CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » Cinemark to buy Century Theatres? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cinemark to buy Century Theatres?
Kyle Muldrow

- posted August 10, 2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Kyle Muldrow   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Muldrow         Edit/Delete Post 
BEGIN RESPONSE TO RANT

Sounds good, Chris! As things stand at the moment, Saturday would work best for me. I'll call you tonight or tomorrow and see what works best.

Chester Cheetah, huh? I guess it IS easy being cheesy...

END RESPONSE TO RANT

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 10, 2006 04:49 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to a Cinemark either.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted August 10, 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to a Cinemark once. it was the location they had in the Victorville mall on Bear Valley Road. i saw "Dying Young" there

On a trip to Vegas,i went with my aunt to the former Century Desert 16 theatre built on the site where the Desert 5 Drive-in once stood. We saw "Postcards From the Edge".

Don't remember if Victorville had stadium seating but Vegas did.

John J. Fink

- posted August 10, 2006 07:24 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only been to two Cinemark sites: a modern 20-plex at Festival Bay in Orlando, FL and an 80's style 10-plex in Sandusky, OH which was behind a Wal-Mart and looked like some horrable government style building from the 70's. Inside it was bland but in the style of many other Cinemark sites I've seen here.

I've never been to Century, from what I see here they look to be well run, clean, modern theaters. Cinemark, I was suprised to learn a few years ago was as big as it was (Cinemark also had submitted a bid to buy Loews years ago, which would have given them a bunch of Northern NJ locations). They were nothing special, the 20-plex in Orlando was nice but common and nothing special compaired to the near by Muvico, Universal Cineplex and AMC Pleasure Island. It was cheaper, I will say that.

While it won't effect me I don't like the fact the industry is consolidating, I miss the sort of exotic feeling you got when you went somewhere and visited a regional chain that you don't have at home. I'm glad to see Cobb is back and Crown operates in CT but its only a matter of time before these smaller chains sell out (although Cobb I bet won't - there foothold in the Southern market I think is that people aren't really impressed by Regal any longer...if they ever were). In general its bad that AMC, Cinemark and Regal are running exhibition, aside from a few locations they lack inovation. AMC is the best of the bunch. I would much rather see National Amusements start buying up theaters and fixing them up - they are the best chain in the country and are the closest thing to the General Cinema glory days we have anymore....and they have better popcorn than Cinemark.

The Evil Sam Graham

- posted August 10, 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for The Evil Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email The Evil Sam Graham         Edit/Delete Post 
The sound "quality" will drive you up the wall.

You might not mind it so much otherwise.

If Regal can still run the remaining Act III buildings with the presentation level they are now, I believe Cinemark can run the existing Century buildings just as well.

I actually like Cinemark. A well-run Cinemark can be a perfectly decent place to watch movies. But if nothing else, I still like to see the THX trailers, and I still like to see that Century Spotlight trailer.

The big deal here is we're losing the last major exhibitor that really "got" it when it came to presentation. And that blows.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 10, 2006 08:04 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Richard - the Victor Valley 10 used to be an AMC before AMC pulled out of Victorville. So its not a true Cinemark, it still looked like an AMC when I saw it before they tore it down and built the new 16 plex there.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted August 10, 2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know AMC was in Victorville.

Makes me wish I had driven out there to take pics before it was demolished... I love seeing take-over theatres.

I'd give an eye tooth to see the inside of the Cinemark turned Regal in San Jacinto or Hemet... wherever that is.

Chris Utley

- posted August 10, 2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I got caught in one of the (MANY) wildfires that shut down the I-10 Cajon Pass. We ended up going to the Cinemark in Victorville across from the mall to see Star Wars Episode 2. Sound was loud. Screen was kinda wide. The rest was crappy Cinemark just as I remembered.

Looks like Kyle and I will officially MAKE THE CALL sometime this weekend.

[ August 11, 2006, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Chris Utley ]

Christopher Crouch

- posted August 11, 2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider is that the Syufy brothers will have seats on the board. So, there is always a chance that some of Century's ideas/style will continue or at least be incorporated in to the new company. Obviously, Cinemark will be the dominant voice, but that doesn't mean everything Century will be removed. It's not like they are going to strip existing Century theatres of their equipment. Example: they might not continue paying for THX certification, but the theatres that had the certification will be the same (minus the official documentation).

Chris Utley

- posted August 12, 2006 08:48 PM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from the Cinemark 14 in Long Beach (with Kyle, of course). Definitely did a lot to erase those bad memories from 10-15 years ago. Good theatre with decent sound. Cinemark and Century's screens are just about the same so the proposed transition wouldn't be so bad.

Jeff Arellano

- posted August 13, 2006 07:28 AM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Victor Valley was the same 10-plex cookie cutter layout they used in the 80's, just like the original Burbank 10, Chino 10, Plaza 10, etc.. 5 on one side, 5 on the other, v shaped concession in the middle, one level (no upstairs projection). It was built when the mall opened in 1986. You entered the theatre down a corridor in the food court. I dont know if the new theatre uses this corridor or sealed it off.

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 08, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark has updated their website to include the Century locations. [Frown]

The links from their "locations" page don't go anywhere, but they're at least listed there. According to their website the Century Great Mall 20 has moved from Milpitas to Malpitas, CA. And they took the great expense of moving the Century 16 Anchorage from Alaska to Arkansas.

David Au

- posted October 08, 2006 07:01 PM      Profile for David Au   Email David Au         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much will change for Century Theatres. Will the name change or will it be pretty much business as usual?

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted October 08, 2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
The name will not change externally. An article quoted Cinemark's representative as saying something along the lines that Century will be just another brand of Cinemark, similar to Movies, Tinseltown and Hollywood.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted October 09, 2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
How soon do you think it will be until Century closes down its website like GCC,UA,Edwards,Signature,etc. did after THEY were taken over by thier respective owners?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.