office space, hundreds of high-rise and mid-rise residential units and two hotels.

Plans call for the first phase to be completed in fall 2009. The second phase is expected to open in 2010. It will include eight movie screening rooms, 18 bowling lanes, a 350-seat restaurant and bar, and a 350-seat "live" venue. It will open in 2009.

Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based IPic Entertainment is planning to open four to six sites per year. It has locations in development in Texas, Illinois and Florida.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted January 15, 2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you outside of DFW, Glorypark is the (unfortunately named) development being built around the Cowboys new stadium. I'd love to try to go see a movie there on game days...

As for the Plano location, it's barely going to be in Plano, as SH-121 doubles as the city limits between Plano and Frisco. If it goes in there, it will be right across the street from AMC's 24-plex at Stonebriar Mall. That intersection is also a traffic nightmare already, or it was the last time I was brave enough to go out that way. I can't imagine dropping a giant entertainment center there will improve the traffic situation in any way.

John Robert

- posted January 16, 2008 04:43 PM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured some developer couldn't let even 1 of the corners up there stay vacant for long, even if it has the last remnants of a massage parlor in a mobile home (uhh, don't ask).

Believe me, the traffic isn't any better. More and more people are moving out that way, and it takes me longer and longer in the mornings getting home from work (my full-time hotel job is in the area). It might improve some whenever they finally get the 121 main lanes done, but then again.... At least they have that nice overpass for Preston over 121 now, so no stopping there.

Mark Richey

- posted January 17, 2008 01:06 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow--I remember those! I can't believe even one is still there!

During the summer of 1996, after my freshman year of college, I took a math course at the Quad C campus in Frisco. My parents lived (and for that matter, still live) in south Plano (near 15th and Custer), and in those pre-Turnpike, pre-Tollway north of Spring Creek days, the fastest way was a straight shot up Preston. North of Spring Creek, it was almost completely rural, and had almost no traffic. The campus stood out amid all the farmland around. It's amazing how much has changed in 11 1/2 years.

Incidentally, I also spent the summer working for the dearly departed GCC Collin Creek 6, and still have my uniform shirt (which, for some reason, is hanging up in my closet in my apartment instead of packed away somewhere at my parents house).

John Robert

- posted January 18, 2008 08:37 PM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
The mobile home's been gone for at least 4-5 years now, but the light pole with the electrical connection is still there, and the driveway, and some debris, which has been overgrown with weeds.

An old buddy of my late father was instrumental in placing some of those little installations along Preston and on 121. As soon as he finished his 'unexpected vacation in Huntsville (or wherever)' for the last one he put in, he'd start another, and later would get another 'vacation'... [Wink]

It is amazing to see that whole area go from nothing to what it is now. When I lived in Plano before (1965-1971) there was nothing west of 75; it was always neat as a kid driving by the Plano drive-in, and trying to figure out what movies were on the screens and what they were saying. Of course, Dad never took us to one of them, so I was left only to my imagination.

The season of 'Dallas' where J.R.'s shooter is revealed is on DVD now, and has the scene in the season premiere with Pam and Bobby picked up by a DPS helicopter; it was filmed at 75/Parker and you could see one of the Plano drive-in screens in the background.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.