CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Dallas: Casa Linda Theater sells, *won't* be theater again

Author Topic: Dallas: Casa Linda Theater sells, *won't* be theater again
John Robert

- posted December 01, 2006 09:06 AM      Profile for John Robert   Email John Robert         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the Alamo Drafthouse deal didn't go through, while the new owners want to make it into retail...

Dallas Morning News article

Casa Linda Theater's next role: shopping space

11:03 PM CST on Thursday, November 30, 2006

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

Developers have purchased the historic Casa Linda Theater and plan to convert the empty movie house into shopping space.

A partnership represented by Dallas' SC Companies recently acquired the 61-year-old cinema in northeast Dallas from a group of investors who had hoped to revive the theater.

The Spanish-style building at Buckner Boulevard and Garland Road anchors the Casa Linda shopping center and has been vacant for almost seven years.

The new owners plan to remodel and lease the 12,000-square-foot building to one or more tenants, Grey Stogner with SC Companies said Thursday.

"Right now we are doing some environmental abatement and demolition on the inside of the building and are marketing it to retailers," Mr. Stogner said. "We want to try and maintain the architectural integrity of the original theater."

Casa Linda Theater closed in 1999, a victim of changes in the cinema business. It was one of the last small neighborhood theaters operating in the Dallas area.

Since then, owners have considered converting the theater into a combination cinema and restaurant and other uses. But those deals never got off the ground.

County deed records show that the new owner, Woodstead Realty LP, bought the building in early November with a $7 million loan from Amegy Mortgage Co.

Mr. Stogner said tenants for the building would be lined up by early next year.

"It's a great area with tremendous demographics," he said.

"We're glad to be there."

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted December 11, 2006 09:45 AM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad, but when the deal to turn it into a cinema grill fell through, I figured that the movies would never return. I wonder if the new owners will finally take down the marquee on Garland Road, which has been proclaiming that “You've Got Mail" and "A Bug's Life" is now playing for years now.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted December 11, 2006 10:33 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wanted to get into that place for some detailed photos. My understanding of how it was chopped up made the place sound quite unique.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.