CinemaTour
Cinema History Around the World
 HOME ·· CINEMAS ·· FORUM ·· LINKS ·· BOOKS
 Contact Cinematour ·· Help & Hints ·· About Cinematour
Cinematour Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cinematour Forum   » Cinemas in the News   » AMC merging with Loews Cineplex (Page 5)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Author Topic: AMC merging with Loews Cineplex
Ron Newman

- posted January 26, 2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has to own them before they are divested. Ceasing to advertise them would damage their resale value.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Roben

- posted January 26, 2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Dan Roben           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the theatres being divested are listed because the Justice Department is allowing AMC to run them until they are sold. As a previous poster stated, AMC has about four months from tomorrow's date to sell them.

Ron Newman

- posted January 27, 2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought today was supposed to be the big Rebranding Day ... but in today's Boston Globe, all five of our remaining Loews Cineplex theatres are still advertised with Loews logos and names (for instance, "Loews Theatres At The Loop" in Methuen, MA)

Tom Mundell

- posted January 27, 2006 06:47 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell         Edit/Delete Post 
The rebranding probably won't happen overnight; when they rebranded GCC theaters it took some time before everything (signs, trailers, ads) completely switched names.

Ron Newman

- posted January 27, 2006 06:57 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, new signs are going to take a while, but I expected AMC to make a big advertising splash in newspapers nationwide. Maybe that comes later.

Richard A Stegman Jr

- posted January 27, 2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Richard A Stegman Jr   Email Richard A Stegman Jr         Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't switched over from Fandango to MovieTickets.com either

Ron Newman

- posted January 27, 2006 07:27 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read elsewhere, that would require breaking or renegotiating a contract, and therefore could take quite a while.

Chris Utley

- posted January 27, 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for Chris Utley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Utley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you look at Movietickets.com its called the AMC Crenshaw 15.
[Frown]

According to Fandango, the've renamed it "MJ Crenshaw 15". I'll get an LA Times to confirm today.

Surely AMC isn't stupid enough to take Magic's name off the theatres he built. If they do - in spite of the impact those theatres have in their respective communities, they'd better get their PR people ready to do some serious butt kissing in the hood.

Ron Newman

- posted January 27, 2006 09:18 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
So what about the Star Theatres in Michigan? Loews Cineplex always kept that as a separate local brand.

John J. Fink

- posted January 27, 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for John J. Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John J. Fink         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Star Theaters were always kept seperate because a few years ago Loews only owned half of this opperation, when they bought out 100% stake in it they never changed the branding (the way they never rebranded Cineplex Oden sites). If AMC rebrands I'd look for the name to come down. As for Magic Johnson, I belive those theaters were a partnership between Johnson and Loews - it'd be stupid to remove the name since the mission of those sites is to bring economic devolopment to "the hood" - AMC lists the Magic Johnson theater in New York City as the Harlem 9.

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 27, 2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
Now noticing the MW Entry it says AMC Magic Johnson Crenshaw 15. Lets see what happens.......

Scott D. Neff
Tour Guide

- posted January 28, 2006 05:09 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Email Scott D. Neff         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm gonna have to stop by all the old Loews locations and take new pictures with the new signage.

I thought I was done with that after the GCC takeover. Why can't AMC be more like Loews and Regal and just leave the old company alone??? [Razz]

Jeff Arellano

- posted January 28, 2006 10:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano         Edit/Delete Post 
At least AMC (in the case of Redondo Beach Galleria) cleaned up the place and made it nicer looking. I hope they do the same with Loews.

Paul Bubny

- posted January 29, 2006 06:51 AM      Profile for Paul Bubny   Email Paul Bubny         Edit/Delete Post 
If AMC does maintain their new acquisitions and spruce up some of the sites that had started to hit the skids under Loews Cineplex, then maybe the merger/takeover has a bright side. I have to say that the two former GCCs near me (Essex Green 9 and Clifton Commons 16) have stayed clean and presentable since AMC took them over.

I'll miss the Loews name, though. Even memories of that distinctly '80s "Thank you for coming to Loews/Sit back, relax, and ENJOY THE SHOW" jingle seem a little sweeter now. And let's not even get into whether the 'plexes carrying the Loews name could measure up to the movie palaces that once did. (They couldn't, but still...)

Ron Newman

- posted January 29, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Ron Newman   Email Ron Newman         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what is the oldest Loew's theatre that has stayed open all the way from Loew's glory days to the present merger? Are there any?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

© 1995-2013 Vision Entertainment Services. All rights reserved.