CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC to start showing indie movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AMC to start showing indie movies
Dan Roben

- posted May 06, 2006 11:06 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the nonsense! But in Seattle, there's a wrinkle. Apparently, The Promise is not 'independent' enough to warrant the oh-so-special "AMC Select" label. I guess it's just a 'regular' film.

In Seattle, AMC is using this dubious marketing scheme at the Meridian 16, Pacific Place 11, Uptown 3, Alderwood 16, and (most oddly) the Renton Village 8, located in a heavy blue-collar area. Of course this can be explained by the booking of Thank You for Smoking there, likely on it's last gasp (pun intended).

Landmark, which has a large presence in Seattle proper, but nothing in the 'burbs, has nothing to worry about.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Richey

- posted May 07, 2006 01:35 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're just pointing out to Joe Q. Public "Look at us! We're cool! We have ART MOVIES!!!" The minute a blockbuster comes along, they'll replace those screens with first-run, mainstream product.

AMC did that 11 years ago when the Grand opened in Dallas. I remember they made a big deal about how they were going to devote a few screens to art films. Its first weekend, they actually did have 4 art titles playing (including, I believe, The Bride With White Hair). The next week, all 4 titles were gone, and as far as I know, they've never run another, unless it had gone at least semi-wide.

As for AMC's current announcement, more art screens would have been plenty welcome back then, since there was just the 3-screen Landmark Inwood and 2-screen UA Cine 1n 1995. Now, there are 16 screens in Dallas devoted to art films (and that's not counting the Angelika Plano, which usually runs titles also playing in Dallas).

Eric Hooper

- posted May 08, 2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper         Edit/Delete Post 
If "I Am A Sex Addict" was on the marquee at the giant mall megaplex, it would have sold WAY MORE TICKETS than it already has just based on the name alone.

Brad Erickson

- posted May 12, 2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Brad Erickson   Email Brad Erickson         Edit/Delete Post 
I really do not understand why they made this into news. Many of the films they are categorizing as AMC SELECT they would be showing anyway. Recent Examples: GOAL! (which is Disney) AKEEHAH AND THE BEE (Lionsgate) KEEPING UP WITH THE STEINS (Miramax) are not really unique films. It is not like they are really digging deep and finding obscure films like LAEMMLE shows.

John J. Fink

- posted May 13, 2006 12:47 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Select is stupid - its a brand name for the new art screens in the chain that exist, nothing new will come of this. If you look at what they consider art films anyway (listed above) its nothing daring or alternative, just a bit high brow and more sophisitcated than M:I III.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted May 13, 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
So,what about movies like "La Mujer de mi Hermano" from Mexico and foriegn film Oscar nominee from China "The Promise"?

Those are movies that both Laemmle(and Landmark,for that matter)and AMC are showing.

Take another look at the films listed on the website and weed out the "popcorn movies". That's an impressive list of movies they're willing to give screen time to.

How many other big chains(other than Regal or Century on thier specialty screens)are going to show a documentary by Al Gore? [LOL]

Give it a chance before you condemn it,that's all i'm saying.

[ May 13, 2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Richard A Stegman Jr ]

Michael R. Rambo Jr.

- posted May 13, 2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Michael R. Rambo Jr.   Email Michael R. Rambo Jr.         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Philadelphia market, here are the "AMC Select" Theatres for the week ending 5/18:

• AMC Cherry Hill 24
  • AMC Neshaminy 24
  • AMC Hamilton 24
  • AMC New Brunswick 18
  • AMC Franklin Mills 14
  • AMC Freehold 14
  • AMC Marple 10
  • AMC Painter's Crossing 9
  • AMC Orleans 8
  • AMC Stroud Mall 7
In NYC and North Jersey, here are the following AMC Select Theatres ending 5/18:
  • AMC Empire 25
  • AMC Palisades Center 21
  • AMC Jersey Gardens 20
  • AMC Clifton Commons 16
  • AMC Kips Bay 15
  • AMC Monmouth Mall 15
  • AMC 34th Street 14
  • AMC Port Chester 14
  • AMC Wayne 14
  • AMC E-Walk 13
  • AMC Bay Plaza 13
  • AMC Lincoln Square 12 and IMAX
  • AMC Menlo Park 12
  • AMC Ridgefield Park 12
  • AMC East Hanover 12
  • AMC Newport Center 11
  • AMC Nassau 10
  • AMC Raceway 10
  • AMC Mountainside 10
  • AMC Paramus Route 4 10
  • AMC Essex Green 9
  • AMC Harlem 9
  • AMC Roosevelt Field 8
  • AMC Shore 8
  • AMC Plaza 8
  • AMC Orpheum 7
  • AMC Alpine 7
  • AMC Bridgewater Commons 7
  • AMC Bay Terance 6
  • AMC Kings Plaza 6
  • AMC Meadow 6
  • AMC Fantasy 5
This list will change, I believe, every week. [Cool] [Cool]

Dan Roben

- posted May 14, 2006 01:37 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what's happening in Seattle. This week, every AMC theater except The Cinerama is featuring at least one "select" feature.

I really think that AMC is missing the boat on this one. IMHO, they should choose one or two smaller complexes per market (if a smaller complex exists) that are situated in an area close to a college or university, or in an upscale neighborhood and completely rebrand the theater, even creating a new circuit name that is completely separate from AMC. In Seattle, the natural choice would be the Uptown 3, which happens to be 100% "select" this week.

This doesn't mean that regular AMC houses can't play the independents, they should just drop the "select" designation since it really means nothing to the typical patron.

John J. Fink

- posted May 14, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
It's irrelvant, AMC Select is a brand, I doubt it will be met with much fan fare. AMC will always show movies like Akeelah and The Bee and Goal! The Dream Begins (these features are listed as AMC Select). I agree, they own enough of the market share to create an upscale sophisitcated cinema that is rebranded in some way, even setting aside that small screen at the 30-plex and re-tooling it with leather seats or something.
AMC Select is bassicly Regal CinemaArt - it doesn't mean anything. Regal CinemaArt lists a wide aray of cinemas, some are multiplexes (like Winter Park Village in Orlando) that show two or three art films a week (ussually though true art pictures, I saw Kontroll, from Hungry, at Winter Park Village last August when I was in town). Now if AMC was to start showing Hungiarian movies at Clifton Commons, that would really be bold but they play what will attract the largest crowd. To be fair to AMC they claim that it will play art films that apeal to the masses, but Akeelah and The Bee, which was a brillent movie isn't really an art movie, after all it did have a wide release.

Mark Richey

- posted June 18, 2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Mark Richey   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Richey         Edit/Delete Post 
As of this weekend, the AMC Select label officially became a joke.

This week, the films listed that way in Dallas were "An Inconvenient Truth", "A Prairie Home Companion" and..."The Lake House"??? Aside from being a modestly priced adult drama released in the middle of the summer, how in the world is a ordinary-looking romance starring two popular stars "select" (other than the obvious answer that Warner Bros. paid for the placement)?

John J. Fink

- posted June 19, 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I've actually started to warm up a bit to the AMC Select brand, my over reaction to it was based on the news articles written about it - they jumped to conclusions that were wrong - AMC/Loews has always shown these types of movies, they are really nothing new. They are giving these movies distinction and hopefully added attention, most are worthy of this attention I guess. Now, the question we really have to ask is anyone visiting the AMC select section at AMC's website to find out if that inventive modestly budgeted, smart studio counter-programed movie is playing locally and what its about. AMC likely wouldn't create an art chain within the chain. They don't really have "branded" theaters (aside from the Loews theaters sites which may eventually be folded in and exclusivly known as AMC) the way that National Amusements does with The Bridge, Showcase, Multiplex, and Cinema De Lux brands (Showcase and Multiplex offer the same experience, Cinema De Lux offers higher end movie going, and The Bridge is almost like going out to a club). Truth be told if I could see my art movies at my local AMC with stadium seating I would probably opt to see them there over a crummy art house theater with poor projection and uncomfortable seating (and come on, we all know art house theaters that are like that - The Clairidge in Montclair, NJ springs to mind right now). If this brings at least one movie wider exposure than I guess morally it worked. Even though I still think indie film isn't the type of thing that can ever be marketed to a wide audience, certain films require you to be of a certain cultural mind frame or open to experiences that the audience that saw, say, Larry The Cable Guy at their AMC may not be up to. AMC doesn't claim to, they are pitching accessable movies to mainstream AMC types of audiences. In places where Loews played more daring movies (like NYC) those movies will continue I'm sure.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted June 20, 2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
The box office numbers for "An Inconvenient Truth" say "Yes!" people are going to "AMC Select" theatres,and other big chains,to see movies like this.

Mark Campbell

- posted February 15, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
In Seattle at the AMC Loews Uptown 3, they have been showing "I'm Not There" for quite some time but NOT branded as "AMC Select". However "There Will be Blood" and "Juno" ARE "AMC Select". Go Figure! You would think it would be the other way round! How do they pick 'em? Next thing you they'll list "Jumper" under AMC Select...

Dan Roben

- posted February 16, 2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pondering that one too, Mark. Under AMC's very broad definition of what is a "select" film, "I'm Not There" certainly qualifies, as do "Juno" and "There Will Be Blood." I'm just wondering if it isn't some kind of advertising typo that nobody has bothered to correct.

Mark Campbell

- posted February 19, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they are the people who in their newspaper ads call the Seattle Cinerma the "Cinerama 1". What a multiplex mentality.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.