CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Owner of the New Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles has passed away

Author Topic: Owner of the New Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles has passed away
Bill Gabel

- posted July 20, 2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Sherman Torgan the owner and manager of the New Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles has passed away. The New Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles is one of the truely last revival houses running the Los Angeles area.

New Beverly Cinema

quote:
greencine

"From Hollywood Elsewhere comes sad news from the very heart of Hollywood," writes Dennis Cozzalio. "Sherman Torgan, owner and manager of the New Beverly Cinema, died unexpectedly yesterday while bicycling in Santa Monica."

"I imagine he died doing what he loved, which is a happy thing; I don't think anyone could run a theater like the New Beverly for three decades without having a passion for it," writes David Lowery. "There's an art to showing movies, a sort of showmanship crossed with curatorial craft, and it's slowly being lost. It'll never fade completely (not as long as devotees are willing to set up screenings in Parisian catacombs), but as of today its its lustre is a little bit dimmer than it was before."

"[S]ome of you may have noticed he got a thanks in the Grindhouse credits," notes Blake Ethridge at Cinema is Dope. "Condolences to everyone that knew Sherman and were touched over the decades with his charge and dedication in providing films old and new a place to still breath and to be discovered all over again."

[ July 21, 2007, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell

- posted July 20, 2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Truly a sad loss for his family, Los Angeles, the exhibition community. A brave pioneer who kept a revival house going when most were disappearing in the adverse conditions of the home-video market.

Hopefully his family will be brave enough to carry on with the New Beverly in honor of his memory.

I would like to thank Sherman for giving me the chance to see one of my favorite underrated films, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", on the big screen.

Bill Gabel

- posted July 24, 2007 05:15 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they will be closing their doors Tuesday. A friend got a call about this news.

Mark Richey

- posted August 30, 2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the theater has reopened and is still operating. The upcoming movies look cool. It's a shame that I don't live in L.A. (or, for the sake of my wallet, it's probably a good thing I don't live in L.A.!).

Chris Utley

- posted August 30, 2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that bad...as long as movie going is your only hobby (it is mine!). Spending $30 bucks on a weekend at the movies definitely costs less than a shopping spree on clothes, power tools and bathroom fixtures!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.